After finishing my Tamiya Archer spg I have decided to come more up to date vehicle so enter the 1/35 Trumpeter AS90 self propelled gun. I found on that well known auction site this Trumpeter AS90 advertised as having been water damaged but complete so having decided to take a chance made a silly offer which was accepted. As the pictures show the box and instruction sheet are water damaged but functional, the parts are still in there bags as was the decal sheet to there shouldn't be any problems. 

IMG-0256.jpg

IMG-0257.jpg

IMG-0258.jpg

IMG-0259.jpg

Hoping to scratch the interior as in the past  as I was involved with the base overhaul of the AS90 so time will tell if my memory is still any good.

If you have an interest please feel free to tag along, this will not be a fast build and as always comments and information welcomed

Thanks for stopping by your time is appreciated

Stay safe                    Roger

• Like 14

OK time to start on this one properly, first off the return roller brackets were fitted together with the hydrogas suspension units, final drive units and the track tensioner mounting brackets, the rear hull/door plate was also added. 

Next on the list was to mark out and add the internal bulkheads ready for adding some detail, Trumpeter don't supply anything for the interior although the drivers hatch, Commanders and loaders hatches, rear access door and the large door on the left hand side of the turret are all separate items and can be posed either open or closed and have internal detail moulded on them.

Not much done so far but it is a start!

IMG-0260.jpg

IMG-0261.jpg

IMG-0264.jpg

And one with the hull top in place to check fit with the internal bulkheads in place

IMG-0263.jpg

Thanks for looking in your time is always appreciated

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

I assume these where the replacement for the Abbott?

Thanks for the comment Darryl and yes it did replace the Abbott.

I look forward to your input with this project.

Stay safe       Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the likes they do help with the mojo!

OK time at the bench is short at the moment but some progress has been achieved!

The GUE unit cover has been added and the control box which sits on top of it. The internal side of the drivers periscope has been scratched and put in place on the hull roof inside. I have also started to mock up the drivers instrument panel but no photo's of that at present.

IMG-0267.jpg

IMG-0268.jpg

IMG-0269.jpg

IMG-0270.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your own projects are advancing toward the finish line

Stay safe                  Roger

• Like 11

I think that this is the first one of these that I have seen on here, so it's caught my attention. It may even persuade me to look out for one at Telford. Good luck with the build Roger.

John.

• Thanks 1

Nice work Roger,  scratch built internals too! :like:

Something I know nothing at all about so it'll be an education for me.

Hope all's well, looking forward to watching your build progress...

Did @Bullbasket mention Telford.... so soon.:tmi:

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The AS90 replaced both the Abbot and M109A1. The turret is also used on the Polish Krab, which was initially on a T72 hull, but is now on a South Korean K9 hull.

Here is a video of the Krab in Ukrainian service, which shows the turret interior -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, viper-30 said:

Very cool . I built one of these a while ago with full scratch interior.. 

spacer.png

Nice interior and thanks for showing an interest in mine. I look forward to your input and guidance.

• Like 2

Not done a lot as last weekend was spent at Bovington Tank Museum for the September South West Model Show which went ahead despite recent events. 

Anyway work has continued on the interior fittings with the plastic fuel cell added to the right of the GUE housing and the two shell vertical stowage rack was placed just in front of it, I still need to add the retaining straps but the main part is there. 

Moving on to the drivers compartment the brake and throttle pedals have been put in place together with the brake booster valve and some of the pipe work. I have also added some of the padding to the side walls, fabrication of the drivers IP has also been started.

IMG-0272.jpg

IMG-0273.jpg

IMG-0271.jpg

IMG-0274.jpg

IMG-0275.jpg

Thanks for stopping by your time is appreciated and I hope your own projects are progressing well

Stay safe                   Roger

• Like 12

20 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Will much be visible once assembled?

Hope you had a good show

Thanks for your comment Darryl.

Apart from the drivers hatch there is a view from the the rear  access door which allows some view of the drivers compartment, enough to be noticeable if left bare.

The show was very good thank you, just the one day instead of their usual two - it was planned that way before recent events.

Thanks to @viper-30 and @edjbartos for your kind comments and too everyone for the likes

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1

Thanks for all the likes and comments, they are very much appreciated.

For this week I've still been stuck in the drivers compartment without the advantage or knowledge of the dark art of 3D printing I'm still doing it the old way with bits of plastic card and wire, so things take me a bit longer to add the detail although it's not as sharp or accurate  as the printed parts that others produce. Anyway the LH side has had the gear change and the parking brake lever added, and the drivers instrument panel has been shaped and painted and should I think be good enough when everything is put together. The RH side has had the fire control box added with the start of the ventilation trunking put in place, a start has also been made on fabricating the drivers seat.

IMG-0276.jpg

IMG-0277.jpg

IMG-0278.jpg

IMG-0280.jpg

IMG-0279.jpg

Still more to do in the drivers before moving on to the fighting compartment and turret.

Many thanks for your time it is very much appreciated as are your comments

Stay safe                   Roger

• Like 13

I see that I'm not the only one heading for madness because of tiny details. It's looking first rate Roger. And I'm with what had been said by others. I prefer to scratch build my stuff, but It does have it's uses for some items. Besides, lashing out £300 for a printer, deprives me of at least three kits.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to @Bertie McBoatface @ivan-o @Bullbasket @Model Mate & @Jasper dog for the kind comments and too everyone who has put a like on my thread they make all the difference and keep the mojo going.

Still stuck in the drivers compartment with the addition of the drivers radio/comms box, the drivers seat parts have been painted and apart from the back rest have been assembled and fitted to the hull. Also two boxes have been fabricated and added behind the drivers seat which has allowed a bit more of the ventilation trunking to be added as well as the addition of the battery master/distribution box ready for the cables to be added. The GUE cables are in place running down the side of GUE housing, the drivers IP has also been fitted in place ready for the cables to be added, that leaves the steering yoke and some brackets to make and fit and then I can move on to the fighting compartment and turret.

IMG-0282.jpg

IMG-0283.jpg

IMG-0281.jpg

IMG-0284.jpg

IMG-0285.jpg

IMG-0286.jpg

Very many thanks for your time and I hope that your own projects are progressing well

• Like 5