Academy/Eduard 1/72 early F6F-3, mid F6F-3, F6F-5 Hellcat and Now F4U-1D Build

After completing the F4F-4/IJN B5N2 Kate linked below, I decided I was still into building Pacific theater aircraft. I thus decided to turn my attention to the USN's Ace Maker--the F6F Hellcat.  For this build, I am building Eduard's F6F-3 as an early Hellcat, Academy's F6F-3/5 as mid-war Hellcat and finally Eduard's F6F-5 as late war Hellcat.  Inspiration for this particular build from came@CraigH 1/24 Airfix build, @Dermo245 early Hellcat, @Corsairfoxfouruncle's USS Essex builds and numerous visits looking at the shear size of the actual aircraft.  Additionally, @opus999's Bearcat build got me energized to think about a USN dark blue F6F-5 that his aircraft was designed to replace.   

My primary resources beyond the bench of knowledge here are the following books Valiant Wings F6F in Airfame and Miniature, F6F in Action,  F6F Walk Around, F6F in Detail and Scale, F6F Hellcat at War, F6F Hellcat vs Zero-Sen, and the Grumman F6F Hellcat (Kit Build) by Skalbania/Wasik.  For a primer on colors, I used @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies color coats website and I purchased a complete set of his USN WW2 colors--the painted lids are a nice touch, @Dana Bell's Corsair book for general USN color info and the AK Real Color's or WW2 book (though I understand this is a bit controversial to some, it does at least have good info to at least start thinking of issues). Hopefully with this research might feel better when someone notes a color error and then I can point to Johnny's @The Spadgent advice to just move on with it and enjoy 🙂 I truly do learn from these points outs, so please dont hesitate to point out an issue--AMS is beginning to creep up on my model building walk and G's @giemme's miniature replicas are keeping it alive in a good way:-).  As a scene setter here are links to the RFI and build threads--all the folks who helped me here I greatly thank

Its almost a months old, but I would like to thank Mike @72modeler and @Jackson Duvalier for looking into some of my F6F-3 mid-Hellcat questions.  Due to their help, I decided to tackle the Academy kit first as I thought it would be the hardest build as it needed the most scratch work to accomplish to bring up to today's standard.  I decided to use the Academy kit as the basis for my mid-F6F-3 based on the points outs in the Valiant Wings book.  I will use the Techmod decals for VF-1's White K-21 while assigned to the "new" USS Yorktwon, CV-10 to replace the Academy decals. I was attracted to this build based on my recently completed F4F-4 assigned to USS Yorktown, CV-5.  Here is the link to the questions on this  aircraft as well as a picture

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hellcat/VF1/pages/Grumman-F6F-3-Hellcat-VF-1-White-K21-aboard-CV-10-USS-Yorktown-II-1944-01.html

I plan on using Eduard Photo Etch and Quickboost resin on all these engines.  I am also going to use the Eduard Photo Etch exterior PE meant for the Cyber Hobby kit on the Academy build.  Here is the pre-production shot of everything for the "-3s" together before production really heated up 

DSCN3693

A major well earned crtique of the Academy kit is the prominent sink marks on wings and in the cockpit.  I also filled in the holes for the rockets as the -3 did not  carry these operationally int the time period I am replicating, I used Squadron White putty to fill these issues. 

DSCN3731

DSCN3734

Next up will be creating the bulkhead behind the rear windows, recreating the rear plumbing with paper clips and basic faming inspired by @billn53's recent small aircraft build.   For what its worth, I also have an F6F-5 request for information if anyone has knowledge they would like to share.

Thank you all for looking and all comments are appreciated

Best,

Erwin  

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
grammer
  • Like 12

I look forward to following this double build, Erwin.  You're throwing an impressive amount of aftermarket at the project.

How early are you going on your "early" build?  I've been meaning to get around to doing a blue grey/light grey Hellcat with bronze green cockpit, forward-canted antenna mast, and six-position cocardes.  One doesn't see those very often.

Be advised that Academy are not fully trustworthy when it comes to multiple variants in the same kit; the F6F kit doesn't include the proper windscreen for the -3 version.

Edited by Jackson Duvalier
cannot brain yet, no caffeine
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, G@giemme, and @Jackson Duvalier—I hope I don’t disappoint 😎.

Jackson, a very eagle eyed question—you are correct that a blue grey over light grey would pre-date what I will call an “early” F6F-3–my understanding is a small number of the first machines wore this initial scheme.  I also think they initially had different landing gear covers—more boxy.  I will be building the VF-8/8-F-14 USS Intrepid markings found in the box for a few reasons.

1) I think I will want to minimize mods to my 1st Eduard kit.

2) I would like to see the development of the 4 color scheme in my collection (Jamie’s website has great info on the various blues—frankly I think he provides the clearest explanations to build a foundation on this subject & some of the period painting instructions in the AK book are useful, but I needed Jamie’s instructions to begin wrapping my head around the subject of 3 er I mean 4 color schemes)😎

3) I get a chance to add an aircraft with the red surrounding the US national insignia and

4) I wanted a less weathered aircraft, so this airplane preping for combat fit the bill.

My understanding is this aircraft likely had the intermediate blue on the wing root along with scalloped NS Sea Blue around the cockpit area.  Linked below is a great picture of the real aircraft and a few from the same Squadron while training on the then new USS Intrepid.  Also, the Detail and Scale book has a great picture of some early F6Fs on the ramp with the intermediate blue on the ramp (there is also a great pic of your scheme in the Detail and Scale book )

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hellcat/F6F-5/pages/Grumman-F6F-5-Hellcat-VF-8-White-8F14-aboard-CV-11-USS-Intrepid-01.html

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F6F-3_Hellcats_of_VF-8_in_flight_1943.jpg

Now that I threw all that out there, the learning will start—hopefully I am close to what current research indicates on the colors worn by these early Hellcats.  I find the color research fascinating on this period of USN schemes and always like to compare notes with folks on the forum.

No pictures yet, but I created resin bulk heads for the area behind the rear windows (inspired by G’s phabulous F-4E resin work —I am now looking at those old Monogram F-4Cs and thinking about another F-4 in a late scheme when this is done—G will probably start campaigning now for a future F-4 build to get me out of prop-wash land & back with the phanatics 😉 )

Hope everyone is doing well

Best,

Erwin 

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Grammar
  • Like 3

I’m in! 😃 A double build you say. Well there you are, (must be mad🤪) it looks like you’re going to have a lot of fun However with all that after market so yay for you. I was gifted a 1/48 hellcat so I’ll enjoy following along and getting some tips along the way. 

Here’s to more of the good stuff.

Johnny. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while, but I got some forward movement to report on the Academy F6F-3 which I am building as VF-21's White K 21 aboard CV-10.  Inspired by @elger's & @SaminCam's amazing heavy WW2 bombers and the internal framing they put into them, I decided to stretch my abilities a little and build the bulk heads, framing, armor support and water injection plumbing that will be slightly visible through the rear windows.  Barely visible means my first try results will be mostly hidden, but I would have moved the ball a little further beyond photo etch--always a bit nervous posting given the awesome scratch I regularly see from @giemme, @billn53, @opus999, @The Spadgent, @elger

and @SaminCam but you got to start somewhere. My hope is to use these lessons to eventually put some framing into my Academy B-17, B-29 and Hasegawa B-24s that are in the stash (not in cue).  For my first shot at framing on the late F6F-3, I intend on using flattened .025 wire, paper clips for the plumbing and sanded down resin copy of the Eduard F6F cockpit are bulk head drilled out with the hole for the water injection pipes.  

First up is flattening wire and then aligning them with plans in the Airframe and Miniature book.  I also used Academy's parts to help align the framing without impacting the fit of the cockpit.  I also used flattened wire for framing that potentially be visible in the cockpit.  I then black based my work for further painting.

DSCN3735 DSCN3737

I sanded the resin casting of Eduard's cockpit bulkhead (it is significantly smaller than Academy's) and then drilled in the lightening hole which also allows the piping for the water ejection to move toward the engine.  

DSCN3739

Finally I used Mission Models paints for the base coat as I learn this paint system.  I thinned these about 60 paint/40 thinner--while I like the fact Mission Models paints to dont produce a lot of odors/fumes, I do find they get very finnicky if you are airbrushing them very thin.  I do use their poly and thinner, but I think it is just the nature of their paint. 

DSCN3740

The Eduard PE parts meant for their kit dropped in into the Academy kit fine with Microscale Krystal Klear for lenses.  Here are some pics of how it built up 

DSCN3741

Black based initial cockpit

DSCN3743

Colorcoats base coat and Eduard sills, instrument panel and modified Academy parts ready for weathering/drybrushing.  I did not paint the plumbing on the side.  According to Detail and Scale these were typically NMF until the aircraft was returned to depot maintenance and then frequently moved to training units.  Since I am building an operational aircraft, I left these in the natural PE color expecting to tone it down with weathering.

DSCN3772

Weathered cockpit 

DSCN3776 DSCN3782

Reinforcement struts

DSCN3779

Plumbing in place

DSCN3797 DSCN3797

For me it is better to build the Eduard Photo etch cockpit as an assembly and then put it in the aircraft--no belts as I intend to crew this aircraft

DSCN3806

DSCN3809 DSCN3810 DSCN3812

Resin copy of Airfix's P-51D pilot painted to Tamiya's F4U 1/32 instructions worked great

DSCN3823 DSCN3821

Here are the Tamiya paints for the figure

DSCN3787 DSCN3791 DSCN3794

I assembled the photo etch oil cooler and then assembled the wings--I agree with Airframe and Miniature, the oil cooler area is a weak point of the kit.

DSCN3836

Covered the oil cooler top with foil painted underside color 

DSCN3843

Its beginning to look like a Hellcat with a gunsight

DSCN3894

DSCN3894

DSCN3896

Next up will be detailing the engine and painting the F6F-3 in the tri color scheme which is really 4.  All thoughts welcome and thanks for looking!  Best to all, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Egged on by @giemme from my F4F Franken Engine & @billn53's amazing scratch work I turned to what many consider the weakest point of Academy's kit--the engine.  I agree, Academy's rendition of the PW 2800 is one of the weakest points of this kit.  Given this, I decided to consider using the Eduard cylinders or a resin copy of the Quick Boost engine meant for Eduard kit.  Given not much of the firewall will be seen in 1/72 I decided to use the kit firewall to help me place the engine in the finished assembly.

DSCN3835

In the photo above, you can see the blanking pate, the front of the Eduard engine and the Quick Boost engine wired with copper wire push rods.  I decided to go with the Quick Boost engine instead of Eduard's as the crankcase is better detailed--magnetos, governors and wire/data plate photo etch to follow.  I also think the wire pushrods look better--even in 1/72 scale--than the molded rods.  Although, I will acknowledge the point from @Navy Bird's spectacular BT-1 build that very little will be seen once the cowling is on a 1/72 aircraft.  I also decided that the internal firewall plate would work for 1/72 based off of @opus999's amazing Bearcat build--on 1/72 WW2 fighters it seems that it is important to use unseen areas to better line up major pieces--ie, prop, crank case etc--especially if you are not opening the fuselage. 

DSCN3831 DSCN3832

I drilled out the cowling intakes--Eduard has a hole for the center one in their cowling, but this is the Academy build--I wanted to make the hole on Academy kit happen so the center grill made out of fine mesh could be attached.

DSCN3858 DSCN3860

Cowling grates attached--not quite the interior bits Johnny @The Spadgent did for his beautiful Hind, but I think it will work for 1/72.

DSCN3848

Since I always seem to ask others about US crank case colors, here  are my results.   is a comparison of Eduard reccomended Mission Models Medium grey versus the Tamiya 1/32 F4U recommended color XF-66 Light Grey--ironically, I think the Tamiya "Light Grey" is darker and closer to PW 2800 in @Dana Bell's Corsair book, so I am going to go with Tamiya's color.  I thin Tamiya's XF-66 will be my go to now that Model Master no longer makes their Engine Grey --or any more Model Master paints for that matter

DSCN3856

Magnetos on the Quickboost engine--ready for the governors and wiring.

DSCN3875

Ready for weathering, I will tame some of the stray wires following a Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash and AK's Engine effects. 

DSCN3876 DSCN3876 DSCN3878 DSCN3884

DSCN3886

DSCN3887

I think I am going to feel bad sealing this into the aircraft, so I figured folks would enjoy the wired 1/72 Quick Boost engine.

DSCN3891 DSCN3892 DSCN3897

One item missing in many combat operational -3 kits I have seen is the forward internal frame and armor glass.  I went about making this with flattened led wire and acetate--this was secured with Micro Scale Crystal Clear-- @elger's and @SaminCam's amazing scratch WW2 bombers served as an inspiration.  

DSCN3894

Gunsight

DSCN3902 DSCN3906

Smile 🙂. The grate is hard to see in these photos--I think it is the focus, but it makes a difference when seen in person.

DSCN3899 DSCN3901

Armored canopy fit!  

Apologies if this jumped around a bit--the Academy kit has a lot of parts come together in the main assembly quick--as I believe @Jackson Duvalier pointed out, ease of assembly is a 1/72 Academy F6F strength. Next up will be moving forward into painting this Hellcat up as White K 21--and yes, I planon using Flory wash Johnny 😉   Thank you all for your thoughts and comments--best, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
grammer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@billn53, given the amazing progress on your P-47, I cant wait to see what you do with the engine—it’s also going to turn the prop—correct?  @opus999, I think you do a great job getting the details to pop on your 1/72 prop fighter builds—g @giemme and Johnny @The Spadgent your builds are always informative and inspirational—thanks to all who looked and liked—best, Erwin 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

@billn53, given the amazing progress on your P-47, I cant wait to see what you do with the engine—it’s also going to turn the prop—correct?

Yes, the engine will go through a startup and shutdown sequence, with the prop motion synchronized to the sound effects. That's the plan, anyway . . . .

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

So it has been a while and the Academy Hellcat was completed at a glacial pace--it took significantly less time to build the real thing.  VF-1's White K21 was a relatively new aircraft during the part of its career I wish to depict so weather will be an attempt to make this aircraft not look like a toy.  Just to re-cage folks, here is the link to a photo of this mid-production F6F-3 getting onboard the USS Yorktown CV-10. 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hellcat/VF1/pages/Grumman-F6F-3-Hellcat-VF-1-White-K21-aboard-CV-10-USS-Yorktown-II-1944-01.html

Plan of attack for painting starts with painting the canopy frames interior green based on guidance from Detail and Scale & Airfame and Miniature.  This will be followed by a Mission Models primer coat, pre-shading/light under coat for folded wings, marbling, Mission Models WW2 Insignia White, AK Interactive Intermediate Blue, and Mission Models Sea Blue.  I will modulate the Specular and Non-Specular with flat and gloss coats after decals.  Final finishing will include Flory Washes, AK Interactive engine and landing gear effects along with a mix of airbrushing/pigments for the characteristic exhaust staining. 

DSCN3919

Frames Interior Green

DSCN3920

Primed 

DSCN3925

Wing folded areas exposed to elements on deck lightened with light great base coat

DSCN3926 DSCN3929

Pre-shading

DSCN3930

Initial Yellow Zinc Chromate marbling 

DSCN3932 DSCN3933 DSCN3934

Final pre-shading/marbaling

DSCN3935

DSCN3940 DSCN3945

Final filters-- @giemme & @The Spadgent have changed my philosophy from coats to filters--this is the result of top filters thinned about 60% - 70%.

DSCN3946

DSCN3947 DSCN3948

Top filters complete now on to washes

DSCN3951 DSCN3952 DSCN3953

Flory and Tamiya pin washes coplete

DSCN3954 DSCN3955 DSCN3956

Exhausts stains created with Tamiya Buff thinned at 90%/sprayed at 12 - 15 PSI with my Badger Sotar, Alclad Exhaust, Alclad Hot Sepia (also sprayed on cowling to create subtle contrast with cooler areas of airframe.  Finally used AK Exhaust effects and Tamiya weathering powders.  Its hard to see, but I used a flat coat for the Insignia White and Non Specular Sea Blue areas.  

DSCN4100 DSCN4101 DSCN4102 DSCN4103 DSCN4104 DSCN4107

I attached the landing gear, used fishing line for brake lines and used aftermarket gear doors.  I would say the fuel tank is a big let down in the Academy kit--I will fix this by using the tank from my Eduard F6f-3 which will be an early -3 without the tank.  As I was finishing this, I wondered if the characteristic exhaust was due more the supercharges as I watched @billn53 put his P-47s together.  I also used Krystal Klear for the wing lights.

DSCN4109 DSCN4110 DSCN4111

DSCN4119 DSCN4120

Overall, I am happy with Academy's Hellcat--although to be fair, this aircraft has a new cockpit, engine, gear doors and wheels.  As pointed out in the Aircraft and Miniature book some of the panel lines are not accurate, but the pitot tube is spot on.   As discussed, I will be replacing the tank with Eduard's tank from my early F6F-3.  I would also point out the tail's trailing edges way out of scale thickness.  Although these detail issues are easy to point out, I think it should be noted the ease at which this kit falls together, even with all the aftermarket. I would also like to say a word on Techmod's decals--they preformed exceptionally well and compare favorably with period photos, so I would recommend them.  

I would like to thank all those not already mentioned in closing this Hellcat chapter-- @Jackson Duvalier, @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @opus999 --your inspiration in various builds has sparked me to try new things.  Next up will be Eduard's 1/72 F6F-3 built as VF-8's 8-F-14 on the USS Intrepid.  Best to all and sorry for the delay in catching everyone up.  Best and Happy Holidays!  Erwin

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1