Grumman OV-1A 1/48 RODEN

I present you Roden's model of the OV-1A Mohawk. The plane represents a machine of the 23rd special warfare aviation detachment of the US Army from 1963 in Vietnam. The basic task of this unit was intelligence and reconnaissance. In its first variant (presented here), the Mohawk also had certain offensive (self-defense) capabilities, which in further use of exploitation was a stumbling rock in the bureaucratic circles of the Army and Air Force. How much this machine was valued and hated by members of the National Front for the Liberation of the South (better known as the NLF or VietCog) is also shown by the fact that a special financial stimulus was paid for its shootig down.
I don't have much to say about the model except that it is already well known and the only one in this scale. The fit is very good and the detailing is at a very solid level! As a minor problem, I would mention the unpolished plastic surface as well as the shallow panel lines, which can be a significant problem if the plastic surface is polished. What is absolutely reprehensible are Roden's decals, which already have a bad reputation. Rigid, semi-transparent, poorly reacting to decal setting solutions, prone to cracking... In one word, BAAAD!
I used the Eduad Zoom PE set (FE320), which is designed for the OV-1B, but with the modification of the control panel works just fine. I also used the Eeduard`s PE set for air brakes (from the second set for the OV-1D), which significantly enriches the area of the air brakes. The rest of the cockpit is self-built, which includes the floor of the cabin, the back wall of the cabin, as well as hoses, cables and other small things... The painting was done so that you can feel the level of employment of these machines! The model is Hi-Vis semi gloss painted and has a glossy finish. I played a little bit with the degree of brightness of certain zones/panels on the model, and hence the non-uniformity of the brightness. Little due is from some old monogram model and the base is halved Eduard`s PSP base. Gunza colors with weathering  effects in painter's oils, tamiya washes, dry pygmies, wooden crayons...
In the end, I must say that I am very satisfied with how the model turned out! All criticisms and suggestions (as well as contributions in money, plastic, meat and sweets...) are more than welcome! 
P.S. I would like to apologize for the large number of photos!

IMG-7406.jpg

IMG-7540.jpg

IMG-7178.jpg

IMG-7178.jpg

IMG-7433.jpg

IMG-7184.jpg IMG-7162.jpg IMG-7105.jpg IMG-7176.jpg

And details:

IMG-7541.jpg

IMG-7180.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

IMG-7173.jpg

IMG-7115.jpg

IMG-7553.jpg IMG-7155.jpg IMG-7170.jpg IMG-7576.jpg IMG-7509.jpg IMG-7452.jpg IMG-7552.jpg IMG-7533.jpg IMG-7510.jpg IMG-7503.jpg IMG-7494.jpg IMG-7116.jpg IMG-7525.jpg IMG-7175.jpg IMG-7152.jpg 

Edited by boom.boom
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @kapam and @Pete in a shed!

On 8/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, Pete in a shed said:

One of my favourite aircraft, you've done it proud:clap:. Great detailing in the cockpit, especially the wiring looms.  Although I don't think they would pass an EWIS inspection nowadays 😁.

Pete

...EWIS! Nothing that a bit of electrical and duct tape can't fix!😆

• Haha 1

Wow wow wow! A masterpiece all round but I must say the weathering effect you've achieved on the exhaust section is particularly satisfying to see!

Mark

• Like 1

@MBM @John Laidlaw @VolkerR. @phildagreek @russ c THANK YOU ALL on your beautiful comments!!!

4 hours ago, russ c said:

Brilliant job on the Mohawk B.B. Superb in every way and great job on the cockpit detail

Your Mohawk was inspiration to continue with mine!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Just a very small nitpick on an outstanding job,would a Army pilot be wearing a Airforce cap?👍👌

Yes, I am aware of that blunder of mine, but unfortunately only at a later stage of the work, when I was to lazy to redo it. 

Maybe the detergent was a little stronger, then the local climate, then the angle of the picture and the film in the camera, agent orange when fall on green army cap...who knows😆!?

• Haha 1