KP 1/72 Miles M.2 Hawk Major - built as Hawk Trainer G-ADWT

After completing the recent Sywell Clubhouse build it was time to go back to proper things with wings! I saw this release and was tempted by one of these wee machines at a third of the price of an SBS equivalent...read on!

52302446092_c8560ca2e2_w.jpgA64EFC86-2AC3-43B2-8515-6F9E1D66CA7B by Ben Brown, on Flickr

So, first things first, its been pretty well established online that the model isnt the most accurate - the wings are too thin and the fuselage forward of the cockpits is not 'chunky' enough also there is some suggestion its too short.

52303920460_91136b68dd_w.jpg251D3CAD-B535-4EC7-A0AD-B32390428295 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

The elephant in the room is the cockpit openings. Now for a Hawk Major they are much smaller than say a Maggie or Hawk Trainer - the thinking being that egress with a parachute would have been made easier.52303699649_780bbfb19c_w.jpgB4DC3921-EF13-4CDD-9978-273DC0B85005 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

As such your KP offering isnt an awfully accurate Hawk Major. Its not an awfully accurate Hawk Trainer either but it resembles the latter more with the larger cockpit

52303920525_bd84ce7045_w.jpg1A535A72-4AB4-46D3-912F-B95AA994DFFB by Ben Brown, on Flickr

Then the decals. Well you have three versions. I can't comment on the accuracy of the NZ one K5054NZ might be the man for that but the Shell one MIGHT be in the correct colours but the registration is just in the wrong font not the 'civvy' font we all know. The other option is for a preserved example in a South American Museum and is accurate to their restoration and an attractive scheme but the font on the restored example is wrong as well!

So time for a rethink  - I pumped for airworthy Hawk Trainer G-ADWT which occasionally graces the hallowed turf at OW and is in a lovely (and immaculate) silver and red scheme. I dug out some of my dwindling supply of Aeroclub registration letters which match Humbrol 60 and we were on. OK they are a bit thicker than the restored machine but beggars can't be choosers. 

Usual KP fit ie not great with lots of PPP - but builds up ok - primed with Rustoleum white plastic primer. Then hit with Humbrol acrylic Metalcote polished ally - my 'doped silver' aint of choice thinking I could polish the cowling. For the first time ever it didnt adhere too well to the primer, perhaps I should have used it on bare plastic  - I never normally have any issues - their sprays are superb. Red was brush painted 2 coats of H60 - then one coat of klear for decals - the Aeroclub decals must be 30 years old and are still superb. I use Mr Mark Setter as my go to for all decals which I think is watered down PVA - anyway it eliminates all silvering. Then a second coat of klear to seal. Note I tend to paint in matt and two coats, ONLY of klear gives an accurate semi matt sheen for doped aeroplanes IMHO. A third would make it too shiny and toy like (even if the full size shines like a new pin!)

Masking tape seatbelts were the only addition - the Miles Hawk logos from KP went down fine though I think they should be handed and weren't printed that well.

And that was that! The acetate windscreens cut out fine and i edged them in Moltow Chrome pen.

KP, AZ, Avis produce kits of machines I really want to build. I'm not THAT much of a stickler fo accuracy as long as it builds up ok. I've lobbed together a fair few. all are a bit crude and need filler but thats half the fun - but just 10% more effort and they would be gems from the box.. I do applaud them for their subject choices, their decal chap needs to do a bit more homework and if he had drawn up a standard British civvy font on his PC he would only need to scale and colour it for each new kit.......dont be lazy and use a MS font!

52302446092_c8560ca2e2_w.jpgA64EFC86-2AC3-43B2-8515-6F9E1D66CA7B by Ben Brown, on Flickr

Vickers Valletta with a twist next!

TT

Photo of full size by David MacCready from Flickr

2633339464_b62542acc4_w.jpgMiles M2W Hawk Trainer G-ADWT / Serial No: 215 / Built: 1935 by Dave Macready, on Flickr

• Like 31

Lovely little model. Whatever the faults of the kit, it still looks good. Shame there wasn't a bit more effort put into the kits production but it's still a great result.

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2022 at 16:49, TEXANTOMCAT said:

After completing the recent Sywell Clubhouse build it was time to go back to proper things with wings! I saw this release and was tempted by one of these wee machines at a third of the price of an SBS equivalent...read on!

So, first things first, its been pretty well established online that the model isnt the most accurate - the wings are too thin and the fuselage forward of the cockpits is not 'chunky' enough also there is some suggestion its too short.

52303920460_91136b68dd_w.jpg251D3CAD-B535-4EC7-A0AD-B32390428295 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

The elephant in the room is the cockpit openings. Now for a Hawk Major they are much smaller than say a Maggie or Hawk Trainer - the thinking being that egress with a parachute would have been made easier.52303699649_780bbfb19c_w.jpgB4DC3921-EF13-4CDD-9978-273DC0B85005 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

As such your KP offering isnt an awfully accurate Hawk Major. Its not an awfully accurate Hawk Trainer either but it resembles the latter more with the larger cockpit

52303920525_bd84ce7045_w.jpg1A535A72-4AB4-46D3-912F-B95AA994DFFB by Ben Brown, on Flickr

Then the decals. Well you have three versions. I can't comment on the accuracy of the NZ one K5054NZ might be the man for that but the Shell one MIGHT be in the correct colours but the registration is just in the wrong font not the 'civvy' font we all know. The other option is for a preserved example in a South American Museum and is accurate to their restoration and an attractive scheme but the font on the restored example is wrong as well!

So time for a rethink  - I pumped for airworthy Hawk Trainer G-ADWT which occasionally graces the hallowed turf at OW and is in a lovely (and immaculate) silver and red scheme. I dug out some of my dwindling supply of Aeroclub registration letters which match Humbrol 60 and we were on. OK they are a bit thicker than the restored machine but beggars can't be choosers. 

Usual KP fit ie not great with lots of PPP - but builds up ok - primed with Rustoleum white plastic primer. Then hit with Humbrol acrylic Metalcote polished ally - my 'doped silver' aint of choice thinking I could polish the cowling. For the first time ever it didnt adhere too well to the primer, perhaps I should have used it on bare plastic  - I never normally have any issues - their sprays are superb. Red was brush painted 2 coats of H60 - then one coat of klear for decals - the Aeroclub decals must be 30 years old and are still superb. I use Mr Mark Setter as my go to for all decals which I think is watered down PVA - anyway it eliminates all silvering. Then a second coat of klear to seal. Note I tend to paint in matt and two coats, ONLY of klear gives an accurate semi matt sheen for doped aeroplanes IMHO. A third would make it too shiny and toy like (even if the full size shines like a new pin!)

Masking tape seatbelts were the only addition - the Miles Hawk logos from KP went down fine though I think they should be handed and weren't printed that well.

And that was that! The acetate windscreens cut out fine and i edged them in Moltow Chrome pen.

KP, AZ, Avis produce kits of machines I really want to build. I'm not THAT much of a stickler fo accuracy as long as it builds up ok. I've lobbed together a fair few. all are a bit crude and need filler but thats half the fun - but just 10% more effort and they would be gems from the box.. I do applaud them for their subject choices, their decal chap needs to do a bit more homework and if he had drawn up a standard British civvy font on his PC he would only need to scale and colour it for each new kit.......dont be lazy and use a MS font!

Vickers Valletta with a twist next!

TT

Photo of full size by David MacCready from Flickr

2633339464_b62542acc4_w.jpgMiles M2W Hawk Trainer G-ADWT / Serial No: 215 / Built: 1935 by Dave Macready, on Flickr

Nice clean model.

Alain

• Thanks 1