Bentwaters One Oh Wonder

And finally, here she is...

McDonnell F-101A Voodoo 54-1475 81st TFW Bentwaters Suffolk 1965

Basically I had Microscale decals & this airframe appears in a couple of books 54-1475 shown as taken in March 31st 1966 by Norman taylor as seen in the Osprey book & the Detail & Scale book.

The photos show it parked up after being returned back to Shaw AFB & in the photo's there's a fire extinguisher & ladders placed on the side of the aircraft.

Microscale provide decals for the undercarriage doors for 54-1475 as well, plus I may have used artistic licence with the wing tip tricolors. It's possible these markings were removed before it was transferred to Shaw AFB after being at Bentwaters.

Valom kit - 1/72 - used the "Nuclear Bomber" boxing along with leftover parts from a previous attempt that mostly went in the bin.

Pavla 1/72 ejection seat.

Hasegawa front windsceen as it's more representative of the real thing than the Valom part. A few other adjustments with the help & advice of bentwaters81tfw

Microscale 72-223 decal sheet plus a few stencils from the kit sheet.

Also scratch built a fire extinguisher (used main wheels from a very old charity shop 1/72 Starfighter) & built up the Flightpath etch flight ladder, to echo the photos in the book.

Mustn't forget the paint - in order of application;

Mig One Shot grey.

Ammo MiG Zinc Chromate Green FS34151 for the wheel bays.

Vallejo Metal Color White metal 77.706 all over the airframe.

Masked the white metal for the darker areas & the exhaust shielding.

Vallejo Metal Color Jet Exhaust 77.713 Jet Exhaust with some matt black misted over.

Vallejo Metal Color Duralumin 77.702 various panels around the rear fuselage.

77.701 Aluminium for the forward fuselage.

77.703 Dark Aluminium misted on for the wing centre sections.

Wing tips mixed up the blue to match the decal colour & used Ammo Mig for the yellow & red.

Glossed over with Klear.

Here's the build thread in the Century Fighters group build...

Credit to Norman taylor

52302026618_2d99eed6a0_h.jpg

52302143704_ffc249dd40_h.jpg

52301883263_2a70072e49_h.jpg

52301870871_1533571ec4_h.jpg

52301870761_8cfeca7a96_h.jpg

52305939629_cf719b9c95_h.jpg

52302367680_56908dfb4b_h.jpg

52301882978_0f1fd47582_h.jpg

52301882943_e9fb984d2f_h.jpg

52302367595_569220b34c_h.jpg

52301870536_f824b0b294_h.jpg

52305888423_99909caafb_h.jpg

52305427341_9e6deba7a9_h.jpg

52305427326_be19bdfcef_h.jpg

52305939579_c653ce9ab3_h.jpg

52305939549_4f8c937845_h.jpg

Thanks for looking

Martin

• Like 66
  • Thanks 2

Excellent job. Proper Voodoo. Nice job with the anti corrosion finish on the spine.

By the time the a/c was returned to Shaw, the wingtip and door colours were long gone. This a/c was the Wing commanders machine prior to the  arrival of Robin Olds, who appropriated 56-0001 as his machine. Robin was in charge 63-65. 41475 was ordered as an A model but was one of the final batch of 8 airframes and delivered as an interim C.

• Like 1

Excellent build, the single seat Voodoo has some undeniable charm, especially in this colorful early-USAF jet age livery.

One ounce of criticism, if I may, I think the grey walkways could use a coat of flat or satin varnish.

You may want to share a link to your WIP in the group build. Loads of great technique on display. I was impressed by your windshield fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Martin. I'm going to as a silly question here, but why is there a Star on the upper starboard wing instead of USAF lettering?

Ooops! That's definitely not a silly question. Up it comes! 🤪

Thanks Frank for spotting that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Excellent build, the single seat Voodoo has some undeniable charm, especially in this colorful early-USAF jet age livery.

One ounce of criticism, if I may, I think the grey walkways could use a coat of flat or satin varnish.

You may want to share a link to your WIP in the group build. Loads of great technique on display. I was impressed by your windshield fix.

Thank you. It was the intention to mask & spray some matt for the green anti glare panel & those grey walkways, but with decals sitting on a metal surface I'm very wary of them lifting. I've already had a bit of a nightmare when I masked for the red engine intake lips, almost took the grey decal away! I'll apply it by brush I reckon.

If there's a way of getting decals to properly stick to metal surfaces then I'd love to know a way.

59 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Martin. I have a soft spot for the Valom kit despite its flaws. You've worked One-o-Wonders ;)

Martin

Many thanks Martin. I'm actually tempted to do one of the RF's now! My donor Hasegawa kit is looking at me! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarmaT said:

Nice job! Successful panel effect. Scratch built additions make the model vivid.

2 hours ago, Fred piket said:

Beautiful Voodoo! I love the variation in metal colours.. Great job

Thanks chaps!

Just now, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thank you. It was the intention to mask & spray some matt for the green anti glare panel & those grey walkways, but with decals sitting on a metal surface I'm very wary of them lifting. I've already had a bit of a nightmare when I masked for the red engine intake lips, almost took the grey decal away! I'll apply it by brush I reckon.

If there's a way of getting decals to properly stick to metal surfaces then I'd love to know a way.

I feel your pain, I've had the same thing happen to me on my NMF sabre a few days ago. Maybe several layers or gloss varnish on top of the decals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I use W & N Galaria matt varnish with a brush for small areas like that.

• Like 1

That's an absolute beauty! One of my all time favourite aircraft....in one of its best looking schemes 👍 Nice to see someone else who's using Vallejo metal color....i love the stuff! You've done a fine fine job on this One O Wonder. Five stars

Just now, binbrook87 said:

That's an absolute beauty! One of my all time favourite aircraft....in one of its best looking schemes 👍 Nice to see someone else who's using Vallejo metal color....i love the stuff! You've done a fine fine job on this One O Wonder. Five stars

Many thanks mate!  👍

Had been wanting to build one of these Bentwaters Voodoos for a long time now.  I fancy doing another,  but maybe one of the recon versions.  I think one of the main downsides to this kit is the flimsy main undercarriage legs.  Not looking forward to taking it to shows.  Definitely needs metal legs. 

Martin 

• Like 1