AW 101 Merlin HM.1 814 Sqn

This is one I built earlier this year, but it became somewhat side-lined whilst I built my Ukrainian MiG-29 and Mi-17.  

wpb05770bc_05_06.jpg

Having converted my previous Italeri Merlin HAS.1 into an HM.2 with Crowsnest ASACS/AEW fit, it seemed a good idea to build a replacement. This is the Revell issue, with all of the crucial parts that were missing from the initial Italeri kit (weapons, mirrors, and various lumps and bumps).  As the other kit has the port crew door open, I wanted this one to have the main starboard door open, which required some scratch building of the rather bare rear cockpit.  I added a lot inside, and although not entirely right, you have to peer in the door to see it, and IMHO its a good effort.

wpabd948ad_05_06.jpg

Cabin interior (not quite finished when I took this):

wp51bdbcf2_05_06.jpg

Cabin side lining/insulation from embossed silver foil:

wp7d417b5a_05_06.jpg

The kit comes with the grey tiger stripe decals for 814 Sqn's display aircraft, but disappointingly the stripes are not dark enough.  Photos show them in various states of low or high contrast over the life of the aircraft, but I may yet decide to overpaint them in a darker grey. I took a slightly different timescale too, adding the 814 Tiger motif to the nose (from a Model Art sheet) for approximately the period when the aircraft deployed ashore from HMS ILLUSTRIOUS to Yeovilton to provide security for the 2012 Olympics.  

wp30cdcb65_05_06.jpg

I now have 2 blade sets, one folded, one spread:

wp53d8a642_05_06.jpg

Obviously, the training variant torpedoes were not relevant for this task, but I was determined to add weapons. Although you can't see it in the pictures, the Sting Rays have had their under fuselage cables attached.  This is the 4th one of these Italeri/Revell kits I have built and I think I now understand its many idiosyncracies enough to try a fully up to date HM.2 in due course, preferably with HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH on its nose !

wp96885ad1_05_06.jpg

wp9416d1a3_05_06.jpg

With the Crowsnest HM.2:

wp5f4d8a7c_05_06.jpg

And with the rest of the gang:

wp20b5abc5_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

• Like 60

None of your photos show up in Chrome.  Trying to open the links to the photos get:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
www.gengriz.co.uk sent an invalid response.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Edited by Steve McArthur

3 minutes ago, Steve McArthur said:

None of your photos show up in Chrome.  Trying to open the links to the photos get:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
www.gengriz.co.uk sent an invalid response.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Hmmm - you are the 3rd US based person to have this problem.  The SSL is definitely valid, which may mean its your ISP or AV that is showing a false error - anyone else having problems? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 5:53 AM, gengriz said:

Hmmm - you are the 3rd US based person to have this problem.  The SSL is definitely valid, which may mean its your ISP or AV that is showing a false error - anyone else having problems? 

I am the same, block by Malwarebytes as well here in Oz

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I am the same, block by Malwarebytes as well here in Oz

I get this from Malwarebytes

Website blocked due to Compromised

Compromised

Compromised sites (or servers) are otherwise legitimate sites that are being used by hackers without the owner's knowledge. Compromised sites are often used to house and spread malware.

4 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I get this from Malwarebytes

Website blocked due to Compromised

Compromised

Compromised sites (or servers) are otherwise legitimate sites that are being used by hackers without the owner's knowledge. Compromised sites are often used to house and spread malware.

OK thanks - I will do some checking, but I'm reasonably certain that there is nothing on my site to be concerned about.

• Like 1

I have checked the website thoroughly and there is no sign of malware.  I've also notified my ISP in case there is a server issue and have complained to Malwarebytes (MWB) demanding they unblock my website, plus raised a support ticket with my own ISP.

However, from browsing MWB's own support forums, it would appear that this could be a well known "feature" of Malwarebytes AV, whose database of clean websites is not always updated regularly, so tends to over-egg the false reports.  I couldn't live with that personally, although they seem to think its a good thing, being on the safe side.  I guess it may also help them retain customers as it appears their AV is working hard to protect you even when it is not. 

You can over-ride it (their advice) by adding the blocked IP address to an exception list (but why should you have to do something like this).  They (MWB) also suggest that it could be a malicious DNS server on your own machine trying to re-direct away from my website picture to a malware site.  To rule this out I would do a reboot, then thorough deep scan of your computer, with your browser(s) closed, possibly using something other than MWB (Avast, AVG and Microsoft's own Defender seem to be the preferred options, although I tend to use F-Secure's online scanner).

HTH - I will continue to pursue the issue :)

FredT

1 hour ago, NavyWessex said:

Absolutely gorgeous build of a HM.2, it looks great.

I would very much be interested in some close up images of your Crownest mounting structure, I intend to build the variant very shortly and am interested to know how you achieved it... 

There are a lot of excellent MOD pictures online of the aircraft being fitted out. I did everything by eye, so dimensions may be out, but I think I got it.  It was an older build that I was unhappy with, so ripe for an update.  I also added the extra HM.2 external bumps on the nose and the jammer racks on the mid fuselage:

wp51b707cc_05_06.jpgwp43b3cf31_05_06.jpgwp2ef27a5e_05_06.jpgwp0e138d3a_05_06.jpg

Mine moves, which in truth was probably a step too far (especially as I have the cabin door open).  As a result, much of my building was centred around trying to create a hinge.

wp17bd6130_05_06.jpg

wp1e2cc0a5_05_06.jpg

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 2

What a collection! Wow! I have just managed to get my hands on the Revell HMA.1 and have the Cormorant too so hopefully can go them half as good as you have. 

Just as a side note, the tint of the Canopies appears blue on your models? My work manufacture all of the 101 transparencies and in reality they are a bronzed Acrylic which should be more of a Smokey tint. Not a criticism, just wanted to let you know! :)

Ash

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

Just as a side note, the tint of the Canopies appears blue on your models? My work manufacture all of the 101 transparencies and in reality they are a bronzed Acrylic which should be more of a Smokey tint. Not a criticism, just wanted to let you know! :)

Hi Ash, thanks, I know and it is a source of frustration !  I have tried other colours and black mixes, but they don't really work.  So for now, they are all blue.  Apart from my Sea Kings, which are green! :)