P-51 Kits?

Bozothenutter

4 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Do all the AM Allison Mustang kits come with the 20mm gun wing and non armed cowling?

No P-51 (non A) can be made oob?

The answer is no. What do you wish to make? If you wish to do a Mk .I, then you need the Mk.Ia kit and the Ultracast Mk.I conversion set. There are no Mk.I USAAF equivalents to the Mk.I. To make a Mustang Ia, F-6A or a P-51 use the Mustang Ia kit. For the A-36, Use the A-36 kit. For the P-51A, Mustang II and F-6B use the P-51A kit. There was an F-6B kit also.

The carb intakes and radiator intake are different between marks so you need to be aware of these differences.

Let me know what you wish to build, and I point you in the right direction.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

The original Accurate Miniatures Allison Mustang releases had three different basic moldings:

1. P-51 (no suffix), with 4 x 20 mm cannon. Later re-released as an RAF Mustang Mk IA, and as an F-6A (I think...I defer to Mr. Archer!).

2. P-51A, with 4 x 50 cal wing guns. Later re-released as an F-6B.

3. A-36 Apache dive bomber.

Only the A-36 has nose guns, but also the later enlarged carb intake, and of course its dive-bomber wing is not shared with any other variant.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!

The P-51 boxing on Scalemates had me wondering, as the boxart shows the 20mm guns (making it an P-51A)

The transkit looks nice, but the mods are such, I'd do them myself.

At the moment I'm working on a bog standard D and the XP-51B in its final prototype stage.

I was ruminating on versions and came up with this (incomplete) list.

NA-73 Accurate Miniatures (with Falcon canopy)

Mustang I/P-51Accurate Miniatures ( with modded wing and cowling)

Mustang IA/P-51A Accurate Miniatures (OOB)

A-36 Accurate Miniatures

Mustang X Accurate Miniatures (with a new nose dep on serial)

XP-51B Accurate Miniatures (P-51A with P-51B)

P-51B/C Mustang III Accurate Miniatures / ICM / Tamiya (Falcon canopy for Malcolm hood)

XP-51D (P-51B wing with P-51D fuselage)

P-51D Mustang IV Eduard
P-51H Modelsvit 

Left out all the F versions and the XP streamliners

First of all, you need to get your early Allison engine Mustang nomenclature and type naming correct.

NA-73 and NA-83 = North American Mustang Mk.I - has no 'P-51' designation as purchase was direct contract by UK Government with NAA.  First production version with armament comprising 2 x 0.50in Browning HMGs mounted in the nose synchronised to fire through the propeller arc and 1 x 0.50in Browning HMG and 2 x 0.300in Browning MGs in each wing, with narrow air intake above engine cowling and variable intake ramp on the underslung radiator.  To do this variant, you start with the AM P-51 or Mustang Mk.IA kit, and add the Ultracast Mustang Mk.I conversion set.

NA-91 = North American P-51 Mustang (no suffix = first with P-51 designation as supply was under Lend Lease and order made by USAAF with NAA), Mustang Mk.IA in RAF service - essentially a Mustang Mk.I but with the armament changed to the 4 x 20mm cannon armament, two mounted in each wing  (some variables between USAAF and RAF cannon armament set up that are externally visible).   Still had the narrow air intake above engine cowling and variable intake ramp on the underslung radiator.  To do this variant, use either the AM P-51 or Mustang Mk.IA kit. (Probably best to add the Ultracast narrow profile prop blades as well as the kit incorrectly has wrong profile.)

NA-97 = North American A-36A Mustang, one provided for trials by RAF in UK where it carried the designation Mustang Mk.I (Dive Bomber).  Armament comprising  2 x 0.50in Browning HMGs mounted in the nose synchronised to fire through the propeller arc and 2 x 0.50in Browning HMGs in each wing, with dive brakes, underwing hard points, broader air intake above engine cowling and fixed intake ramp on the underslung radiator.  To do this variant, you use the AM A-36 kit.

NA-99 = North American P-51A Mustang, Mustang Mk.II in RAF service.  Armament comprising 2 x 0.50in Browning HMGs in each wing, with underwing hardpoints. Had a revised broader air intake above engine cowling with filter intake on top of the intake and revised profile fixed intake ramp on the underslung radiator, and usually had the clear vision panel in the front left segment of the forward canopy .  To do this variant, you use the AM P-51A kit.

Unfortunately the Scalemates listing has some less than accurate titles and descriptions for the different Allison engine Mustang kits and model builds.

To do the XP-51 - NAA prototypes with the RR-Merlin engine - there were two versions.  One was based off a P-51/Mustang Mk.IA, and the other also based off a P-51/Mustang Mk.IA but with more changes that made it look closer to a P-51B/C - including the 3 inch change in depth for the fuselage.

XP-51D - can of worms country as there were a number of different prototype airframes in the development of the P-51D where the configuration changed during development or where different parts of the eventual P-51D final configuration were trialled and finalised.

If you use the search function here on Britmodeller you will find a number of threads in the WW2 aircraft forum regarding the details of the Allison engine Mustangs, with a particular focus on those in RAF Service.  One of the good and long running threads is:

Edited by ColFord
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3