CP Air DC-8

zebra

Now that the Sabre is ready for painting, and I'm struggling to work up the enthusiasm for the Buffalo (I'll get to it), it's time to start another build. This is the Minicraft DC-8 which I'll be building as a CP Air DC-8-53 using Two Six decals and Bra.Z resin engines.

Minicraft DC-8

First job is to shorten the fuselage. The kit represents a DC-8-71 with a stretched fuselage, but there are engraved lines on the inside to help with shortening to both the original fuselage length and the slightly longer -62/72.  So the job of cutting the fuselage up is fairly straightforward - here's what I've ended up with:

DC-8 WIP

I've not started reassembling the fuselage halves, that's the next job. 

More soon

Julian

• Like 10

Thanks Rog. This has always been one of my favourite liveries and I've been wanting to build something in this scheme for years, so it's about time. The downside of doing it on a short-fuselage DC-8 is the natural metal lower fuselage means I'll have to take a lot of care to get good smooth joins when I reassemble the fuselage halves.

I remember seeing CP Air aircraft (mostly 747s and DC-10s I think) at Manchester. In fact there's a photo somewhere of me, aged 8, in the cockpit of one of them - my Dad had a client who worked at the airport and took us on a tour, including inside a few aircraft. I think one of the others was a Transamerica DC-10. Dad's client later made the news - he was the pilot of a HS748 that suffered a catastrophic engine failure on take-off from Stansted, carrying the Leeds United team back from a match, and got it safely back onto the runway. 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 12:52 PM, zebra said:

he was the pilot of a HS748 that suffered a catastrophic engine failure on take-off from Stansted, carrying the Leeds United team back from a match, and got it safely back onto the runway. 

Ah, John Hackett!! :) I was at Dan-Air, like John, and it was pretty much HS748 Central! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have forgotten to post updates again. Fuselage is together and seams dealt with, I've done an ok job of preserving the panel lines, and assembled the wings. One problem with the kit is the pronounced droop in the wings - they're not warped, it seems to be moulded in, as it's always there - which I can't live with, there are inaccuracies etc that I can look past but this is one that I can't ignore. So I straightened them out with the help of a hairdryer and they look ok now - probably not spot on, but much better.

DC-8 WIP

It's in the garage for a coat of black primer now, along with the resin engine parts, so I'll be painting this one soon.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Grandboof said:

That CP Scheme was great . Looking forward to this 
Martin H

Thanks Martin. I have high hopes for this scheme - plenty can go wrong with it though!

The fuselage has had a coat of AK Extreme Metal aluminium and I'm leaving it for a couple of days before I mask it off for the orange. I'm in two minds about that part - do I rely on the decal for the red stripe to be opaque enough that I don't need to worry about how precisely I mask the demarcation? I think I will, it'll make life a bit easier - I think I've found 26 decals to be pretty opaque in the past - and if it doesn't work plan B will be to mask and paint the red stripe.

The other bit that needs some planning is how to deal with the engines - I don't really want to mask and paint them attached to the wings but I suspect they won't be a good enough fit to be able to paint everything separately either. In particular there's a part of the pylon that goes on top of the leading edge of the wing and I expect it'll need some filling. So my plan is to assemble and paint the engines separately, paint the undersides of the wings, then attach the engines and do any filling necessary, paint the top sides of the wings and do any touching up of the engines that may be needed.

more soon

Julian

• Like 2

You've done a great job on shortening that fuselage Julian.   I've heard no shouts of dismay from you, so I'm assuming that it's looking equally as nice under its new metallic coat :winkgrin:

On 9/10/2022 at 12:59 AM, zebra said:

The fuselage has had a coat of AK Extreme Metal aluminium and I'm leaving it for a couple of days before I mask it off for the orange. I'm in two minds about that part - do I rely on the decal for the red stripe to be opaque enough that I don't need to worry about how precisely I mask the demarcation? I think I will, it'll make life a bit easier - I think I've found 26 decals to be pretty opaque in the past - and if it doesn't work plan B will be to mask and paint the red stripe.

Hi Julian.

I can confirm that all of the white parts on the decal sheet including under the red stripes and tail logo are all double printed so they should be very opaque :)

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1

Fantastic looking DC-8 Ray. Meanwhile I keep finding imperfections in the fuselage - funny how a metallic coat will do that! - so there's been a fair bit of fill, sand, prime, repeat. But hopefully I'm past that now and can get on with painting. 

more soon

Julian

Orange done, and I finished painting the engines so attached them to the wings. 

DC-8 WIP

The orange initially gave me a bit of trouble. I was using MRP international orange but the coverage was so poor it was clear that the jar was going to run out long before I got a satisfactory finish. So I cut my losses, headed to the LHS and bought some SMS paint instead. Much, much better - SMS has become my go-to.

more soon

Julian

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

On 10/16/2022 at 10:18 PM, 81-er said:

Time for aeroplane noises?

Definitely. Loud, old-school noises from before the days of noise restrictions and high bypass turbofans!

• Like 2