AB.40 reference photos

Nenad Ilijic

Hello everyone,

I need some reference photos of Autoblindo 40 in North Africa. For this kit in particular: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-6482-autoblinda-ab-40--101856

If you have any reference photos that you are willing to share, or if you can direct me to some reference material, that would be fantastic. 

Also, does anybody know what was the camouflage and which paints were used for these vehicles for North African theater?

Thanks!

Nenad

Probably already have this link, but just in case, will include it plus a French site:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/italy/autoblinda-ab40

http://www.italie1935-45.com/regio-esercito/materiels/item/211-ab-40-et-41

According to Osprey's publication Italian Armoured & Reconnaissance Cars 1911–45 the first prototype AB cars were overall sand, and included green or both brown and green streaks.  Production models scheduled for North Africa were sent without the coloured streaks.   A large white aerial recognition disc was painted atop the turrets.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Several photos of the referenced comandosupremo image can be found in the provided linked French site.   This vehicle was still a prototype, hence the streaked camouflage.  "It was  called AB6, was sent to the PAI training centre in Tivoli near Rome.  In the summer of 1940, it was re-registered as “Polizia Africa Italiana 0501” and then sent to East Africa for further testing, the least of which included driving the car for 13000 km.

Referencing the French site, there is only one vehicle from the initial factory production that appears to be more than just overall sand.   It was registered as 117B and sports very light mottling - quite the contrast to the earlier streaked prototypes.

I would link some photos, but either the originating site or Britmodeller is not cooperating.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys.

@JackG that Franch article is great! Haven't seen it before.

Reading through all these, it looks to me that chances are slim that marking options provided in this kit are correct and that this configuration (AB with twin MGs and 'Libya' tires) was used by RE. Maybe there were some used by Nizza Cavalleria, but it's hard to tell. I guess, I'll have to believe Italeri :)

Regarding paint, it should be Giallo Sabbia Scuro, right?

Thanks,

Nenad

For a combat unit in Africa, there does appear to a viable option with the the police battalion.   This unit was sent to Libya in September 1941, with a company of ten armoured cars, which included one AB 40, and became part of RECAM.  Incidentally, the Nizza regiment  also was absorbed into this special formed reconnaissance unit.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/autoblinda-ab41-in-polizia-dellafrica-italiana-service/

For paint, my references are sort of outdated from being based on Italian researcher Pignato as found in the Squadron publications.   Going by what Hataka has packaged for their Italian armour paints, they have Giallo Sabbia Scuro as a prewar colour that returned in 1943 as part of the amoeba scheme.   Saharian Khaki is more probable since this paint was made official on March 17 1941.  I've seen it mentioned that It was likely available before then, and so would fit the production timeline of the AB40.

s-l1600.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

I don't have anything on the car itself.  But noting that we are now discussing the enigmatic issue of Italian WW2 colours, that subject has come up recently here in this thread, which I started.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235111205-italian-afv-colours-ww2/

Since then I have a further photo of an area of surviving paint layers on an M14/41.  Here we have Grigio Verde Scuro, Rosso Ruggine and what I believe to be Kaki Saharian.  The yellowy-green colour in much of the right side of the photo is a post-war repaint, but is probably not unlike Grigio Verde Chiaro.  I believe the layering indicates a base of Kaki Saharian with Rosso Ruggine patterning, later overpainted with Grigio Verde Scuro.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks, that Hataka's version of Kaki Sahariano is actually quite a match to this sample.

@JackG yes, I think you are right, it was probably Kaki Sahariano. Serial production started in January 1941, but first 5 samples were finished in March 1941, same time when Kaki Sahariano was introduced. And these first 5 vehicles look pale on the photos.

Regarding the actual vehicle to build, the one AB 40 that was in police battalion is not an option. At least not an easy option. It was prototype version, so I would need to find aftermarket wheels, new decal set, and some additional modifications. Not sure if these are even possible to find. So the options is Nizza regiment and to hope that they had some AB40's, because I've seen only AB41s on the photos.

Unfortunately, it does seem a dead end with that lone police unit AB40 ever receiving the spoke wheels.  It was updated before being sent back to the PAI to form their ten car company, but the list of changes does not mention the wheels.   You would think after all that test driving on desert surface it would need new tires, why not install the newer rims at the same time?  

As for the AB40 appearing with the Nizza unit, logic says this is not likely.   The PAI received nine of the cannon armed cars, and this unit was not combat trained.   So to me, it makes even less sense for cavalry unit to receive mg armed car(s) after tests already revealed they required more fire power.

Another option is to pick up Royal Model's resin AB41 turret.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I found a fantastic document here:  https://www.modellismopiu.net/m+contenuti/fabio/Autoblinde_mod._40_41_e_43.pdf

And I think that I figured it out. It looks like that only following vehicles were completed with double Breda Mod. 38 8mm machine guns.

1. AB 6 prototype, later used by PAI with registration number 0501

2. Second prototype (one with Notek Light), with registration number RE 116B, not sure where it ended up

3. The batch of 5 initial AB40 vehicles with registration numbers RE 117B - RE 121B that were delivered to Pinerolo Training School

4. The batch of 20 armored cars delivered as “Ferroviaria”  version, registration numbers: 304B, 315B, 317B, 320B, 328B, 336B, 339B, 360B, 368B, 369B, 370B, 381B, 382B, 373B, 375B, 379B, 385B, 394B, 403B and 413B

So the only feasible options would be to build one of the vehicles that went to the training school, with different set of wheels, or version with 20mm cannon and different turret. Both of these are available from Royal Model. So now that I figured out which vehicles existed with double MG setup, I'll have to build that one :)

Will go with the one of Pinerolo Training School vehicles. Once new set of wheels arrive.

This is the initial batch:

Initial 5

One of them (117B):

2DEMAgi

Cheers and thanks for all the help!

Nenad

• Like 1