Sword, Curtiss S03C-1 Seamew. 1/72. 'War Junk'!

So for those of you who have followed this build, you'll be aware of all the issues I had with it. It was a model that I'd bought nearly 3 years ago as I liked the unusualness of the aircraft and I wanted some seaplanes! Only thing was it was quite a poor kit, it was VERY very basic but did come supplied with a load of resin parts for the cockpit areas, I glued them in and then realised there was nothing else inside the fuselage, no details at all and assuming I had fitted everything in the absolutely correct place, everything else would fall into place; it didnt. I had to add some pieces of plastic from the sprues to the inside for things to sit on so I could glue the interior onto. I didnt fit the interior and toyed with a multitude of ideas for this such as painting the inside of the clear parts with silver so nothing could be seen, or just not fitting anything inside and paint it all matt black in there... I put the model away in its box at the time thinking that 'one day' I would complete the model, somehow.

The version I have decided to make is the US Navy version as flown from USS Denver January 1943, I have also added the name to this version that was supposed to go on the other version. For what was involved trying to paint the three colours on such a short fat little seaplane I felt it was easier just to paint the upper surfaces with Colourcoats Blue/grey and the undersides with light gull grey and this meant that the areas I'd already painted white had to be repainted in the gull grey, meaning there are 7 coats of paint on the underside! Not to worry; this model very nearly didnt get built at all so I am pleased to be able to display it in my Navy cabinet.

I thank all involved who have encouraged me to carry on with this when light in the tunnel seemed to be a little dim at times, and for being able to explain certain things about the aircraft e.g. the offset fin and rudder, set that way to overcome engine torque, Its great to have so many informed and helpful people in this forum, Thanks to all.

So, here it is; finished painting yesterday, beaching gear fitted last night, Decals on this morning and varnished this afternoon. At last its ready to see.

IMG-1126.jpg The nice curve from the top of the engine cowling right to the tip of the propeller spinner was not apparent on this model but the picture on the box shows it; I decided to try and achieve that very look myself; I reckon it worked!

IMG-1128.jpg

IMG-1130.jpg

IMG-1131.jpg

IMG-1132.jpg

IMG-1134.jpg

IMG-1135.jpg

IMG-1136.jpg

IMG-1137.jpg

IMG-1138.jpg

IMG-1139.jpg It looks as if its not sitting level; its the angle I had my phone at when taking this picture. You can just see the inverted Ranger 12 cylinder engine!

IMG-1140.jpg You can see the offset of the tail in this picture; it was a way of handling the engine torque.

IMG-1141.jpg

IMG-1142.jpg

IMG-1143.jpg

IMG-1144.jpgIn the centre of the centre floaty bit you can see the little lug I added; it would have this for launching from a ship launcher; a BIG rubber band was hooked around it and the whole crew stretched it right back along the deck, and then just let go; launching the aeroplane!😂🤣

I'm pleased I have managed to complete this model, like it or loathe it, its a seaplane and for me its all that mattered. It will rightfully take its place in the cabinet next to my other seaplanes, and there are three more to be added; these I am going to build either now or in turn as a series of four!

• Like 31

thank you for your kind comments; I had never heard of an aircraft called a Seamew but when I got back into modelling I just happened to see the model kit online, being interested in seaplanes I thought it would be an interesting addition to my collection.😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

The final build was worth the effort, very well done !

Wulfman

Thank you very much!:wow:

I've found that when building a model I rather enjoy all the stages, long haul or easier kit and when its completely finished I feel a slight sadness among my feelings of achievement and success, I think its fairly natural if you're passionate enough as a modeller. I used to not build for a few days after one was finished but as I have two others on my table just now, I decided to do some more on those instead.

I'm actually rather pleased with the Seamew, it wasnt easy to start with but now I've seen it through I'm rather pleased I took all its parts and turned them into a rather interesting model; its now in my cabinet next to a Grumman Duck and Curtiss Seahawk!

Thanks for your kind comment!:thanks:

2 minutes ago, Russmeister 101 said:

Great finish on a very unusual subject!

Bravo that man! :D 👏🏆

Thank you very much!:penguin: I rather enjoy building aircraft models and the more unusual ones can be lots of fun, although researching them might be a problem if nobody else has heard of it. The seamew has plenty (or at least quite enough) of info posted online. Thanks for your comment.😀

• Like 1

On 21/08/2022 at 13:43, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat model, and the curve of the nose looks good!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you! One feature I wanted on my model was that curve because its not a feature on the actual kit, I had to rub away at it to get it right on the kit, I saw the curve on the box and thought it would be very nice to add to an aircraft that has a few rather boxy features. It reminds me of the nose on a Spitfire!:cool: Thanks for your kind comment!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Junk kit or not I think she looks great. I love the plane btw and need to get one for my collection. 

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on this unusual aircraft Mark, it does look superb and your work on the nose  and the interior certainly were worth it.

Great stuff fella

Chris

Thank you chaps, the war junk decal is actually for the other version but remembering the aircraft story I felt it so appropriate to add it on here!

Very pleased with it myself, despite its resistance I have been able to turn it into a very presentable model. Once I got the interior knobbled it flowed rather easily from there, quite pleased with myself for building it, pleased also that it’s in the cabinet rather than just in its box 📦
Thanks chaps 👍😁

• Like 2

Also very grateful to, and proud of the members in Britmodeller for the support you have all given me in this and all my builds so far! Questions answered even if I didnt directly ask - things readily explained, all encouragement and compliments during the WIP's and the brilliant reviews and kind comments I've had for my builds in RFI, this one included!:wow:

Thank you Everyone.:thanks:

On 20/08/2022 at 20:09, Markh-75 said:

So for those of you who have followed this build, you'll be aware of all the issues I had with it. It was a model that I'd bought nearly 3 years ago as I liked the unusualness of the aircraft and I wanted some seaplanes! Only thing was it was quite a poor kit, it was VERY very basic but did come supplied with a load of resin parts for the cockpit areas, I glued them in and then realised there was nothing else inside the fuselage, no details at all and assuming I had fitted everything in the absolutely correct place, everything else would fall into place; it didnt. I had to add some pieces of plastic from the sprues to the inside for things to sit on so I could glue the interior onto. I didnt fit the interior and toyed with a multitude of ideas for this such as painting the inside of the clear parts with silver so nothing could be seen, or just not fitting anything inside and paint it all matt black in there... I put the model away in its box at the time thinking that 'one day' I would complete the model, somehow.

The version I have decided to make is the US Navy version as flown from USS Denver January 1943, I have also added the name to this version that was supposed to go on the other version. For what was involved trying to paint the three colours on such a short fat little seaplane I felt it was easier just to paint the upper surfaces with Colourcoats Blue/grey and the undersides with light gull grey and this meant that the areas I'd already painted white had to be repainted in the gull grey, meaning there are 7 coats of paint on the underside! Not to worry; this model very nearly didnt get built at all so I am pleased to be able to display it in my Navy cabinet.

I thank all involved who have encouraged me to carry on with this when light in the tunnel seemed to be a little dim at times, and for being able to explain certain things about the aircraft e.g. the offset fin and rudder, set that way to overcome engine torque, Its great to have so many informed and helpful people in this forum, Thanks to all.

So, here it is; finished painting yesterday, beaching gear fitted last night, Decals on this morning and varnished this afternoon. At last its ready to see.

IMG-1126.jpg The nice curve from the top of the engine cowling right to the tip of the propeller spinner was not apparent on this model but the picture on the box shows it; I decided to try and achieve that very look myself; I reckon it worked!

IMG-1128.jpg

IMG-1130.jpg

IMG-1131.jpg

IMG-1132.jpg

IMG-1134.jpg

IMG-1135.jpg

IMG-1136.jpg

IMG-1137.jpg

IMG-1138.jpg

IMG-1139.jpg It looks as if its not sitting level; its the angle I had my phone at when taking this picture. You can just see the inverted Ranger 12 cylinder engine!

IMG-1140.jpg You can see the offset of the tail in this picture; it was a way of handling the engine torque.

IMG-1141.jpg

IMG-1142.jpg

IMG-1143.jpg

IMG-1144.jpgIn the centre of the centre floaty bit you can see the little lug I added; it would have this for launching from a ship launcher; a BIG rubber band was hooked around it and the whole crew stretched it right back along the deck, and then just let go; launching the aeroplane!😂🤣

I'm pleased I have managed to complete this model, like it or loathe it, its a seaplane and for me its all that mattered. It will rightfully take its place in the cabinet next to my other seaplanes, and there are three more to be added; these I am going to build either now or in turn as a series of four!

Well done

Alain

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done

Alain

2 minutes ago, SarmaT said:

Congratulations! Nice model! Very unusual aircraft - never seen it before.

Thank you Alain, it’s looking better than I thought it would tbh😁

yes its it’s a little unusual, little known, but that is what appealed to me when I saw it online; it’s known for the wrong reasons really, reviled even. I liked it’s unusual shape and because it’s a seaplane 😀