Model haul at the boot sale today - anyone know about them?

Neil.C

A chap was selling a box of old weird models all as new. There were a couple of Vac-forms ( beyond my capabilities) and some German make WWII Luftwaffe aircraft so I bought one of each of the types he had at a very reasonable price 😉 also what seems to be a British make - Pegasus.

I've never heard of the makers before - anyone know about them?

spacer.png

• Like 3

Huma made out of the ordinary and unusual Luftwaffe models - they're pretty sought after these days. Quality varies, but they're short-run injection moulded and there's usually no alternative if you want that model.

Pegasus were short-run injection moulded from the 80s and 90s I think. Again, niche subjects, but generally pretty well done. Some, such as your Kikka above, have subsequently been redone by other companies (in this case Fine Molds).

All depends what you paid for them? Can you recall what the vacforms were?

HTH

SD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pegasus went on into the 2000s, and show a marked increase in buildability over the lifespan (the owner, Chris Gannon, sold Pegasus amd the WW1 1/48th line Blue Max, along with the post war 1.48 Silver Cloud to Colin Strachan of Freightdog, and a few of the later kits are still available). Later Pegasus kits were  exclusively WW1, and much, much better than the earlier ones. At some point they moved over into boxes, and included decent decals and white metal parts that varied from mangled to very good. What you have is a fairly early kit that will test you unless you've come across the like before. Nonetheless, some of us still love them.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

HUMA Models was a small, single-person German company which offered a quite esoteric selection of German aircraft (e.g. Ar 396, Ar 68, DFS 228, DFS 346, Me309/609) and some Luft 46 stuff. They exclusively did 1/72 except for one kit, the Flettner Fl 282 in 1/48. See here for their portfolio: https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkCOMPNAME[]="Huma"

Regarding quality, while they are short-run I would still consider them superior to many currently available kits and they build well. Most feature razor-sharp leading edges and HUMA was known for their 'injection-etched' parts. No idea how they did it but many small parts are so delicate and thin that they rival photo etched sets.

I would rate them as quite accurate overall. There is a modeller on a German modelling forum who supplied original documents he had access to in the US to Mr. Huhn (owner of HUMA) in the past for creating these kits (e.g. the Me 209).

The only downside are the sometimes not so sharp and straight panel lines and many kits would benefit from some interior detailing. As mentioned previously, they are quite sought after now as they are the only choice for many subjects.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pegaus is a well known maker of unusual aircraft which the main kit makers never did, until recently

They are designed for experienced modellers

Short run kits of very good quality. Most have white metal parts for things such as wheels, props. The biplanes in the range usually come with a length of shaped rod for the struts which you you have to cut to size

Kingkit usually has a good range of these kit. Prices range from about £9 to £19.99

afair The vac-form maker was West German and their kits were aimed at the German home market mostly and usually was only of unusual German aircraft, again, ones not made by the main kit makers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Huma made out of the ordinary and unusual Luftwaffe models - they're pretty sought after these days. Quality varies, but they're short-run injection moulded and there's usually no alternative if you want that model.

Pegasus were short-run injection moulded from the 80s and 90s I think. Again, niche subjects, but generally pretty well done. Some, such as your Kikka above, have subsequently been redone by other companies (in this case Fine Molds).

All depends what you paid for them? Can you recall what the vacforms were?

HTH

SD

I paid £6 for all four models. 

The vacforms were Me 109 and FW 190. 

• Like 3

Huma was a German company (or possibly just the one guy) which made some of the less well-known German aircraft, along with some of the prototypes and planned projects. I had quite a few of the kits but ended up selling the more “out there” stuff and kept the pre-war and training aircraft. 

Although I haven’t actually got around to building one yet, they look pretty decent for limited run models, especially given the time when they were produced. 

I seem to remember the guy behind Huma retired a few years ago. That was a shame, but you can’t begrudge anyone their retirement. I wonder what happened to all the moulds?

• Like 2

Basically a one-man job, the early kits eg Klemm 35being pretty basic but the final ones excellent, with finer detail than the major companies.  His Ju.288 was left unfinished for some years, but he was persuaded to release it.  It really wasn't up to the same standard as his immediately preceding ones.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It seems odd that anyone would bother making a vacform of a Bf.109 or Fw.190.  Were these some particularly odd variant?

I didn't really take note TBH as it is not my thing. 

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It seems odd that anyone would bother making a vacform of a Bf.109 or Fw.190.  Were these some particularly odd variant?

I have a Messer 209, 309, and did have a 109 H and a T.1 and a Fw.190 2-seat trainer

I gave the two 109s away and got regular i/m kits, and gave away the 190 but never replaced it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

If the same chap is at the boot sale tomorrow I'll buy the lot!

You could sell the ones you don't really want on here. There are a few modellers who would like them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

You could sell the ones you don't really want on here. There are a few modellers who would like them

Ah right. That's an idea as they are not really my thing. Not sure on pricing though, maybe trades?

Just had a look and the Kikka has got white metal parts in there. It says on the pack "for experienced modellers" which certainly isn't me! 🤣

I don't think that the Kikka will give you any trouble.  Pegasus kits were generally easy to assemble (though I'd avoid their Albacore!), they just lack finer details that you'd expect to find in mainstream kits of the same period.  Just be careful with cleaning up the parts and dry fit first.  Trailing edges may need thinning down, ditto wheel doors.  Even if you are not a particularly good modeller, you can use these kits to practice basic skills and amke yourself just a little bit better.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Basically a one-man job, the early kits eg Klemm 35being pretty basic but the final ones excellent, with finer detail than the major companies.  

spacer.png

• Like 1

Right.

Pegasus kits were produced in the 80's by a guy who's name escapes me. But he was in the Faversham / Whitstable area. Was a regular at Southern expo with his wife as a trader. Did the moulds for the Brigade 2 seat 1/48 Spitfire.

Hope this might jog a few memories...... Help me out with a name please.

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jenko said:

Right.

Pegasus kits were produced in the 80's by a guy who's name escapes me. But he was in the Faversham / Whitstable area. Was a regular at Southern expo with his wife as a trader. Did the moulds for the Brigade 2 seat 1/48 Spitfire.

Hope this might jog a few memories...... Help me out with a name please.

Dick

Chris Gannon, but as apparently this is a merged thread, he was mentioned already in the other one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Chris Gannon, but as apparently this is a merged thread, he was mentioned already in the other one.

Thanks. That will teach me to read everything.:whistle: :doh:

Dick

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There was a Falcon conversion kit for Bf 109 and Fw 190 two-seaters, and the Bf 109 G-14. They later produced a complete, injection-moulded, Bf 109 G-12 and if I remember rightly I have a Falcon injection-moulded kit of a G-14 in the stash.

• Like 2