Tamiya 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F15C Eagle

Afternoon All,

This is my latest build, a 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F15C Eagle. An older kit from Tamiya but nonetheless the good quality we are used to. 

Built OOB and it went together without any significant issues.
It was primed with XF-24 Dark Grey and pre-shaded with XF-1 black. The two camo colours are fairly light greys which were probably Dark & Light Ghost Grey. I followed the Tamiya instructions and used XF-66 Light Grey and XF-2 White mixed 1:3 and XF-19 Sky Grey and XF-2 White mixed 1:2 respectively. Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver was used for the heat shield areas.
Not too much weathering. Flory dark dirt wash to highlight panel lines and Abteilung oils.

A very enjoyable build and I'm quite pleased with the result.

DSC_0172

DSC_0173

DSC_0174

DSC_0175

DSC_0177

DSC_0178

DSC_0162

DSC_0160

Cheers, Steve

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

That's fabulous. 👍👍 I have one of these in the stash... a bargain price compared to other Eagles in that scale so was concerned it would be poor, but as yours has proved it's still a great kit.  Thanks for sharing yours...great inspiration. The colour mix looks superb too, so Tamiya were spot on with their recommended mixes. I hate mixing so will try and use some out of the tin paints. The weathering is also very well done. Cracking result.

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve, 

I really like your F-15. You have done a great job with the paint job. Nice to see making use of other colours mixed together to get the shade you want rather than buying a 'stock' colour. It looks very nice and one to be proud of. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

That's fabulous. 👍👍 I have one of these in the stash... a bargain price compared to other Eagles in that scale so was concerned it would be poor, but as yours has proved it's still a great kit.  Thanks for sharing yours...great inspiration. The colour mix looks superb too, so Tamiya were spot on with their recommended mixes. I hate mixing so will try and use some out of the tin paints. The weathering is also very well done. Cracking result.

Thanks for looking in. I picked this up for $45, a bargain compared with other kits. I also had doubts about what I would find but was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Great looking Eagle.  

As you say, the Tamiya Eagle is a winner for its ease of building and price point...  Makes it a double threat for my bank balance... ;)

The fit and finish are exceptionally good, and the photos really capture all your hard work and subtle weathering.

Bravo that man!! 🏆👏

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Steve, 

I really like your F-15. You have done a great job with the paint job. Nice to see making use of other colours mixed together to get the shade you want rather than buying a 'stock' colour. It looks very nice and one to be proud of. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

Agree completely!

• Thanks 1

On 20/08/2022 at 05:29, SteveMc said:

Afternoon All,

This is my latest build, a 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F15C Eagle. An older kit from Tamiya but nonetheless the good quality we are used to. 

Built OOB and it went together without any significant issues.
It was primed with XF-24 Dark Grey and pre-shaded with XF-1 black. The two camo colours are fairly light greys which were probably Dark & Light Ghost Grey. I followed the Tamiya instructions and used XF-66 Light Grey and XF-2 White mixed 1:3 and XF-19 Sky Grey and XF-2 White mixed 1:2 respectively. Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver was used for the heat shield areas.
Not too much weathering. Flory dark dirt wash to highlight panel lines and Abteilung oils.

A very enjoyable build and I'm quite pleased with the result.

DSC_0172

DSC_0173

DSC_0174

DSC_0175

DSC_0177

DSC_0178

DSC_0162

DSC_0160

Cheers, Steve

How beautiful aircraft is the  MacDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle,

including She is from a great moment in Histoty,

The F-15A looks like a bride , clean, pure, ellegant in clothes and very very sensual !

Southviper from Brazil

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Superb Eagle with a very convincing but subtle weathering.

Did you have sprayed the camo scheme free hand ?

Thanks for your kind comments Berns. The camo was painted free hand which is my usual method. I laid down the lighter grey first then did the darker grey.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1