Long, Long Time Ago - Duplicated Idea, Please Disregard.

I have inadvertently duplicated the essence of, @ColonelKrypton's proposal so please consider this one withdrawn and sign on here instead>>>>>>>>>>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that almost all Britmodellers would claim an interest in history.

The period that dominates the forum is WWII. Given the ages of most of us, that’s the war of our fathers or grandparents, the war we saw all those exciting movies about while we were growing up. The one that produced so many reference photos. I haven’t counted but I bet way more than half of our RFI topics are WWII based. 

Most of the remaining RFIs cover the longer time period from 1914 to the present day. Given the dominance of aviation subjects, that’s not a surprise either. 

The world didn’t begin in 1914 though, as I’m personally discovering in my own modelling. In the last few years, I’ve become interested in sailing ships and to a lesser extent, figures from the Napoleonic wars and earlier. 

I had always read about the earlier historical periods, but had seldom built models from way back when. There aren’t many model kits to make, for one thing. Perhaps I was saving them up for my own old age. 😉

So, how about it? Who else would consider going outside their comfort era?

To be honest, this isn’t a serious proposal for a GB. It will never reach the bunfight  - not in a million years!🤣 No, this is more of an opportunity to chat about why it won’t. 

From dinosaurs to stage coaches, there have always been a few models kicking around at the back of the shelves that predate the 20th century, have you ever built one? Would you if there were more of them? What’s your period and do you know why?

• Like 5

It’s a good point, I used to build dinosaurs. The oldest thing in my collection is a 1913 Depredussen racer. I’d definitely go for something older if there were a GB a Roman galley, said same dinosaurs( palaeontology being one of my other interests) or one of Davinci many war machine designs could be fun.

And yes if I can’t get the 38(t)  or Zitadel 80th proposals into the bunfight, this one hasn’t a chance. That said I’d love for the members to prove us wrong :) 

Actual a thought did occur to me that maybe we should have a few Moderator selected wildcard GBs so that we don’t just end up with a load of dull but popular GBs. E.g my favourite in recent times was the Anything but injection GB and even though I love modelling specific projects I do sometimes find the STGBs are a bit dull. Anyhoo soapbox put away.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On a lark I had started a proposal for a group build way back in early December 2021 that is titled "Anything pre 1919" 

I purposely chose 1919 as that being the end of the Great War so as to entice anyone who might have an interest in subjects from that era and the before part was to open to the door for all of those previous eras and interesting subjects of all sorts. There was a bit of initial interest and from time to time I make a quick post to bring the proposal back into the lime light for a bit which.

Currently stands at 17 interested with the esteemed @Marklo already on the list.

I think the biggest challenge is the hobby industry itself. The money is on the subject matter that @Bertie McBoatface has noted with more kits being issued and re-issued every day. Only rarely it seems that a few manufacturers expand into other eras - the Great War being one of them being served reasonably well by Roden, Eduard, Copper State Models ( CSM ), ICM, etc - mostly aeroplanes but also some vehicles and ships but little else before the turn of the 20th century. There are figure painters that seem to have some selection of subject matter pre 20th century but I don't know much of anything about that aspect of the hobby so I couldn't say whether it is healthy and growing or has become stagnant.

The hobby is not dying, it is just constantly changing - witness the popularity of Gundam/Gunpla, Warhammer, etc.

cheers, Graham

• Like 3

On 8/20/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

I believe that almost all Britmodellers would claim an interest in history.

The period that dominates the forum is WWII. Given the ages of most of us, that’s the war of our fathers or grandparents, the war we saw all those exciting movies about while we were growing up. The one that produced so many reference photos. I haven’t counted but I bet way more than half of our RFI topics are WWII based. 

Most of the remaining RFIs cover the longer time period from 1914 to the present day. Given the dominance of aviation subjects, that’s not a surprise either. 

Gidday Bertie, I must admit that my main interest is WW1 & 2. I have a model in mind that might suit your idea here, and that of @ColonelKrypton above. It would be scratch built as I've not seen any kits of it and it would be basic as there aren't drawings of it that I'm aware of, and definitely no photos of it. As to accuracy it would be a lot of conjecture on my part for the same reasons. Regards, Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...

Bertie, for you fantasy is very developed🙂.

For me this GB will be interesting. I always liked battle elephants. And a few years ago I built USS "Monitor"(1864 approximately😉)

p?i=ccd543aa6f03b241039f616d66c95c52

Edited by MARADER

My real interest lies in the 14th Century. That is because I used to be in a 'Medieval History' presentation group and were tended to concentrate on the period 1170 to 1326. And for certain information, eg daily eating, I was the one relied upon to do the research. But I favoured 1307 to 1389. Then other periods were taken in as my period was influenced by or influenced other eras

Using my time machine I do travel back to the Classical Greek, Mid-Roman, Greater Viking and early Europe periods. (11th to 13th centuries)  (take a packed lunch and hand wipes)

My time machine is useful for going forwards (in perspective from the 14th C ) to the English Civil War period, The Glorious Revolution years and on through to the Napoleonic Wars to visit Quatre Bras and Waterloo.

But the Battle of Trafalgar was scary. I noticed this chap there;

1805%20Royal%20Marine,%2055,%20edited-M.

I've only stopped off for a tea break in the Tudor period and met Queen Elizabeth 1st and to see the ships Mary Rose and Peter Pomegranate

Queen%20Elizabeth%201,%2009s-M.jpg

If you look hard enough there are some model kits out there. for early periods. Not a great many, but they are there. From wheellock pistols, Viking ships & crew, Greek, Athenian, Roman figures by Miniart, white-metal and resin Knights of 11th to 15th Centuries and more

Aurora, and some others did a Roman Bireme

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=bireme*

and Triremes

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=trireme**

My current time machine is reluctant to come, or to visit anything newer, more recent, as WW1 or even beyond 1816, but by fiddling with the glass valves and the flux capacitor and the triode dielectric nodule I've managed to trick it into visiting the US West of 1860s through 1910. But that is for my leather crafting projects only so far

Time travel is currently suspended due to that I can not get some new used radioactive uranium from a certain eastern Europe country 

Models of things from early periods certainly make interesting displays at shows. A real break from lines of aeroplanes or tanks, no matter how well they are built and displayed.

Although of a period later than you reckon; my series of 1/72 WW1 Fokker Dr.1s in their multitudinous of bright paint jobs drew more attention than all the other aircraft/AFVs/ships at the last show my club did. I even had some people wanting to buy them!

• Like 3

Sounds interesting Bertie

A couple of ancient figures.

A Greek Hoplite, probably Athenian from his device (the swan representing Zeus, from the Leda and the Swan story)
IMG_2977.jpg

And, much more modern, a Roman Auxiliary soldier (1st century AD)
IMG_2978.jpg

On 8/20/2022 at 9:40 AM, Marklo said:

I’d definitely go for something older if there were a GB

Well you are already in the Pre-1918 one so that's worked out nicely.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:09 PM, ColonelKrypton said:

On a lark I had started a proposal for a group build way back in early December 2021 that is titled "Anything pre 1919"

I either didn't see that or read it (as I think many would) as First World War. The earlier suggestion takes precedence so anyone interested, please all add your names to The Colonel's Proposal (Which sounds like a Victorian melodrama in itself!).

@ArnoldAmbrose, @MARADER,

@Robert Stuart, @Black Knight

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Long, Long Time Ago - Duplicated Idea, Please Disregard.
On 20/08/2022 at 07:38, Bertie McBoatface said:

. . . 

To be honest, this isn’t a serious proposal for a GB. It will never reach the bunfight  - not in a million years!🤣 No, this is more of an opportunity to chat about why it won’t. 

From dinosaurs to stage coaches, there have always been a few models kicking around at the back of the shelves that predate the 20th century, have you ever built one? Would you if there were more of them? What’s your period and do you know why?

I tot wee wuz just tawkin like

• Haha 1