Jump to content

Airfix vs. ICM Do 17Z in 1/72nd scale


MarkoZG
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would like to ask for the opinion about comparison of these two kits. Both are of similar age and made up to the modern standards.

Despite that, they differ a lot in many details, both in shape and size. I can't tell which is right here, so I would like to ask for someone 

more knowledgeable to tell.

Thanks.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hands down ICM expect the strut structure in front of the engines.

 

It is better in shapes, detailing, surface, plastic quality.

 

Airfix was able to be first to visit the wreck at Cosford so they should have been able to do it better.

 

Cheers,

 

AaCee

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are good reviews of both. A colleague has built both and said there is not much between them. He found inaccurate plans on the net (differing length and span of same model) so went mainly  with photos and decided they were both "not too bad" for accuracy but neither was perfect. I should build mine (both of them).

ICM - better surface detail, needs work on engines

Airfix - some shapes better, (for him) much better price.

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=airfix+icm+do17+comparison&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU753AU753&oq=airfix+icm+do17+comparison&aqs=chrome..69i57.12825j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

 

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraft-icm-dornier-do17z2/3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hands down ICM expect the strut structure in front of the engines.

 

It is better in shapes, detailing, surface, plastic quality.

 

Hei!

 

I would be interested to know more details about Airfix Do 17 accuracy. I have been "out of circles" for some years so an update is welcomed.

I have the Airfix still in box and ICM Do 215 almost put together. The quality of the latter was pleasant surprise

 

Cheers,

Kari

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding is that the Airfix designers made use of information from the exampled recovered from the Goodwin Sands.  What use they made of this is not known to me.

 

You ar fortunate with your ICM kit - I have their first attempt and it was an unpleasant surprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hands down ICM expect the strut structure in front of the engines.

 

It is better in shapes, detailing, surface, plastic quality.

 

Airfix was able to be first to visit the wreck at Cosford so they should have been able to do it better.

 

Cheers,

 

AaCee

When comparing the photos of built kits of both, to my eye Airfix look more Do 17Z-like overall, so I thought ICM might have 

advantage in some details. For example, the window of ventral gun is different as some other details are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

There are good reviews of both. A colleague has built both and said there is not much between them. He found inaccurate plans on the net (differing length and span of same model) so went mainly  with photos and decided they were both "not too bad" for accuracy but neither was perfect. I should build mine (both of them).

ICM - better surface detail, needs work on engines

Airfix - some shapes better, (for him) much better price.

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=airfix+icm+do17+comparison&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU753AU753&oq=airfix+icm+do17+comparison&aqs=chrome..69i57.12825j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

 

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraft-icm-dornier-do17z2/3

 

 

8 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

I would be interested to know more details about Airfix Do 17 accuracy.

 

1 hour ago, MarkoZG said:

When comparing the photos of built kits of both, to my eye Airfix look more Do 17Z-like overall, so I thought ICM might have 

advantage in some details. For example, the window of ventral gun is different as some other details are.

Hi Gentz,

 

Good links.


The original Do 17Z-manual has very good drawings of the type as well as dimensions. There are many subtypes of the type and ofc continuous development of the type so detail differences are likely. IIRC InScale Decals instruction sheet mentions some of them.

 

When compared panel lines to photos ICM is correct especially on wings. Wing-fuselage-joint in rear-cockpit area has better shapes in ICM. "Passanger rear door" to the bomb-bay is wrong position in the Airfix. I don't remember if the horizontal stabilizer has kink to forward in Airfix, it is missing from some Dornier x17-family but worth to check.

 

Airfix is not a bad kit but in my books ICM is better of these two. Both as a kit and a model. Their Do 215 shares lots of the Do 17.

 

ICM worst issue is the ridiculous strut system in front of the engines. It shouldn't be a difficult to correct for an sesoned modeller. IIRC both of them are missing bottom of the istruments in front of the isntrument panel visible through the front glazing. A funny thong is that Airfix has detailed interiors of the closed landing gear doors :)

 

What are the issues of the ICM when compared to the Airfix kit? I'd like to check them myself.

 

Price depends on the location. In mainland Europe they have been about the same level.

 

Cheers,

 

AaCee

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've not built either kit but from what I've read on various reviews the ICM kit is considered to be the better option.

 

I'm still hoping ICM will also release a Do217E in this scale to update the rather elderly Italeri kit.

 

Regards

Colin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i very much preferred the way the icm kit built compared to the airfix kit, the only problem with the icm kit is the engine struts and it's very easy to correct with some stretched sprue, i got my airfix kits when you could get them for about £12, the new issue is nearly £30!

airfix

spacer.png

and the icm kit

 

spacer.png

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully both address the issue with the Italeri Do217E where the pilot's seat is a huge distance away from the control column and instrument panel!

 

Regards

Colin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2022 at 12:32 AM, AaCee26 said:

Airfix was able to be first to visit the wreck at Cosford so they should have been able to do it better.

Not sure how much use that would have been, given the condition that it was in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...