Ukrainian MiG-29's employing US AGM-88 HARM's

Slater

33 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Werner, no need to assume. It's definitely a single seater as I was able to identify the individual machine based on the Pixel camo pattern visible in the video. 

Every MiG-29 overhauled since 2012 received an individual digital pattern, no two are the same.

Using the pattern visible between 0:03 - 0:06 in the video and in the 'over the shoulder' views I did some detective work and could identify the machine using publicly available sources. 

Means I have my subject for a future build now B)

Cheers

Markus

Uh oh.....disaster looms in competition 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slater said:

Shoot all you want. Raytheon will be happy to make more (for a modest fee, of course).

They seem to be rather  old models anyway.... seem to be put to good use though!

Does this mean the Rusdian air defence radars get at risk  when Ukrainian jets are overhead?!  And switch off? Would not the more modern ones be aware of Harm capabilities 20 years+ after Kosovo?

On 9/10/2022 at 6:02 AM, exdraken said:

They seem to be rather  old models anyway.... seem to be put to good use though!

Does this mean the Rusdian air defence radars get at risk  when Ukrainian jets are overhead?!  And switch off? Would not the more modern ones be aware of Harm capabilities 20 years+ after Kosovo?

If they shut off while the UKR jets are overhead, that's a successful SEAD mission, regardless of whether a HARM left the rail or not.  I'm guessing very few HARMs have actually hit their target but that's nearly beside the point.   Now you have a bunch of Russian SAM troops very hesitant to turn on their radars.   That's what matters. 

• Like 12

Finally, pictures are out which show how the AGM-88 is mounted on Ukraine MiG-29s. No excuse not to add some of them to your Fulcrum kit now so they can cause some HARM :D

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1570426686872715265?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1570426686872715265|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/mil_in_ua/status/1570411548484550657?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1570411548484550657|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Cheers

Markus

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Now we know the exact purpose of the tablet in the cockpit of Ukraine MiG-29s.

From Wikipedia:

"Usage on Ukrainian aircraft
Soviet/Russian bombs use one suspension lug. American weapons like JDAMS use two. Previously they have been fitted to Polish MiG-29s. These MiG-29s were adapted to carry Western munitions. Including work on bomb racks and replacement of Soviet computer systems. However Ukrainian aircraft don’t have time for lengthy adaptations.[40]

It appears that an adapter has been fitted to the existing pylons. This adapter was first used to fire HARM missiles “months” ago. The JDAM however needs to know the aircraft’s speed, location and height before being released to accurately hit its target. This has led to a “smart” pylon being used by Ukraine to provide this information to HARM missile. The “smart” pylon is connected to a smart device via Bluetooth. 10 years ago it was a laptop but it is now suggested that a tablet could do the same job. It allows a pilot to press the button that electronically releases the weapon.[41]"

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2022 at 3:45 AM, GMK said:

“appear that a special adapter was made to fit the missile's dedicated LAU-118 pylon”

On 9/10/2022 at 3:34 AM, Steve McArthur said:

Now in use on Su-27s

spacer.png

Another view of the Su-27:

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get anything meaningful out of translator for the "B'yu" - "not I ... - the willow leafs out", possibly meant in the sense of "strikes out". As you will probably aware, in German the leafing-out of plants is the same as "striking out", so maybe too in Ukrainian.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 4:01 PM, Shorty84 said:

Hmm, translator says:"I don't beat - the willow beats." Some kind of proverb maybe? 

That was enough for Google - thanks!: 

Ukrainians have an interesting tradition: lightly beat each other with willow branches, consecrated after the service, saying: “I don’t beat – the willow beats, Easter is in a week.”

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

From an acquaintance in Ukraine: "The writing makes a reference to Easter and willow branches with which, by old-fashioned Christian tradition, a man should strike a woman for Easter holiday luck. The line apparently directed to Russian radar operators says “It’s the willow that’s hitting you, not me”.

• Thanks 1