Ukrainian MiG-29's employing US AGM-88 HARM's

Slater

I'm certain that the missiles are being employed in a very restricted mode.   Maybe not even being cued to target, possible just being lofted in dumb mode in hopes that the missile will lock onto something before it runs out of energy

IIRC, the HARM was first used in Vietnam. I'm sure it has been greatly upgraded since then. I read years ago that the missile could remember the location of any radar-emissions it had locked on to, even if the radar-operators shut the entire system down to protect it. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

21 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

IIRC, the HARM was first used in Vietnam. I'm sure it has been greatly upgraded since then. I read years ago that the missile could remember the location of any radar-emissions it had locked on to, even if the radar-operators shut the entire system down to protect it. 

HARM entered service in the '80s and was first used against Libya in '86.  AGM-45 Shrike which looks similar, but smaller was a Vietnam era weapon along with AGM-78 Standard ARM

Edited by Steve McArthur
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Slater said:

HARM (IIRC) has  a "pre-emptive" mode whereby it can be fired into a target area with having locked on to a threat emitter. 

This, no integration needed.

In this mode the missile is fully reliant on its own electronics. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/how-ukraine-couldve-quickly-put-agm-88-anti-radiation-missiles-to-use

Also don't forget there is a war on, in peacetime we tie ourselves in knots trying to run every possible release scenario before anything gets cleared for service. Similar things happened in the Falklands war. I also have a theory this is one of the reasons why Elon Musk kicks NASA's butt. Launch rocket, rocket blows up. Fix what failed, launch again.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, GMK said:

Some inflight pics:

wow, great!

can anyone say if this is a single or a 2 seater MiG-29?

the second pic is definitely from a front seat

some out of the norm screens and device on the center and right... is this an upgraded MU 1/2 type Fulcrum at all?

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

wow, great!

some out of the norm screens and device on the center and right... is this an upgraded MU 1/2 type Fulcrum at all?

The one on the right is just a GPS unit isn't it?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Slater said:

Wonder what the actual success rate of HARM has been?

it is generally not too high for hard kills as i understand (not specifically related to Ukraine) but the soft kill aspect (air defence radars being swithed off with attackers overhead) is not to be underestimated as well!

I found the video

could indeed be a two seater!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slater said:

Wonder what the actual success rate of HARM has been?

Depends on how you define success? Likely complicates Russian air defence ops, gives a rudimentary self protection capability that wasn’t there previously to UKR MIG29s, & is a propaganda win, also, so I’d say it’s been useful/successful. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

wow, great!

The aircraft the pilot is seen climbing in to (with the cuddly 🐻 on the dash) is definitely a single seater. When the pilots climbing the ladder you can see the gun port is forward of of the canopy rail, if it was a UB it would be behind.

9 minutes ago, Muzz said:

The aircraft the pilot is seen climbing in to (with the cuddly 🐻 on the dash) is definitely a single seater. When the pilots climbing the ladder you can see the gun port is forward of of the canopy rail, if it was a UB it would be behind.

I noted that... somehow.... but then also there are in cockpit shots where you can see R-27 missiles ... so not all footage is from the same sortie...

but lets assume it is single seaters ;) , also because GWH did not produce a two seater yet :(  and that 2 seaters might miss chaff and flare dispensers quite useful in wartime 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:02 PM, exdraken said:

some out of the norm screens and device on the center and right

Seems the center one (tablet?) supplies targeting information and the right one looks to be a (handheld) GPS

Me thinks a Ukrainian MiG-29 armed with two HARMs has just moved up the 'potential project' list :wicked:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm wondering if Ukraine might have been able to use input from some NATO users of the Mig29 who've had experience of tying a HARM onto their aircraft?

Steve.

AFAIK no NATO MiG-29 operator integrated NATO missiles, either A2A or A2G, on their Fulcrums.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

AFAIK no NATO MiG-29 operator integrated NATO missiles, either A2A or A2G, on their Fulcrums.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre, it was just a thought. One thing I've learnt in life is just how innovative & adaptive humans can be when their backs are to the wall. I suspect this is an example of that.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:14 PM, exdraken said:

but lets assume it is single seaters ;)

Hi Werner, no need to assume. It's definitely a single seater as I was able to identify the individual machine based on the Pixel camo pattern visible in the video. 

Every MiG-29 overhauled since 2012 received an individual digital pattern, no two are the same.

Using the pattern visible between 0:03 - 0:06 in the video and in the 'over the shoulder' views I did some detective work and could identify the machine using publicly available sources. 

Means I have my subject for a future build now B)

Cheers

Markus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1