The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (actually, it’s an Airfix Control Tower, not a Bungalow!)

A while back I did a pathetic attempt at a WIP on a Spitfire - my 3rd model since I was 9 or so (1950s!). It was dreadful, but I learned from it. Mostly, don’t do WIPs. I started a Beaufighter TT 10 but somehow I got stuck so rather than mess it up (any more than usual, anyway) I’ve put it to one side for now.

A recent discussion in the Maritime area resulted in me being encouraged to try scratch building HMS Warrior. Given that I’ve had no need to do that sort of thing since hacking and filing at Halton in the mid 70s, I think that would be a tad ambitious?

I was, however, encouraged to do something that needed a bit more than glueing so I looked on top of the wardrobe and found………..

WIP Control Tower

Edited by BillF67
  • Like 4

Now obviously this is a kit so what’s to scratch build on this? Well, there ain’t no innards! So I’m planning on giving it some. Hopefully, a first floor, various room partitions, window glazing and with a bit of luck, furniture. A bit of work outside to represent some grass and away we go! The kit comes with 3 figures but I want a few more so I’ll use a few from here…

WIP Control Tower

This will keep me going for some time as, for once, I taking it slow and steady!

• Like 3

I’ve now seen Mark Harmsworth’s built Tower. Lovely job! I’ll borrow ideas but try to be different.

P.S. Can’t resist the comfy chair, though😜

Edited by BillF67
  • Like 2

Gidday Bill, this I find interesting. Does your control tower have a floor/base? Many years ago my son had a train set. The switching gear (control?) tower was a two storey outside shell only. Looked good outside, nothing inside. So I made some innards as you called then, the top floor having all the switching levers, plus chair and desk and an enclosed wood fire in the centre. Then the outside shell was simply lowered over it. The reason for the enclosed fire was that I could have lights inside up under the sloped roof - the wires went up inside the fire's flue and the light attached to the top of it, out of sight.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do here. And of course your HMS Warrior😁       Regards, Jeff.

No base, no upper floor, only a roof. I plan on putting it on a base but not glued down so I can lift it to show wot I dun inside. I don’t plan on fixing the roof down either for the same reason. I’ll sit down and sketch what I mean - hopefully it will make sense🤞

16 hours ago, BillF67 said:

No base, no upper floor, only a roof. I plan on putting it on a base but not glued down so I can lift it to show wot I dun inside.

Gidday, pretty similar to wot I dun (Slade? 🙂) for my son's switching hut, although the ground floor was solid, all the detail was in the upper floor, and the roof was attached to the side walls.

And yeah, your sketches certainly make sense.      Regards, Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Model Mate. I’d come to that conclusion😖

Actually done a bit of cutting stuff! I’ll upload photos for your amusement once

i get my iPad back from the fixer upper. I’ll also plan how to do stairs🤔

Excellent. I honestly thought there weren't any of these left unbuilt. That box looks in almost perfect condition - where has it been all these years?

I had a lot of fun with mine - good luck with your build. 

Mark

Just a suggestion but if you add 'Airfix Control Tower' to your title that may add interest.

Edited by Mark Harmsworth
just a suggestion

• BillF67 changed the title to The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (actually, it’s an Airfix Control Tower, not a Bungalow!)

spacer.pngMade a start by putting supports in for the upper floor. The sides are only tacked together to give me a template for the floors.

spacer.png

Then made the lower floor and partitions for some offices (all completely fictitious and wrong but it’s my model so who cares?)

spacer.pngMade a staircase. Not totally happy with it - it’s a bit wonky in places. I might try again but it shows the idea. Started the paint scheme - cream grey over green, a fairly common one as I understand. The floor will be a darkish brown to represent the Lino I spent hours buffing manually at Swinderby all those years ago🙂

• Like 2

Next up a bit of glazing and furniture for the other office. Then assemble the structure round this bit and get the base ready.

It’s OK to criticise - this is my first attempt at this sort of thing. I’d particularly like a tip or two on adding some simple definition to the figures - they’re a bit 2D☹️

P.S. The office furniture is photo etch set from Severn Models. More of it will appear later. Another first for me, p.e. But I must say this little set is 👍. The old phone and wire was me - modelling clay and fuse wire.

Edited by BillF67
To add credit for PE set

Like what you are doing here Bill. Made this as a kid.

With the figures you could try using a wash to give a bit of shadow to the uniforms, which should give them a bit more definition.

Personally I think the floor is a bit too gloss, maybe a semi gloss would look better. Only my opinion.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Plan B! Many thanks to @f111guru who provided interior plans of a not dissimilar Control Tower. The interior is far more complex than I suspected. So, away with the old and in with the new😎

General ground floor layout:

spacer.png

• Like 1

And a downstairs toilet (one of two. This is the Airmen’s, Officer’s next door but I haven’t made it yet). Toilet made from clay, brass tube and thread!

spacer.png

• Like 3

I need to refine the stair partition - it’s not right - then scratch build a telephone switchboard and some electrical boxes. Then I can finish painting the lower floor area and populate it. Hey ho!

• Like 1

I've caught up with great interest. Watching, hmm well learning as to the direction you are going. Fantastic work so far. I'm still purchasing when I can equipment and furniture of the era. I'm also saving to buy a mid range 3d printer so I can learn the art of producing what I need for the projects in store. This control tower build of mine is somewhere down the road to continue. I have 2 F-111 dioramas and an F-4D diorama to do first.

Continued success your project tower @BillF67

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1