T72 B1 with reactive armour.

Whitewolf

10 hours ago, Old pro said:

Depends what you are after, just photos or technical details, there are so many publications out there these days but there is just as much information on the internet.

I've been hunting for reference pics of the T72B1 with the reactive armour on service with Russia and 🇺🇦,  found a few pics, but ideally a good reference book on the T72 would be useful

I don’t know of any reference books specific to the T 72B/B1 most include it but focus on earlier or later versions. The only difference between the B and B1 is the 9K120 sight on the B, otherwise they are the same. ERA layout varies from tank to tank (placement is the same, just not all fitted) but other than the sight there are no differences. It is only with the introduction of the model 89 and later do variants occur such as Kontakt 5 ERA and wind sensors and then the B3 and B3M. The best source of information is the T72 Facebook group if you are in to social media.

20 minutes ago, Old pro said:

I don’t know of any reference books specific to the T 72B/B1 most include it but focus on earlier or later versions. The only difference between the B and B1 is the 9K120 sight on the B, otherwise they are the same. ERA layout varies from tank to tank (placement is the same, just not all fitted) but other than the sight there are no differences. It is only with the introduction of the model 89 and later do variants occur such as Kontakt 5 ERA and wind sensors and then the B3 and B3M. The best source of information is the T72 Facebook group if you are in to social media.

Many thanks. I'm not on Facebook, so it'll have to be books I'm afraid. Came across some nice pics of a repaired Ukranian Tank with digital camo created by painting individual blocks in differing colours  to create the pattern.

5 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Many thanks. I'm not on Facebook, so it'll have to be books I'm afraid. Came across some nice pics of a repaired Ukranian Tank with digital camo created by painting individual blocks in differing colours  to create the pattern.

I would be careful what you are looking at, not seen any Ukrainian B1 in pixel camo ( not saying they don’t exist) but a lot of pictures are not Ukrainian vehicles, there is a Georgian B1 painted as you describe that keeps showing up as a Ukrainian vehicle, the only pixelated B 1 I have seen belong to the separatists all others seem to be AVs  

6 hours ago, Old pro said:

I would be careful what you are looking at, not seen any Ukrainian B1 in pixel camo ( not saying they don’t exist) but a lot of pictures are not Ukrainian vehicles, there is a Georgian B1 painted as you describe that keeps showing up as a Ukrainian vehicle, the only pixelated B 1 I have seen belong to the separatists all others seem to be AVs  

This is Ukrainian, one of 10 repaired after suffering battle damage and pictured to demonstrate Ukraine has the capacity to do so. Someone has just sprayed over tops of some of the blocks in 3 differing colours.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Old pro said:

If you head over to the kit maker forum for AFV in the modern forum under modelling armour in the Ukrainian crisis there are now a bunch of photos showing various T 72B used by the Ukrainians. Warning it is a very long thread!

Many thanks!

9 hours ago, Old pro said:

I know! Covers just about every type of equipment used, but takes time to go through😱😱😂😂😂

Certainly does! Not always easy to correctly identify certain types because of the similarities, but seems like everything from T64s, multiple versions of T72, T80s, T84s and T90s are out there on one side or the other or in some cases both!!

14 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Certainly does! Not always easy to correctly identify certain types because of the similarities, but seems like everything from T64s, multiple versions of T72, T80s, T84s and T90s are out there on one side or the other or in some cases both!!

With the Ukraine and the breakaway republics using the T 64 and both sides using the T 72 ( although the Russians are using the B3 ) etc I think only the T 84 is only used by the Ukrainians, it is further confusing in that some pictures are from Ukraines war with the LNR and DPR, there is also a lot of misinformation with vehicles reported to be Ukrainian and the destroyed vehicles with the exact same markings reported to be Russian. As a reference for weathering and modelling however it is a veritable treasure chest, I have been following it since the beginning and so only see the latest posts, went looking for a picture once but gave up got tired of scrolling constantly and getting nowhere 😳😂😂

9 hours ago, Old pro said:

With the Ukraine and the breakaway republics using the T 64 and both sides using the T 72 ( although the Russians are using the B3 ) etc I think only the T 84 is only used by the Ukrainians, it is further confusing in that some pictures are from Ukraines war with the LNR and DPR, there is also a lot of misinformation with vehicles reported to be Ukrainian and the destroyed vehicles with the exact same markings reported to be Russian. As a reference for weathering and modelling however it is a veritable treasure chest, I have been following it since the beginning and so only see the latest posts, went looking for a picture once but gave up got tired of scrolling constantly and getting nowhere 😳😂😂

There is some confusion as to which tanks are featured in some of the pics, or indeed their ownership. As Ukraine has now captured significant amounts of Russian armour, they are the most numerous user although there is a pic of a Ukranian T72B1 captured by the Russians.

Edited by Whitewolf

21 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

There is some confusion as to which tanks are featured in some of the pics, or indeed their ownership. As Ukraine has now captured significant amounts of Russian armour, they are the most numerous user although there is a pic of a Ukranian T72B1 captured by the Russians.

Sometimes I thinks it is important to separate the Russian army and those of the breakaway republics, although technically they are mostly Russian and on the same side, the breakaway republics are where you see a great amount of crossover with captured Ukrainian vehicles and supplied Russian vehicles. The Ukrainians of course have captured vehicles from both parties (more in the past week) there are even some vehicles that can’t decide which side they are on ( I presume the crew at the time knew). Despite that, the thread is a great resource if you want to build something different, the difference in modifications and weathering and damage is staggering.

2 hours ago, Old pro said:

Sometimes I thinks it is important to separate the Russian army and those of the breakaway republics, although technically they are mostly Russian and on the same side, the breakaway republics are where you see a great amount of crossover with captured Ukrainian vehicles and supplied Russian vehicles. The Ukrainians of course have captured vehicles from both parties (more in the past week) there are even some vehicles that can’t decide which side they are on ( I presume the crew at the time knew). Despite that, the thread is a great resource if you want to build something different, the difference in modifications and weathering and damage is staggering.

It certainly is! It's surprising how many tanks seem to be in a poor condition and missing multiple hull parts