1/700 Matchbox HMS Kelly/Kipling done as the Kipling

1/700 Matchbox HMS Kelly/Kipling done as the Kipling. I started this kit to kill some time while glue/paint dried on another and just got sucked into it. For some reason known only to the modeling gods, it went together with absolutely no problems. I did have to make a replacement torpedo unit as the one in the kit had a huge sink mark right in the middle of the top that was impossible to fix, but I chose a simple paint scheme so as not to tempt the fates further and used minimal PE and rigging. Turned out pretty nice for a very old kit.

PXL_20220819_134822979 PXL_20220819_134830842 PXL_20220819_134842564 PXL_20220819_134848496

• Like 21

12 minutes ago, gamevender said:

Turned out pretty nice for a very old kit

I'll say! it looks great. I'm amazed from an old 1980 tool at such a finicky scale! You've done a lovely job and the sea base has come out really well.

Andy

I'm often asked about my 'sea bases'. They are very simple to make. It's a six step process. 

1. Get an appropriately sized base and seal all its surfaces, top, bottom and sides, against water with varnish, polyurethane, etc.

2. Paint the 'sea surface' the color of the sea you are depicting, blue, blue/grey, green, etc.

3. Apply a coat of acrylic gel gloss medium (available in most art/hobby/craft stores). It will go on white, but will clear up as it dries. Work it into a wave pattern with a damp paintbrush, rinsing the brush every so often. Try to leave the coat under the ship thinner because...now push the ship into the wet medium where you want it. If any medium squishes out, use the brush to work it into the rest of the 'sea'. Let it dry. Usually for thinner coats of medium, overnight will do. 

4. Using a small paint brush, apply the bow wave and wake using 'globs' of medium worked up into peaks and then 'seal' the ship to the base by running some medium along the side which also simulates the churned up water in that area. Again, let dry.

5. Using oil based flat white paint, dry brush in the 'foam'. Don't use acrylics as they don't dry brush well and don't use gloss white as it doesn't stick well to the gloss acrylic. When you get to the point where you think 'just a little more white', stop and don't do it as it will probably wind up being too much. 

6. Seal the whole sea surface with a clear acrylic such as Johnsons Future/Klear.  

Here's another example. 

PXL_20220128_135435953

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 8/19/2022 at 10:15 PM, gamevender said:

Turned out pretty nice for a very old kit.

Gidday, I think she's turned out very nice indeed. She's a sleek looking ship, but then destroyers usually are. Well done. Regards, Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...