1/35 DAK tank crew with goggles and face coverings - any idea who might make them?

fittedkitchens

Folks, somewhere out there may be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a 1/35 DAK tank commander with googles and face-covering garb, as if in a sand storm or such.

I know that Valkyrie miniatures have a resin option.

A similar figure is depicted on the box art to one of Dragon's 1/35 Panzer 1 vehicles, but I don't think there's actually a figure included.

Does anyone know if there are any other options, particularly cheaper injected-moulded plastic  ones? I've taken a look through Scalemates and the like, but nothing has turned up.

Cheers!

Andy

I have never seen an injection plastic option, but there are a few possibilities:

verlinden MFTCG 5412:

spacer.png

An Ebay slow boat from china motorcycle crew that my be made to work:

spacer.png

Description is: Unpainted 1/35 German Soldiers Afrika Korps Resin Figure Model Kit-NO BIKE

An STL file that can be had from Cgtrader by paydi (creator):

spacer.png

You would need a resin printer, or know someone who has one, or you can probably have it done on a pay-to-print site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Verlinden closed down a number of years ago after Francois passed away, a few retailers still have odd ones in stock but probably not many.

If its resin I'd be looking at Alpine, they do a fair few Dak figures and are probably amongst the best figures available. 

Avoid Chinese recasts they are utter rubbish, basically they just rip off others work. I unfortunately bought some, before I knew better, so poorly cast only fit for the bin.

As for plastic, Dragon, Miniart, Master Box and Tristar all do Dak figures not sure about the face coverings but might be worth a look. 

Good luck!

Darryl 

Tamiya's Sdkfz 222 ( kit No. 286 with the DAK box art) has a figure sprue with three separate heads, one with a dust mask/bandana, and two types of goggles. The sprue is numbered X and says 35286 and A907795-00 and is Copyright 2007. I believe Tamiya sell individual sprues (or used to). You can see this sprue on the kit review at Perth Military Modelling at https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35286.html.

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Verlinden closed down a number of years ago after Francois passed away, a few retailers still have odd ones in stock but probably not many.

Yes, unfortunately you have to look for them on ebay and so forth-there's one set on ebay right now, but it's in the US, so shipping might be higher....

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I can't help directly but have you considered DIY? A long time ago I modified the old Tamiya Panzer II commander figure to create a similar scene. I took the goggles from an Italeri BMW motorcycle rider and fashioned a scarf from Milliput. I think I sanded his nose and jaw down a bit first. It was a fairly straightforward conversion job.

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanC said:

Hi Andy,

I can't help directly but have you considered DIY? A long time ago I modified the old Tamiya Panzer II commander figure to create a similar scene. I took the goggles from an Italeri BMW motorcycle rider and fashioned a scarf from Milliput. I think I sanded his nose and jaw down a bit first. It was a fairly straightforward conversion job.

Ian

This is definitely a skill to work on, in my experience. The limited choice of in-production figures means that it will be difficult to find that perfect figure for your model. Plus the fact that many of these figures are as expensive as the model kits themselves. 

@JackG -  good stuff, that's interesting hear that the range might be available once again. 

@ IanC - cheers, you've spurred me on to trying just that. Funnily enough, same kit / same figure. I didn't have any Milliput to hand, so tried using Humbrol filler. It actually worked ok. I've sanded the moulded-on goggles off the commander's cap and have found a spare pair from Tamiya's US Tank Crew set - yeah, they'll be historically inaccurate, but should look ok to casual observer. I'll post up a pic when done.

1 hour ago, fittedkitchens said:

@ IanC - cheers, you've spurred me on to trying just that. Funnily enough, same kit / same figure. I didn't have any Milliput to hand, so tried using Humbrol filler. It actually worked ok. I've sanded the moulded-on goggles off the commander's cap and have found a spare pair from Tamiya's US Tank Crew set - yeah, they'll be historically inaccurate, but should look ok to casual observer. I'll post up a pic when done.

Excellent! Look forward to seeing him. 😀