Canberra TT.18 wing pods

Kiwi Boy

Just doing a bit of research into a possible build of a 1/48 Canberra TT.18 but need a bit of help.

Can anyone identify the orange pod on the right wing of this TT.18?  I know this aircraft is a target tow platform and therefore has an aerial target pod on the opposite wing.

spacer.png

• Like 1

From https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/canberra/survivor.php?id=1181  It's a Shorts SD.2 Stiletto. A license built AQM-37

Built as a B.2 and awaiting collection on 26th June 1953, WH734 started her career with Flight Refuelling Ltd at Tarrant Rushton as a trials aircraft. She was converted to a tanker/receiver in May 1955, and later to a target tug fit but not the full TT.18 fit hence her unusual B(TT).2 designation. This was to carry the Shorts SD.2 Stiletto supersonic target drone (a licence built Beechcraft AQM-37 Jayhawk) on underwing pylons. She spent much of her ensuing career as a target launch aircraft operating out of RAE Llanbedr, and was retired in the early 2000s, being scrapped with the nose saved in 2004.

spacer.png

• Like 1

The exact designation of that specific airframe is of no concern to me as I'll likely be doing a different FRADU airframe still with the SD.2 target drone but thanks anyway

Edited by Kiwi Boy

5 hours ago, Kiwi Boy said:

The exact designation of that specific airframe is of no concern to me as I'll likely be doing a different FRADU airframe still with the SD.2 target drone but thanks anyway

I wasn't so concerned about the airframe, but identifying the drone that you asked about, that was the only photo I found identifying the drone while mounted on a Canberra of any type.  The caption may be incorrect.  I think the drone is a SD3 and not SD.2  But it was called Stiletto and it was made by Shorts. Farnborough's FAST Museum has one on display. Googling for Shorts Stilletto finds lots of photos of women's legs, but few of the drone. But searching for photos from the museum did turn up a few good photos.  And a story that it may be the cause of a currently unsolved airliner crash in the 60s.

P1050677.jpg

Stiletto Supersonic Target Drone

• Like 1