Tamiya McClaren MP4/8

First time at the bench for a few weeks Monday after all the hot weather etc. Made a start weeks ago and primed and painted bits, finally managed to assemble a few bits and get the engine looking something like. Will probably add some wiring and pipes for detail once the engine is mated to the chassis and get a bit of weathering done.

20220817_111952

• Like 9

After a much needed clean of the bench and mancave (or spare bedroom as the wife likes to call it) I've got the Zero paints white laid down on the bodywork. 

Hopefully mask and get the Marlboro red on tomorrow 😁

20220819_160254

• Like 4

Seeing as the wife went out for lunch with her friend I was left home alone, so after a lot of masking I got some more paint laid on today. Some semi gloss black and later some of the zero Marlboro red. Amazing how quick it has dried today, so I'm well pleased with how far I've got. Hopefully more tomorrow 😁

20220820_172019

• Like 3

Managed to get the 2k clear on this morning. Let it harden off properly and hopefully assemble the front suspension on to the tub tomorrow after work. 

20220821_131837

• Like 10

Looking good 👍  Is this the 1993 Mclaren Ford ? If so I still have vivid memories of Senna coming down the Craner Curves at Donington on THAT first lap . I was stood on the hillside before the bottom chicane . 

Gary.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Looking good 👍  Is this the 1993 Mclaren Ford ? If so I still have vivid memories of Senna coming down the Craner Curves at Donington on THAT first lap . I was stood on the hillside before the bottom chicane . 

Gary.  

It is indeed 

That livery for that race is what I'm going for, McClaren markings and some wet weather tyres from MFH. I remember the race well, unfortunately I was working away so had to watch  it on the TV. 

Ian 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Such a difference to the orange when the clear has been applied. That looks spot on colourwise now - keep up the good work.

I'll try my best mate, the red/orange certainly pops under the 2k though I must admit :)

Managed to get a little bit more done last night. As I had to apply the decal to the dash before fitting, I thought I'd finish the front wing off as well.  Had to borrow the Shell decal from an older kit as Tamiya don't supply them in the later black box kits, must be a license issue? 

20220824_045500

• Like 7

Managed to make some more progress this afternoon after I'd done what swmbo wanted doing in the garden. I'd already removed the horrible moulded in belts and added a set of mfh ones, carbon decalled the tub insides and flocked the steering wheel. Time for a nice cold beer now as its hotting up in the mancave 😁

20220827_181035

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really good and looks that nose cone fits well to main part. Not always the case.

Thanks

I must admit I test fitted and and fettled the cone, cover and body a fair few times until I was happy enough to paint them. It wasn't that good when I first tried them together

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to decal 1 side today after various issues with the rear wing masking and painting. I've also lost one of the white 8 decals for the wing which has pi**ed me off as it looks like getting another set of decals for 1 decal 🤨

20220904_210429

• Sad 2

Good progress after the weekend trials and tribulations, all that's left now is the mirrors, camera, screen and aerial. But seeing as I'd forgotten to paint them It'll have to be tomorrow before I finish it. 

20220905_192734

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That looks brilliant - love the wets!

Keith

Cheers Keith, had to be wets as its based on Sennas 93 European GP at Donington in the rain 

They do look different though 😁

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:07 PM, Windy37 said:

Gary.  

I was at Hollywood (between Craner and the exit of the first corner) at least we saw Andretti race !!! for half a lap.

• Like 2

Last little bits added tonight and a quick snap with the other Senna car I've already built. Didn't realise till I had finished that the lotus 97T was the car he got his first win in Portugal and the MP4/8 was the type he won his 41st and unfortunately his last, in Australia. Will do some better pics when the weather let's me 

20220906_202649

• Like 11