1/72 Biplane beginner - Martinsyde F4 Buzzard

So with the 100th Anniversary of the Irish Air Corps this year, thought I would try my hand at one of their very first aircraft...and my first attempt at a biplane. 

52280536682_34deb1c66f_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_Box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The Buzzard entered service with the Air Corps in the summer of 1922 and were the first aircraft and single seat fighter of the new force.

I'm building this one in-flight so first step was to add a pilot - this fella was from the spares, with his head cut and repositioned. You can't tell but there is a panel, rudder pedals and joystick in there!

52281783629_0217f93be0_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_Wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Lower wing and tail planes/rudder added. I've never built an AZ model before but it's going together fine - just taking my time as there are no locating pins or tabs.

52281530733_35bd729710_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_Wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The engine supplied is resin and looks the part but the instructions say you need to add the exhausts from rod or stretched sprue - i'll do those at the end.

52280536667_56b95c3e34_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_Wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then with the top cowling added - the fit here was a bit iffy and the plastic is very soft so some filling will be needed.

52281530853_2f058b5753_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_WIP_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More soon, thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 15

Looking great so far! I didn’t know AZ did something that early in history - looks like a nice kit.

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

I'm building this one in-flight

Yer’ll be retracting the wheels then…

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

So with the 100th Anniversary of the Irish Air Corps this year,

Eek I didn’t realize. Ok I have an SE5a, a DH4, a DH9 and a Lysander all in 1/48 in the stash earmarked for Air Corp liveries and at least one will be started forthwith. Now that I think of it I have a 90% complete Brisfit on the shelf of doom I’m Air Corp Color’s so maybe get that over the line first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John_W said:

I take it you are building  the aircraft that was on standby to get Michael Collins out of England if the peace negotiations failed?

Was that not a Martynsyde elephant. The Buzzard was a single seater, considered to be the best fighter of wwi but arrived too late to enter service in any numbers.

Nice work so far btw. I love the Buzzard.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Dermot

Do you have a jig to help get the top wing on or will you make yor own?
regards Toby

A jig? I think that's going to be beyond my modelling skills!

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking great so far! I didn’t know AZ did something that early in history - looks like a nice kit.

Yer’ll be retracting the wheels then…

Regards,

Adrian

You got it! 

10 hours ago, John_W said:

I take it you are building  the aircraft that was on standby to get Michael Collins out of England if the peace negotiations failed?

I think that was the Type A Mk.II - yes, a Buzzard but with a longer front fuselage to add a couple of extra seats for the passengers. 
I'm just going for the bog-standard single seat fighter...don't have the skills to modify it!

• Like 1

AZ does a buzzard!? I'm getting one!

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice work so far btw. I love the Buzzard

:ditto:

I remember having to write a 'project' about one of my interests when I was 8. I did a wholly thorough and representative docket of ww1 aircraft profiles containing the sopwith triplane, Bristol scout and f4 buzzard...

Looking forward to this build!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Believe it or not a cardboard box works well for this, failing that Lego is alwys good.

36-EB8-C1-E-6-C53-4-D39-B0-AA-F11759-D31

Don’t know if this is of any help. The Buzzard is the third one down. The big Fella is the one in the top. I think I’ll start up that SE5 sooner rather than later.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, appreciate all your comments !

I'm painting the markings on this one so first up is some Tamiya White.

52281783554_1846e0679e_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_WIP_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then masking for the national flags. The profile in Joe Maxwell's book "The Irish Air Corps: An Illustrated Guide" was really helpful for this. While the later Buzzard's were finished in silver dope, the early ones were in standard RAF Khaki Green scheme.

52287940255_4537c6492d_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_WIP_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Mostly happy with that!

52286476347_2c0c74b04c_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_WIP_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

On 18/08/2022 at 10:22, Dermo245 said:

Try The Kid on the Mountain, perfectly good jig, and with 5 parts long enough for you to do the rigging as well. Just hum it. Works for me.

Oh, probably not that sort of jig.................

Paul.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

While the later Buzzard's were finished in silver dope, the early ones were in standard RAF Khaki Green scheme.

I think with a lot of the Air Corp planes the first orders ( so to speak) were ex RAF machines and the latter ones were new factory finished. The Bristol fighters were the same early ones in PC10 later ones silver.

lovely build so far. You’ve also spurred me on to get my Brisfit back on the bench and I’m actually enjoying finishing it. So thanks for that.

I’m impressed with your spraying Tamiya white, I’ve resorted to white decal film on my build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Just went looking for Joe Maxwell's book, some eye watering prices the best being £35 plus shipping ( and probably duty) so I’ll be sticking with my ancient Scale Aircraft Modelling as my primary reference for the foreseeable  :)  

Strangely I’m building Irish Air Corps Bristol Fighter No VIII in 1/72 for the 100 Anniversary.  I think i’m Going to have to do overtime to get it ready for this time next month though..

Late PC10 / Clear dope and Battleship Grey for me.

Are you taking it in tomorrow @Dermo245?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I’m building Irish Air Corps Bristol Fighter No VIII in 1/72 for the 100 Anniversary

My initial intent was to build that one too, but once I discovered the silver scheme  jumped ship as I have way too many PC10 models on the shelf already.

Should we ask @Enzo Matrix for an impromptu Air Corp GB for the three of us :) (and hopefully many others) I mean 100 years is a significant event. 

Edited by Marklo

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Should we ask @Enzo Matrix for an impromptu Air Corp GB for the three of us :) (and hopefully many others) I mean 100 years is a significant event. 

Given the demand for GBs here on the forum, I think that's a bit of a moon shot to be honest - we should have proposed it a couple of years ago! :facepalm:

Nothing to stop anyone starting an Irish build and aiming to finish it before the year is out I suppose.

Anyway, back to the build. More paint on and happy with how this is going - some tidy-ups needed here and there.

52298792189_613b1358e6_b.jpgAZ_Martinsyde_F4_WIP_78 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all and here's the latest on the Buzzard.

Glossed up and struts added. The kit instructions have a 1/72 side profile in them so that helped with getting the angle of the struts right - I just tacked on some plasticard with white glue.

The struts in front of the pilot appear to be different lengths but are all the same part numbers...something not right there so fingers crossed they work.

52321324366_0e05e825df_b.jpg

Yes, I could have made new struts from card or something but just trying to keep going with this one or I'll lose interest.

And with the top wing added. The fit was ok-ish and while it's fine from the front, it's ever so slightly skewed when viewed from above. Oh well, every day is a school day.

52321745309_20c1bcd6d0_b.jpg

On to the dark arts of rigging next ! 😬

Cheers,
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 8