Another "Maximum Effort" Eagle - 91-0326 "Ravage"

This is another Academy F-15E (from the "Seymour Johnson" boxing):

20220817_184327

As the Two Bobs decal sheet  see my Lady Liberty thread has identities for fifteen aircraft and full stencils for two airframes, it seems a shame to waste them.

Here is "Ravage" returning to Lakenheath after 4 months somewhere in the Middle East

Luckily I still have an Eduard detail etch set left (they appear to be discontinued now) so the next step is the cockpit.

Mike

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress was made earlier this week.

The cockpit is almost complete:

20220827_081951

The two instrument panels are just resting in position as those nice etched pedals will need removing as aircraft will be built with crew on board.  Seats are just the kit plastic but I'm sure there are some spare etched handles etc that can be fitted.

Rather than spend silly money on a set of resin exhausts I've used the kit ones but enhanced with etch:

20220827_082445

The kit offering is on the left and looks reasonable compared to "Lady Liberty's" resin can on the right.  There are 45 PE parts for each exhaust, so far only 30 have been fitted - a tedious job but much better than chunky plastic actuators.

The kit exhaust can only be built in the closed position, so the crew will be running through some pre-flight checks - an excuse to have the airbrake open and show off the nice etch that goes inside.

Not much has been done to "Lady Liberty"; whilst starting to mask the front windshield I found out that the "Looks Like Glass" was still tacky (after over a week) so it had to be stripped back and re-polished.  Guess I might as well remove the seams from "Ravage's" canopies and coat all three parts at the same time.

Mike

• Like 7

Most of the airframe is now complete and seams dressed:

20220907_143157

Landing gear painted and CFT rails modified - these came from the "Striking Eagles" boxing and only have mounting points for two AIM-7 on the CFT rail, so a little bit of filling of the unwanted points and positioning two new ones near the rear was needed:

20220907_142707

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some modifications to the nose gear area:

20220915_160129

All moulded antennae removed; the rear one to be replaced by a longer version (which is part of the kit) and the forward one moved back and to be replaced by a longer slanted version (which is on the etch in the Striking Eagles boxing).

Both kits instructions have the nosewheel door open; a simple matter to glue some supports inside the well for it to rest on (shame about the etched detail that now can't be seen 🥲).  Also the door needs shortening so that it doesn't foul the front strut.  Both sets of modifications also made to "Lady Liberty".

I've also realised that the Sniper Pod that was in the Seymour Johnson boxing had been used on another kit, so some Eduard Brassin replacements arrived this week.

One final issue is still to be resolved - I've run out of the stays which hold the weapons (parts K15, K23 to clarify) as they have all been "borrowed" to use on "Lady Liberty" and the previously built "Nowhere To Hide" as that boxing doesn't include them.

Mike

• Like 1

• FortyEighter changed the title to Another "Maximum Effort" Eagle - 91-0326 "Ravage"

This one would have failed the original GB finish but might stand a chance of getting there this week:

20221031_145135

The top surface is fully decalled and I have started the sides, though the underside still needs a coat of gloss.

Exhausts, weapons and antennae are all finished and ready to fit, so just the fuel tanks to paint now.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I feel bad that people have had to rush at the end phase, I wish that weren't so. 

The trouble with GB finishing dates is that sometimes other aspects of life apart from modelling get in the way🤣

• Like 1