Eduard`s new F4F-3 Wildcat in 1:48

Hi all,

just completed Eduards new F4F-3 Wildcat in 1:48. Add some Brassin parts (cockpit, gun barrels, wheels and exhausts) and the Bronzin legs. It is just a fun-kit - hope you like it!

comp-F4-F-1.jpg

comp-F4-F-5.jpg

comp-F4-F-7.jpg

comp-F4-F-3.jpg

comp-F4-F-4.jpg

comp-F4-F-52.jpg

comp-F4-F-10n.jpg

comp-F4-F-17.jpg

comp-F4-F-13.jpg

comp-F4-F-8.jpg

comp-F4-F-20.jpg

comp-F4-F-40.jpg

comp-F4-F-51.jpg

comp-F4-F-41.jpg

comp-F4-F-42.jpg

comp-F4-F-46.jpg

comp-F4-F-50.jpg

comp-F4-F-54.jpg

comp-F4-F-55.jpg

comp-F4-F-2.jpg

• Like 53
  • Thanks 5

Took you long enough! The model's been out for a whole week already! 🤣

Seriously though, I'm sure you know, really impressive detailing and wear. Looks like Eduard have done a great job on the detail and panel work, but your painting has really created a great overlapping panel look; am I correct in thinking those panels alongside the cockpit are just normal panel lines with raised rivet detail?

Fantastic overall, I really like the effect of the small 'splatter' dots.

Cracking build!👍:yikes: I love the old national insignias on it, the USA would very soon remove the red from the centre because the Japanese were using the red sun markings on their aircraft. This happened across all the flying services of the USA, including the USAAC, USAAF, US Navy and USMC.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:01 PM, Markh-75 said:

I love the old national insignias on it, the USA would very soon remove the red from the centre because the Japanese were using the red sun markings on their aircraft. This happened across all the flying services of the USA, including the USAAC, USAAF, US Navy and USMC.

...and even the Civil Air Patrol.  The CAP emblem was a blue disc with a white equilateral triangle on it, and a red three-bladed prop arrayed on the triangle.  As the services deleted the red dot in their insignia, the CAP (which was part of the Office of Civil Defence and had just been created) similarly deleted the red prop part of the emblem.

8 hours ago, jimmaas said:

...and even the Civil Air Patrol.  The CAP emblem was a blue disc with a white equilateral triangle on it, and a red three-bladed prop arrayed on the triangle.  As the services deleted the red dot in their insignia, the CAP (which was part of the Office of Civil Defence and had just been created) similarly deleted the red prop part of the emblem.

Thank you, I wasnt aware of that! I stand corrected!😀

19 hours ago, FAAFAN said:

Great job!!!!!  Love the 2 tone weathering on the wing. What's your technique?

I used some oilcolors, AK pencils, chipping and a postschding with black and brown

On 17/08/2022 at 21:32, Ad-4N said:

What sorcery do you use to weather your Wildcats?

On 18/08/2022 at 16:31, FAAFAN said:

Love the 2 tone weathering on the wing. What's your technique?

5 hours ago, Rob Maynard said:

superb weathered effects,

Sorry to mellow the enthusiasm about weathering by citing Lt. James S. Gray, CO of Fighting Six who commented on 3 June 1942 (source: Lundstrom, The First Team) -

'No dirty airplanes ever flew from Enterprise in these days. Plane captains took pride in keeping their aircraft gleaming and sleek. Many bought wax with their own money to outdo the others.'

I guess, when looking at contemporary pictures, that was basically the practice on all US carriers during this period. The Navy was an immaculate outfit. You would rather find worn Wildcats in Marines service on Guadalcanal where their was no time and no facilities.

Impressive model nevertheless! And great photography.

Michael

10 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Sorry to mellow the enthusiasm about weathering by citing Lt. James S. Gray, CO of Fighting Six who commented on 3 June 1942 (source: Lundstrom, The First Team) -

'No dirty airplanes ever flew from Enterprise in these days. Plane captains took pride in keeping their aircraft gleaming and sleek. Many bought wax with their own money to outdo the others.'

I guess, when looking at contemporary pictures, that was basically the practice on all US carriers during this period. The Navy was an immaculate outfit. You would rather find worn Wildcats in Marines service on Guadalcanal where their was no time and no facilities.

Michael

I totally agree, and no shoulder straps on an early F4F-3!

On 8/19/2022 at 7:53 AM, Toryu said:

Michael

Perhaps, but these hardly looked waxed and ultra-clean:

Grumman_F4F-3_Wildcats_of_VF-3_in_flight

Grumman-F4F-3-Wildcat-VF-5-in-flight-Feb

And these are reportedly flying from a land base and not subject the rigors of deployment or the intense tempo of combat operation.

Weathering is pretty subjective and naturally open to different preferences, but I rather doubt that every aircraft was immaculate. :)

Beautiful build Mathy!

Best,

Nick

• Like 1