HMS Glamorgan at the Falklands

Gidday All, Earlier this year for the Falklands 40th Anniversary GB I commenced a model of HMS Glamorgan, converting an Airfix HMS Devonshire kit to do so. But as the GB is now well and truly over I've decided to continue the build here. But firstly I wish to say a big THANK YOU to @Enzo Matrix for running the Group Build.

I won't repeat the trials and tribulations of the build to date, the build thread up to this point is below if you wish to see it:-

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108448-hms-glamorgan/

Here is the state of the model now.

GLM340 progress 5

With the exception of the turret and the large Type 901 radar mounted at the rear of the aft superstructure everything on the model is now fixed. About the only items I haven't modified or replaced are the rudders, the Exocet tubes, the whaleboat and that small radar scanner next to it. I scratch built the entire forward superstructure (except the fwd funnel) and modified the aft superstructure. On the wood block in the foreground I modified the three launches and davits (there's eight in total) and I scratch built everything else - the Exocet blast deflectors, bridge wings, foremast, double bedstead radar, SCOT domes, the gunnery and Seacat directors, the screws and quite a bit of extra stuff already on the model.

I've still got to make the two 20mm Oerlikons, two Seacat launchers, two Corvus chaff chuckers, bollards and fairleads, the Seaslug launcher, finish the masts and busy her up a bit. Still quite a bit to do.

So that's it for now. Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 17

Gidday All, HMS Glamorgan now has her davits and boats fitted.

GLM350 boats fitted

I had to modify the davits quite a bit from what the kit provided and they look a bit tall but I think they're reasonably accurate in that respect. I think the boats are mounted a little too low which makes the davits look tall. I added skids to the davits for the boats to sit on but obviously they weren't high enough. The boat hulls are kit but I replaced the cabins on the launches, a bit crudely as you can see. From photos I've seen it appears that the second boat on the port side had a red hull, all other boats had hulls the same colour as the Glamorous Organ herself. On this occasion I used PVA glue instead of styrene cement to attach the boats to the skids on the davits.

On the upper deck next to the hangar are the two 5-blade screws I made. No flash or sink holes! 🙂 They're ready to fit now but I'll wait until the model comes off her building block. I made the blades from 2.5mm wide styrene strip. I'm thinking now maybe 2mm strip might have been better with less blade overlap but as I haven't seen any photos of the actual screws I didn't have a lot to go on. I don't know the diameter of the actual screws but these are 5mm across, which equates to 10 feet or 3 metres. But at least I've got both left- and right-turning screws. I've just got to make sure I get each onto the correct side. 🙂

Well, that's it for now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 8

Greetings Arnold,

I am currently scratch building Devonshire as-built from own plans at 1:150.  She reflects the differences between the first two ships of the class and the later ships but I have not been able to ascertain the number of propellor blades. There is one plan supplier showing 4 blades and you have built to 5. Do you have a definitive source for reference please?  Thanks, Rod.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod Davies said:

There is one plan supplier showing 4 blades and you have built to 5. Do you have a definitive source for reference please?

Gidday Rod, I don't think I can prove they had 5 blades but a number of sources led me to that conclusion. Another modeler @AntPhillips gave me a link to an Atlantic models AM set that showed 5 blades, plus models at a local show of similar (admittedly not County class) ships and discussions with them also said 5 blades. And to cap it off a former crewman @chuckb1 confirmed 5 blades. I've been unable to find photos of any of the ships showing the screws (prior or launch, drydock etc) however. This would prove without a doubt.

I'll admit that working off other models (including mine) is not proof, neither are drawings (unless builder's plans I suppose). I haven't attached mine yet so if you have any other info please feel free to add to this thread.     HTH.      And thanks for your interest.     Regards, Jeff.

Many thanks Jeff. Clearly we have both been frustrated in the search.  I think I have exhausted all the usual options unless there is another contributor who knows.  Usually I would accept past crew members' information as gospel even conscious I of my own failing memory of ships I served in.   I already have a jig made up for five bladed props for Type12 and Leanders so I am now tempted to just go with that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 11:52 PM, Rod Davies said:

Greetings Arnold,

I am currently scratch building Devonshire as-built from own plans at 1:150.  She reflects the differences between the first two ships of the class and the later ships but I have not been able to ascertain the number of propellor blades. There is one plan supplier showing 4 blades and you have built to 5. Do you have a definitive source for reference please?  Thanks, Rod.  

Hi Rod and Arnold, I can definitely remember when we were in dry dock five blades on the screws, now if I remember rightly they were on the dock bottom during the AMP. I do remember 5. also Fife and Antrim had the same. My oppo was on Fife and after we came out of AMP she was next. Antrim was sold on before both Glam and Fife. I have the Atlantic kit, was bought for me by the family, I contacted Atlantic as I want to do her in her final form with the twin Oerlikons on the half deck, and the 40/60s in place of the Sea Cat. Had a long conversation with the main man at Atlantic. Now if I remember rightly the five blade ones were done to optimise max revs and also be quieter cavitation wise will ask the lads on the County Class FB group, there are a fair few Stokers and Tiffys on there from her final years. 

• Thanks 1

Gidday Chuck, thanks for getting back to us on that. As I said earlier your confirmation of the number of blades was the clincher, and the fact that you've actually seen them .   .   . 👍

I'll definitely go with those I've made. As for their actual size, hopefully I'm close enough. Once again, thanks for your help. The build has slowed down a bit but not stopped. I took a few days off last week-end to take part in the blitz build. The other night I made most of the fairleads and hope to fit them and the bollards soon.       Regards, Jeff.

Gidday @Herkybird, well that certainly clinches the case 👍. @Rod Davies will no doubt appreciate this photo too, so many thanks from both of us. My blades are a little out shape-wise but I think I'll live with them. Again, much appreciated. Regards, Jeff.

PS - the photo also shows the angle between the shaft struts (legs). I think I came very close. 🙂

• Like 1

Gidday All, here's another quick update of HMS Glamorgan showing a little progress, to indicate the build is still on the go, albeit slowly.

GLM360 bollards & fairleads fitted

I've added the bollards and fairleads. Well, most of them. Despite a number of photos I have that clearly show a fairlead abaft the bollards near that door hatch at the side of the forward superstructure I managed to omit it (on both sides of the ship). So in the small pegs on the block of wood you can see another two being made. In the other pegs are assorted items that will be mounted on the quarterdeck. They just need another coat of paint or two. Behind the ship in that round clear container are the other bits I've made, but you've already seen them in earlier posts.

Soon I'm going to have to give some thought as to how I'm going to make the Seaslug and Seacat launchers. I'm not looking forward to that. Oh well .   .   .

Again, thank you all for your comments, responses and help with this build. Stay safe, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday All, here's another update on HMS Glamorgan to show the build is still progressing (feebly). I've been giving some thought as to how I'm going to make the Seaslug launcher, which as far as I know was a twin launcher. The kit supplies a launcher that is basically a box, not the jumble of rails that it looks like (to me, anyway. 🙂).

In the past I've been able to heat and stretch 2.0mm styrene rod down to 0.1mm but that's too thin to use, the glue melts it. The thinnest Evergreen strips I have and seen in my LHS are 0.25x0.5mm and 0.25x0.75mm. I've split some down the middle to obtain strips 0.25mm square and 0.25x0.37mm, and these are what I've used, plus some wider strips.

GLM390 Seaslug launcher 3

The top two frames are the sides and the lower frame is the centre piece. Since the photo was taken I've added diagonals to the top two frames and centre-line rails either side to the inner frame. I've also started to add pieces that act as spacers and joiners. Total part count at present stands at 54 individual pieces. The length of the frames is 15mm and they're about 3mm deep. How accurate it'll be is questionable but I'm hoping that when done it'll pass a very quick glance. For those that are very familiar with the launcher please just grin and bear it. Thanks. I think they'll be better than the kit offering though and as the design of the ship was primarily as a platform for this missile system I've got to try something. Of course, it would have been easier for me if the RN skipped Seaslug and went straight to Sea Dart. Easier and simpler to make. Oh well  .   .   .

Anyway, I hope to have them done in a couple of days. Assuming it works of course. So thank you for your interest. Stay safe, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 7

Very good work on Glamorgan Jeff. That launcher looks to be a work of art from this side of the screen, and incredibly delicate. I certainly admire your skills with this.

All the best, Ray

• Thanks 1

Gidday guys, and thanks for the comments. For better or worse here's the Seaslug launcher done. I used the kit supporting piece ( the grey bit) plus added a base ring. It's just dry fitted at present. It's rather rough but I'm not game to try to tidy it up in case I break it. The rail assembly comprises of 60 pieces and I REALLY don't want to have to make another.

GLM400 Seaslug launcher done

I've taken a liberty (call it modeler's license) regarding the placement of the rails, braces etc. but it's about the best I can do. The overall length of it is 15mm. I thought it sat a bit high so I chopped off 1mm of each of the supporting arms of the grey kit part. Getting the inside painted is going to be fun - I use the hairy stick. As usual close-up photos show warts and all. Hopefully when viewed as a whole and from a distance it won't look so bad.

Anyway, stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Rich75 said:

didn't you say photoetch looked a bit fiddly....:drunk:!

Gidday Rich, yeah, I did. 🙂 And compared to this I think it still is. The thinnest pieces I've used here are 0.25mm square which still looks over-scale but it's about the thinnest I can work with. I've used stretched sprue down to about 0.2mm diameter but that's the limit for me.

I paint with the hairy stick so I don't know how the very thin photoetch would cope with that.

But thank you all for the compliments.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:05 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I've taken a liberty (call it modeler's license) regarding the placement of the rails, braces etc. but it's about the best I can do.

Well, no-one can deny that it's a whole lot more realistic than what Airfix provided.  Congratulations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gidday, thanks @Seahawk. Here's my Seacat launchers. I've taken the easy way out and made them with weather protection covers on them, which I've seen in some photos. I've used 1mm square-section styrene for the covers because the missile wings under the covers give it that shape (sort of).

GLM410 Seacat launchers

The overall height of the launchers from deck level to the top of the centre probe is 7mm. Yeah, I know, they're a bit rough. 🙂 I should have included the kit parts in the photo. They were small thin rectangles of plastic with a pimple at each corner.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 6