LCI-1 Class Landing Craft Infantry (Large) 1/350 scale from Black Cat Models.

And here I am firmly back in my comfort zone.:penguin:

I'm not saying my foray into the world of card/paper models was not rewarding, interesting or fun, it was all of these things. It was just that I was getting SO frustrated with how the instructions flitted about and left out fairly important steps, that if I didn't stop when I did, I'd probably do something I'd regret. 

So, I've walked away from it for a while. I'll definitely go back to it, but not just yet.

Anyway, what do we have here ?

It's one of Black Cat Models superb kits,https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/

In this instance it is a 3D printed rendition of an Infantry Landing Craft.

I'm going to do her as......HMC LCI(L)-299 when she had left the control of the Royal Navy and became part of the Canadian Navy, this is a link to her history.....

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/150299.htm

And here she is on the 6th June 1944

p?i=6bc3f70c2bb2a9631bbfb656d02faa85

p?i=b2deb02129f33cbf46d148cf9c8bf353

So off we jolly well go.

First the box then the parts.

p?i=233969dd0ca03f9c1e6c550a66cffaf0

p?i=b4f581b32b6750bed1fc8cbffdbd2c1f

p?i=f74795de4cb8910989ec0d8194311ab1

p?i=cfee2ef7661355bd4639c06625ee8d83

So far, I've fixed the screws and rudders ready for painting.

p?i=1099aedbccafd25c52d672356cac520b

And given the hull a coat of primer.

p?i=6f84a5c77e1ac4d94c7beed70ed57586

Next step will be to spray on the camo pattern and probably the deck colour.

It wasn't until I started this lovely little model, that I realised how I'd forgotten just how GOOD :worthy: Black Cat Models are.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

But it's an iron ship without sails. 😪

And lots of tiny tiny details too small for me. I must admit that it's an interesting choice of subject though. I'll follow along as (if I was) normal.

Yup, no rigging, well maybe a few aerial wires and signal halyards.

The parts aren’t small, I have a VERY powerful magnifying lamp.

I’m thinking I might get one of BCM tank landing craft and do a beach landing diorama.

Jon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Yup, no rigging, well maybe a few aerial wires and signal halyards.

The parts aren’t small, I have a VERY powerful magnifying lamp.

I’m thinking I might get one of BCM tank landing craft and do a beach landing diorama.

Jon

1/350 is too small for me mate. Actually it's not the tiny details that put me off but the smallness of the scale. I just can't imagine the people somehow, so it just feels like a machine. Does that make sense? I'm not clear myself! 😄

• Like 1

Oh I've wondered if anyone ever did a model of one of these.  My father dropped into Salerno and again into France on one but his unit history that has photographs of them have confusing captions and perhaps you experts can resolve please?  One photo shows an LCI(L) at Salerno number 299 and it appears again in a photo of Juno beach on D Day after being repaired, apparently.  Another photo of the same day shows what is described as an LCI(S) on D Day unloading the RM 41 commandos with one poor chap falling into the water right on cue.

So two questions really - is the LCS(L) really a typo and should be described as an LCI(I) and what is the difference between the two types - an LCI(I) or (L)  and LCI(S)?  The photos are not really good enough to see.  The D Day ones have a partial bow shot in one and a head on shot in the other while the Salerno photo  is another bow on shot.

I do fancy getting one of these and to build it for Dad even if he is long gone now.

TIA as always

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Oh I've wondered if anyone ever did a model of one of these.  My father dropped into Salerno and again into France on one but his unit history that has photographs of them have confusing captions and perhaps you experts can resolve please?  One photo shows an LCI(L) at Salerno number 299 and it appears again in a photo of Juno beach on D Day after being repaired, apparently.  Another photo of the same day shows what is described as an LCI(S) on D Day unloading the RM 41 commandos with one poor chap falling into the water right on cue.

So two questions really - is the LCS(L) really a typo and should be described as an LCI(I) and what is the difference between the two types - an LCI(I) or (L)  and LCI(S)?  The photos are not really good enough to see.  The D Day ones have a partial bow shot in one and a head on shot in the other while the Salerno photo  is another bow on shot.

I do fancy getting one of these and to build it for Dad even if he is long gone now.

TIA as always

John

Hi as far as I know LCI would be landing craft infantry LCS would be landing craft support I think the (s) or (L) would denote small or large, hth, and defo take one on to remember your Dad, mine was at Dunkirk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

TIA as always

John

I’m guessing you’ve seen this ?

Jon

• Like 2

Two coats of paint today, first Colourcoats C03p?i=4547fea27e7e97c359ac34596918b822

Followed a couple of hours later with Colourcoats NARN29 (MS2)

p?i=58dfff449d1177597a57e84c1d2077b3

My thinking here, is that it is far easier to mask the deck when painting the camo colour, NARN37 (B30).

So, tomorrow I'll mask the deck and part of the hull and apply the camo, once that is dry, I'll apply the red antifoul NARN42.

Plus I've put the mast together, bit of soldering and a bit of gluing. Small Nav Light on there front and the ships Bell on the back.

p?i=0f11d2fecc34d64daa9367b7abef9b0b

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Not tiny at all that. You could have drilled holes, threaded them, and bolted it together. 😉

It looks very tidy. 

D’you not think I should add a cord to the bell clapper ? Just in the interests of realism you understand.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Faraway said:

D’you not think I should add a cord to the bell clapper ? Just in the interests of realism you understand.

Jon

Don't be daft, just polishing the bell and engraving the ship's name will be more than adequate. 😉

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Faraway said:

7 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

just polishing the bell and engraving the ship's name will be more than adequate. 

Gidday, if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.       Do both! 😁     Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

NARN37 (B30) 

p?i=42eb846e12894df2379a01d36122b5b2

Looking good.  Have you done anything with the print lines on the side of the hull as they look a lot less obvious that they did when you just had the hull in primer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johndon said:

Looking good.  Have you done anything with the print lines on the side of the hull as they look a lot less obvious that they did when you just had the hull in primer?

I’ve not, they looked worse in the photo, and the paint seems to be covering them.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:07 PM, Rich75 said:

Hi as far as I know LCI would be landing craft infantry LCS would be landing craft support I think the (s) or (L) would denote small or large, hth, and defo take one on to remember your Dad, mine was at Dunkirk

On 8/17/2022 at 8:43 PM, JohnT said:

TIA as always

John

Oh yes, I’ll be making one of these as LCI(L)316, dad’s berth for operation Brassard, liberation of Elba.

• Like 3

On 17/08/2022 at 22:18, Faraway said:

I’m guessing you’ve seen this ?

Jon

Oh thanks for that and no I hadn't.  I pulled the book about 41 RM off the shelf again and looked at the caption for the photo and its misleading.  It says 299 was one of two LCI's that took 41 RM to Salerno boarding the Seaforth Highlanders.   Reading on the photo shows not Salerno but its for the Sicily Landing earlier.

The photo taken on 6 June 44 has the caption "299" repaired after Salerno, back in business on D Day, on Juno beach at Bernieres"  IWM 123938.   I had assumed it showed 41 RM but the caption does not say that so i am guessing its included as showing a typical beach shot.  41 RM were tasked with heading for and through Lion-sur-Mer just along the coast from Bernieres 

So 2 photos of 299 but neither for her trip to Salerno with 41 RM - 

Some of the photos in the book showing LCIs are almost the same as the ones on the site and clearly come from the same camera but perspective and human beings in shot have moved slightly.  Fascinating stuff  - thanks.

Watching the build here with great interest :popcorn:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

There are a couple of crew photos here.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/150316.htm

Jon

Hi Jon, seen those and sadly dad’s not among those photos. Only aboard for that op, maybe just for a week or so. Interestingly enough (or maybe only to me) the craft immediately behind dad’s going into the landing zone was commanded by Alec Guinness.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Al Blyth said:

Hi Jon, seen those and sadly dad’s not among those photos. Only aboard for that op, maybe just for a week or so. Interestingly enough (or maybe only to me) the craft immediately behind dad’s going into the landing zone was commanded by Alec Guinness.

Hi Al

Aye just had a re-read of my Dads unit history more carefully and edited my post above.  Like your Dad mine is not in the photos either. There is a chance he was on her for Salerno.  While he was on the Sicily and D Day landings too it wasn't on 299.  He did Walcheren Island landings in a Buffalo.  The Alec Guinness connection is interesting.  Must look that up as I didn't know he was there.  Dad had an officer who was the brother of John "Cats Eyes" Cunningham - the nightfighter ace.  

I am going to have a bash at one of these but will absorb all the build techniques and tips.  Every day a school day and something new to learn

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Hi Al

Aye just had a re-read of my Dads unit history more carefully and edited my post above.  Like your Dad mine is not in the photos either. There is a chance he was on her for Salerno.  While he was on the Sicily and D Day landings too it wasn't on 299.  He did Walcheren Island landings in a Buffalo.  The Alec Guinness connection is interesting.  Must look that up as I didn't know he was there.  Dad had an officer who was the brother of John "Cats Eyes" Cunningham - the nightfighter ace.  

I am going to have a bash at one of these but will absorb all the build techniques and tips.  Every day a school day and something new to learn

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Hi Al