Need some recommendations for a 1/700 warship

Hello everyone,

Need some opinions or recommendations.

I hope I can explain myself, I'm not native english so I'll try my best.

I don't know much about warships, my modelling experience started with 1/24 cars, then did some AFV mainly tanks, and lately have been doing ww2 planes. Now I want to do some warships.

I have done a couple of things in this area:

- 1/700 Trumpeter German Zerstörer Z-43. This kit is just too small in size 16cm (not scale) for my liking, didn't have much detail and with zero knowledge about warships I didn't know how to improve it without going for aftermarket parts.

- 1/144 ICM U-Boat Type IIB (1943) - I built this kit and placed it in a clear resin diorama sunken and rotting. I used this as an experiment using resin and didn't make much effort in the sub itself.

Looking for a nicely detailed OOB kit scale 1/700 Water line series with approx. 30cm length.

The idea is to have an easy straightforward build that is mostly correct in scale, with nice detail in order to just build, paint and weather. Maybe I would add some PE like relings or barrels.

Some kits I have looked up are:

Tamiya - Scharnhorst

Trumpeter - HMS Renown (1945)

Hasegawa - USS South Dakota

I would like opinions if they are worth it or if there are other better options. btw. My budget for the kit is about 25€.

Thanks in advance

Hopefully you got some folks who have built these kits,but you can also Google these kits for build reviews and build blogs which can be helpful also

1 hour ago, Tojo72 said:

Hopefully you got some folks who have built these kits,but you can also Google these kits for build reviews and build blogs which can be helpful also

Well yeah thanks but don't think I haven't googled yet or even watched Youtube videos. Thing ist that for these kits I haven't found much build logs and those I have found didn't answer my questions or clear my concerns.

For this reason I posted here because maybe someone who knows these kits can directly tell me stay away, there is a better option or give me a hint to other kits which are better.

I do somewhat feel that I might be going for Tamiya because it's almost always a warranty for good quality and fitting. I also didn't like the Trumpeter instruction sheet and color guide from my German Zerstörer.

The Hasegawa kit looks a bit dull and I have no references for Hasegawa warship kits.

Anyway, if someone comes up and gives me more info I will appreciate it.

30cm would be a 700ft / 210m long warship which is rather large.

If you are thinking of adding aftermarket to your budget, may I suggest you investigate Flyhawk kits, expand the budget for the kit and forget about the aftermarket as you won't need it.

Flyhawk is making the best injection moulded 1/700 ship kits on the market and they are very complete. Even their injection moulded gun barrels are better than some aftermarket brass barrels. They're lovely kits. Give them a look :) The paint guides for the British warships are generally good - because @dickrd and myself have guided their recent ones. @iang has likewise helped greatly with their Illustrious class aircraft carrier releases with us. HMS Hood didn't have direct input from us but Frank Allen who runs the H.M.S. Hood Association website and with whom Richard and I are acquainted guided that one so it's good too.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

If you are thinking of adding aftermarket to your budget, may I suggest you investigate Flyhawk kits, expand the budget for the kit and forget about the aftermarket as you won't need it.

Flyhawk is making the best injection moulded 1/700 ship kits on the market and they are very complete. Even their injection moulded gun barrels are better than some aftermarket brass barrels. They're lovely kits. Give them a look :) The paint guides for the British warships are generally good - because @dickrd and myself have guided their recent ones. @iang has likewise helped greatly with their Illustrious class aircraft carrier releases with us. HMS Hood didn't have direct input from us but Frank Allen who runs the H.M.S. Hood Association website and with whom Richard and I are acquainted guided that one so it's good too.

Thank you very much, haven't looked at the Flyhawk brand at all because they are a bit pricey but you have a point there, maybe it's worth to invest a bit more and forget the hassle with aftermarket parts. 

btw. Is Pitroad the same as Flyhawk? or do they have something to do with each other?

4 hours ago, ZonaModelista said:

btw. Is Pitroad the same as Flyhawk? or do they have something to do with each other?

I understand they are separate but that they have collaborated on certain kits. I'm not sure there have been Skywave Pit-Road boxings of the newer Flyhawk kits though. 

15 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Flyhawk is making the best injection moulded 1/700 ship kits on the market and they are very complete. Even their injection moulded gun barrels are better than some aftermarket brass barrels. They're lovely kits. Give them a look :) +++

1/700?

Waterline?

210m ship?

Flyhawk mentioned?

no personal preferences?

Go for a Flyhawk SMS Lützow of some kind!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Lützow

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/flyhawk-model-fh1301s-sms-luetzow-1916--938552

(I have one in the stash and would love to see somebody go ahead and do all the research 😇 :laugh: )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

1/700?

Waterline?

210m ship?

Flyhawk mentioned?

no personal preferences?

Go for a Flyhawk SMS Lützow of some kind!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Lützow

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/flyhawk-model-fh1301s-sms-luetzow-1916--938552

(I have one in the stash and would love to see somebody go ahead and do all the research 😇 :laugh: )

Thanks for your opinion, very interesting recommendation.

I like the idea but I can't find it in my usual online hobby stores. 

How about the standard version instead of the limited edition? Is there much difference?

Or do you know if the Takom model Derfflinger is a good alternative ?

I have not opened the box of the special edition yet (bought additional wooden deck and brass gun barrels), but bought the Takom "full hull" afterwards (unsealed box) and I like the look of the parts. Instructions could be a bit more "elaborate" on the paint scheme.

To me it has to be the SMS Lützow, and the Torpedoboot isn't all bad, unfortunately it is unknown which one of the torpedoboats gave my grandfather a ride so he didn't have to swim all the way home.

There is an unboxing video of the "regular" version online it looks "pretty good" to me:

and there are intimidating results by other modellers (I hate it):

https://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=63548.0

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/sms/Lutzow-700-whl/index.htm

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4562:schlachtkreuzer-sms-luetzow-zerstoerer-g-37-und-g-38-1700-flyhawk-von-reiner-voegel&catid=250

Derfflinger:

https://www.plastikamateria.de/modellbau/gallery/sms-derfflinger-von-flyhawk-1-700/

• Like 1

OK, after checking several reviews of most of the considered options I will go for the Flyhawk Lützow in standard or regular version. 

Thanks for the help. I usually don't make a lot of pictures with my builds but will try to remember and post them in the corresponding subtopic.

• Like 2

Gidday @ZonaModelista, I've had very little experience with 1/700 ships, I much prefer the 1/600 scale, so I wasn't able to offer any meaningful advice to you here. Sorry. But I think these were beautiful ships and tough into the bargain. I'd like to do one some day so I'll be very interested in following your build when you start it.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZonaModelista said:

OK, after checking several reviews of most of the considered options I will go for the Flyhawk Lützow in standard or regular version. 

Thanks for the help. I usually don't make a lot of pictures with my builds but will try to remember and post them in the corresponding subtopic.

I keep my fingers crossed you will find a good offer on Derfflinger (longer history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Derfflinger ) or Lützow and have a happy build time and a stunning result. 👍

If this happens I will accept full responsibility and maybe even share part of the credit with Jamie.

If it doesn't turn out well, I'll help you to determine your and Jamie's mistakes and do better next time B)

• Haha 3