Tamiya 1/48 FB.VI Mosquito, 464 Squadron (RAAF) 2TAF, RAF Thorney Island - October 1944

Another fine Tamiya mossie. I like the weathering. It looks exactly like the weathering I  saw on a real Mosquito which I  came across in a hangar a few years ago.

I suppose I really should tick that particular kit off my bucket  list too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Another fine Tamiya mossie. I like the weathering. It looks exactly like the weathering I  saw on a real Mosquito which I  came across in a hangar a few years ago.

I suppose I really should tick that particular kit off my bucket  list too.

Thanks Noel. It's a large canvas to get the weathering on to. Nice to hear that I came close!

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice build. I'm not really fond of weathering but your work is clearly professional grade.

Thanks though definitely no professional at this gig, it's just a hobby for me.

I'm the other way around; I prefer to see a model representative of it's service career. A Greek HAF A-7 or F-16 is at the top of my list!

• Like 1

• Mick Drover changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 FB.VI Mosquito, 464 Squadron (RAAF) 2TAF, RAF Thorney Island - October 1944
3 hours ago, Pappy said:

That is a thing of beauty. well done Mick

Pappy

They're kind words Pappy, thankyou.

1 hour ago, Russmeister 101 said:

Marvellous Mossie!!!

What a cracking job you've done on the weathering!  Very well executed :D

I have several Tamiya Mossies in the stash.... maybe this will be my next project after my Hellcat....?

Bravo that man!! 👏

Cheers Ross. I think a Hellcat might be my next one!

What a beautiful piece of work! I really like the prototypical approach, and it's lovely to see smoke staining around the gun muzzles portrayed correctly. I also loved seeing the exhaust shrouds having left cleaner areas after being removed. Looking forward to the next subject!

• Like 1

What everyone above says!

HUGE THUMBS UP!

I really love the subtle cloudy mottle post shading especially on the grey areas. Really nice & hopefully will inspire me to paint any up coming WW2 aircraft like that.

Martin

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:40 PM, sprue said:

A lovely rendition of the Tamiya mossie. I've built a few of these and in spite of the kits age they are still the bench mark. The weathering looks perfect.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:27 AM, binbrook87 said:

Beautiful Mossie. So realistic in the way you've painted and weathered it. Spot on! 👍👍

👍

On 8/18/2022 at 12:40 AM, stevehnz said:

That is a superb job there Mick, as good as it gets I reckon. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve. It was enjoyable subject to weather.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:47 AM, John Laidlaw said:

What a beautiful piece of work! I really like the prototypical approach, and it's lovely to see smoke staining around the gun muzzles portrayed correctly. I also loved seeing the exhaust shrouds having left cleaner areas after being removed. Looking forward to the next subject!

Thanks John. The bare metal under the shrouds is prominent in many photos where the shrouds have been removed. I cut a stencil that was placed over the are and then camo colours were applied. It worked quite well.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:49 AM, Vultures1 said:

Very nice work!  The weathering looks right for a well-used airframe but not overdone

👍

On 8/18/2022 at 3:12 AM, Roberto said:

Beautiful!

👍

On 8/18/2022 at 4:09 AM, Pete Robin said:

👍

Sorry, that's as big a Thumbs Up as I could find. Deserves a giant one.

Regards

Pete

HA! Thanks Pete.

On 8/18/2022 at 7:49 AM, Unfinished project said:

Great build and superb finish on your Mosquito. Love the Wooden Wonder and I’ve been watching these Tamiya Mossies on eBay and this has got me adding one to the basket. 

Good to here, they're a real bucket list item for aircraft modellers.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, Lightningboy2000 said:

What everyone above says!

HUGE THUMBS UP!

I really love the subtle cloudy mottle post shading especially on the grey areas. Really nice & hopefully will inspire me to paint any up coming WW2 aircraft like that.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I'm happy with how it's turned out,

On 8/18/2022 at 12:52 PM, Darwinism said:

Beautiful - the faded paintwork is perfect.

👍

On 8/19/2022 at 6:36 AM, Autle said:

Excellent paint job and weathering, Mossies are difficult to weather in my view but you've nailed it here

Thanks Autle. They are an interesting airframe to weathering considering they're mostly wooden.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:22 AM, Winenut said:

Just WOW!!!

👍

2 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

Johnny-on-the-spot with the stencils.

In fact, impressive details all over this airframe 👍

👍

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Excellent Mosquito Mick !!

Well done and amazing weathering !!

Hat off Man !!

Sincerely.

CC

👍

Apologies for not replying earlier but it was a busy weekend as we had our state model show QMHE and it was on our club table.

Cheers and thanks,

Mick

• Like 3