Gloster Javelin intakes

Selwyn

I have just mixed and matched the t3 and faw 9 Half's together and there is no difference the zts what ever it is to t3 and faw9 zts is smaller I also looked at the backend and it's narrower than the airfix faw9 

2 hours ago, ed-209 said:

I have just mixed and matched the t3 and faw 9 Half's together and there is no difference the zts what ever it is to t3 and faw9 zts is smaller I also looked at the backend and it's narrower than the airfix faw9 

Are you measuring the ZTS from the inner FAW 9 bulkhead? or the overall (FAW7) kit length?

Selwyn

The zts kit doesn't match to the faw9 much at all if you line up the wing leading edge and the intake lip that mach well the nose is short enough to fit inside the airfix kit the wing trailing edge is 3mm short and the rear fuselage is also narrower

31 minutes ago, ed-209 said:

The zts kit doesn't match to the faw9 much at all if you line up the wing leading edge and the intake lip that mach well the nose is short enough to fit inside the airfix kit the wing trailing edge is 3mm short and the rear fuselage is also narrower

Yes, but my point is the ZTS aft fuselage is the extended FAW7 fuselage, are you measuring the width of the rear of the fuselage  as it stands,  or are you measuring the width of the internal false bulkhead that you cut back to in the instructions ,when you modify the kit to the FAW9 option?

Selwyn

27 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Yes, but my point is the ZTS aft fuselage is the extended FAW7 fuselage, are you measuring the width of the rear of the fuselage  as it stands,  or are you measuring the width of the internal false bulkhead that you cut back to in the instructions ,when you modify the kit to the FAW9 option?

Selwyn

Overall length there's 2mm difference zts being shorter and the aft fuselage is narrower 

I've only just been reading about the zts kit after waching someone make a very nice job of 1 here on BM 

I will endeavour to master the art of FOTO hosting post some pictures because it's easier than spelling and typing 

Hi everyone, 

I am in Cuba enjoying the sunshine at the moment.  The internet is OK, but can be flakey so I will be reading through these threads when I get home.  I do have the Airfix T3 to hand at home so I will be able to do some measuring.  3D replacement intakes anyone???  Lol.

My Airfix/Heller T.3 measures approximately 8.5mm. That was taken vertically with digital calipers, as I couldn't get them in for a horizontal measurement. The intakes look slightly oval, horizontal being smaller. The starboard vertical measurement was 8.4mm and the port was 8.6mm, hence my value of 8.5mm. This is slightly larger than what would be expected based on the 22.5 inch measurement taken earlier on an actual aircraft, which would be more in the area of 7.9mm on the model.

However, I do remember sanding the inside diameter of the intakes to get rid of the awful seam and no doubt I made the opening larger than it originally was.

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT: Forgot I have the Airfix FAW.9 in the stash. Whilst still on the sprue, my quick measurement with a rule looks like around 9mm horizontally. Since Airfix had to shorten the length of the forward fuselage, and rework the area around the cockpit, I wouldn't be surprised if they also modified the intakes. Or maybe not. I guess I should stick the fuselage halves together and get a real measurement with the calipers (see below).

EDIT AGAIN: Nah, the intakes were not modified by Airfix. Same as the T.3.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I visited ‘The Jet Age Museum and met with ‘theplasticsurgeon’.  After photographing and measuring parts of the FAW9 we popped out to the FAW4 and I have to say the intakes were noticeable in their dimensions.  Of course, in hindsight I should have stkood right back and photographed the side view to determine if/where the intakes taper from - but I didn’t!  I will see if ‘tps’ will get a chance to next weekend.

• Like 3