Airfix's new tool 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk V

Hawker Tempest Mk V JN766 of No. 486 Squadron, Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire, April 1944.  This one turned out to be a bit of a masking fest as apart from the usual camo, fuselage band and leading edge strips, I had to add the factory painted underwing ID stripes which Airfix left off from their instructions (and decals). I'm not sure if they were ever painted out prior to D-Day and the application of the more familiar 'invasion stripes', but they were definitely present when the new aircraft was shown off to the press. JN766 survived the war, and was finally written off in a take-off accident in 1946.   

The kit is out of the box. All I did was to drill out the cannon covers and replace the radio and Rebecca aerials with stretch sprue. There was a slight mould defect in the canopy frame which I corrected with a shim of scrap plastic sanded to shape. I used Tamiya paints throughout except for the Sky fuselage band which was Vallejo Model Air.  It's a great little kit and I especially like the cleverly designed gear legs and doors which have nice secure attachment points and some excellent detail. All in all, recommended! 🙂  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 68
  • Thanks 3

A very clean build, beautifully painted.

I didn't even know that Airfix had released this kit. I am sure it is likely to be an improvement on the Academy offering.

Great show.

JR

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi,  

A very nice job. Nice to see and hear from you about the build of the new kit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the pictures on BM. 

Kevin 

You're welcome Kevin, and thanks.

13 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely clean job, you've kept it all nice and sharp for the scale. I'm just poking at this kit as well in moments of boredom; pretty impressed with how it's designed! 

Andy

Thanks Andy. Yes, it has some very interesting features although the thickness of the wing trailing edge has come in for some criticism. I tried to thin mine down a bit before joining the parts.

13 hours ago, Roberto said:

Really nice!

Thanks Roberto.

12 hours ago, jean said:

A very clean build, beautifully painted.

I didn't even know that Airfix had released this kit. I am sure it is likely to be an improvement on the Academy offering.

Great show.

JR

Many thanks Jean. There are parts for the later Series II version in the box, so another one will be released for sure.

9 hours ago, bryanm said:

Beautiful - love the clean finish!

Thanks Bryan. I usually add a bit of weathering but this time round I left well alone, partly to retain that brand new look and also because after all the painting and masking I didn't want to mess it up! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Thanks Andy. Yes, it has some very interesting features although the thickness of the wing trailing edge has come in for some criticism. I tried to thin mine down a bit before joining the parts

Yeah that I can see, I've had to thin mine a lot, although being relatively new, thought that might just be a reality at this scale. 

53 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Yeah that I can see, I've had to thin mine a lot, although being relatively new, thought that might just be a reality at this scale. 

It's typically Airfix and may in part be due to the plastic they use which is quite soft. Other companies achieve much finer edges (and details). It doesn't worry me too much though as it can be dealt with reasonably easily.  

While I've always preferred it's stable-mate - the Typhoon - there is something to be said for the venerable Tempest too!

What a cracking rendition of this Mk.V you've knocked out!

Fit and finish is exceptional!

Bravo that man!! 👏

• Thanks 1

Thants great, Ian! - wonderful work and as others a good standard of finish - I actually prefer your clean finish as weathering tends to be a tad overdone on occassions.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Very nice, looking very sharp there, very tidy! Great job!:goodjob:

I know those are not invasion stripes under it! They are identifying markings but not for D-Day. Its because this was very similar in shape to the P-47, The gunners on the ground were shooting at the Tempests and the Typhoons so some form of ID marking was needed to avoid 'blue-on-blue' incidents. I think thats part of it at least.😉

• Thanks 1

That’s just perfect Ian. I’ve seen quite a number of these built, however yours is the first to convince me that it’s a better kit than what I’ve initially thought. I think it helps to keep 1/72 kits relatively clean without over doing the weathering and yours looks so good from every angle. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2022 at 16:10, IanC said:

Hawker Tempest Mk V JN766 of No. 486 Squadron, Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire, April 1944.  This one turned out to be a bit of a masking fest as apart from the usual camo, fuselage band and leading edge strips, I had to add the factory painted underwing ID stripes which Airfix left off from their instructions (and decals). I'm not sure if they were ever painted out prior to D-Day and the application of the more familiar 'invasion stripes', but they were definitely present when the new aircraft was shown off to the press. JN766 survived the war, and was finally written off in a take-off accident in 1946.   

The kit is out of the box. All I did was to drill out the cannon covers and replace the radio and Rebecca aerials with stretch sprue. There was a slight mould defect in the canopy frame which I corrected with a shim of scrap plastic sanded to shape. I used Tamiya paints throughout except for the Sky fuselage band which was Vallejo Model Air.  It's a great little kit and I especially like the cleverly designed gear legs and doors which have nice secure attachment points and some excellent detail. All in all, recommended! 🙂  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Clean build.

Alain

• Thanks 1