Eduard 1-48 Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat late

Soooo... When we last looked in on my fevered ravings, the horizontal stabilisers were setting up in place...   What I hadn't accounted for was the rather large gap on the ventral side.... 😲  However, the Perfect Plastic Putty was still within reach of my grubby mitts... so out came some Tamiya tape and a cocktail stick...

Starboard side
y4mBBfMZw5B7KJJw1sA99mBtwTlAT61vTi6Szxzj

Port side

y4mRTshtjwNemQt2-4Wa92XhlPW9m8CxaNYzdVPc

Starboard side tidied up.

y4mLt947hNl9_rTw-JCq1QEUwArCdho7A1vNB7w4

Port side tidied up

y4mZ4z3SyPy6scXXMb5s7CCeEMo4umt3YF5_RMgi

With this taken care of, I was free to start looking at the wings...  On first inspection, they are ok.. with only a little flash around the cartridge ejector ports on the ventral side...  Only 4 parts make up the construction... Ventral surface of the wing, wheel well roof, guns* and dorsal surface.  (*see later rant)  Other areas I'm working on are the prop and engine...
y4mU5jx7rrIsY3kRD1K5V8_Mi2Q7npD-cr4GXs-q

Engine and gearing housing primed (I would later have to remove the magnetos from the gear housing... as I got sent a nice shiny new prop by a friend in the USA, who is something of an authority on the Hellcat, and denounces the kit prop as woefully inadequate in shape).... 

y4myuMu6VeWVfSYZJgcbP6tK6Vv5JTfCeEQv3ARg

Replacement prop, and the beginnings of scratch built guns... and ailerons... I can't be bothered with all the work that will be required to fill in the sink marks... so they will just have to do! :D

y4m3PIGpTSgGLJHRQYDeu-gze5mqNVG63116f85G

Starting to rough out barrel lengths for the guns...  a simple 18gauge needle is so versatile... who knew?

y4m-jD0-IK3FQH_UkqittigSOWdxftkeOUPeaULr

Nearly there...
y4mUOQJyiENOqdttyKhiWA-MahZV9U1SZZTMfL5k

Just need to let the wings dry so I can make seam free and then I can stick in the guns and get them lined up properly... 

y4mLOFkNNOJjaP-k2QLgvNbTBaGCRlydUFfLfJI1

Now - the promised rant from earlier....    If this is a Profipack, with loads of added goodies to enhance the look of a kit... why OH WHY have Eduard elected to use mis-shaped lumps of plastic to represent an integral part of the kit... i.e. GUNS...  Surely the price wouldn't increase by that much to have a half decent set of resin gun barrels included in the kit....?   Rant over.

• Like 6

So far so good!  I reckon that somehow you’ve ended up with a duff kit, my Eduard Hellcat from last year fit so well that I was able to paint it before attaching the wings and tail, they were a perfect fit, and I don’t recall any sink marks, either.  Nonetheless, you’re making a very nice go of it so far.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

So far so good!  I reckon that somehow you’ve ended up with a duff kit, my Eduard Hellcat from last year fit so well that I was able to paint it before attaching the wings and tail, they were a perfect fit, and I don’t recall any sink marks, either.  Nonetheless, you’re making a very nice go of it so far.

Thank you kindly :D  It is proving to be not quite the shake and bake affair that I have been led to believe it should be...   Ah well... What doesn't kill us usually leaves us incapacitated and lying in the foetal position crying for mummy.... ;) I'm certain that I will whip it into shape.... eventually ;) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey thus is putting up a bit of a fight, you're doing well though , great work so far.

Chris

Thank you kindly.   If it's of any interest I take a large boxing glove....   at least with one of those I'd be better able to hold onto the photo-etched parts... :giggle:

• Like 1

Another day brings another bash at fettling away at my Hellcat...

Sooooooo.... Today I've...

• Built, primed and put a metal coat onto the Cutting Edge resin prop that was so kindly donated to me from a friend in 'Murica :D  🇬🇧 🇺🇸.
  • While I had the primer and AK Extreme Metal out - painted the Wright R-2800-W10 - both prop and engine have been given a coat of Alclad Aquagloss in preparation for the inevitable rounds of chipping that will ensue... ;) .
  • Made sure the glue had gone off in my wings before sanding the seam out of the leading edges.
  • Sanded the fuselage a little more, trying to get it level.
  • Rescribed a few panel lines on the wings around the leading edges and gun ports
  • CA'd in the replacement gun barrels.  They are in no way meant to be accurate - but, considering the mis-shaped lumps of styrene I was provided with - they are a vast improvement! :D

Here's some eye candy ;)

y4m1MiwqSQcBGzz7iU5PIPvbf3supnQrxcS6RNne

y4mbQ4qtoCTcSY1IzeDw7BQRW3Bz9Tyfv9ftpA0h

y4mk_S3z8TjwKgwLDOOjMq-ebawNHeUo68zXsNL8

y4mLC7QCco0V59z-Fszv3AWuUOn570zu_sukssYJ

y4mj89caGemPjDk1Z1qUISDpw8JrpZ1eVBqDNBC1

y4mb-Pc11NtqYiGDyBTN6_bj_V6cy4mi2jA3HQg4

y4mFEe6t_EckQ5BWfZQoHfG-nwo8JOrT9lXM0uRl

y4mfctnW0_s4hpszYHkoshIufEY32BZNtHCzkJfq

• Like 7

Watching with great interest. I was given the Hellcat Mark I/II Combo boxing of this kit some time ago - and while it's a lovely package, frankly the amount of etch has scared me off so far. 

(And it seems huge to someone who's more used to 1/72!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tentacles said:

Watching with great interest. I was given the Hellcat Mark I/II Combo boxing of this kit some time ago - and while it's a lovely package, frankly the amount of etch has scared me off so far. 

(And it seems huge to someone who's more used to 1/72!)

The beauty of etch is, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. :D  
It’s a large hunk of aeroplane, that is for certain… and I usually build 1:48 Spits :D

• Like 1

It's starting to look a bit like a Hellcat now I've got the wings nailed on and a bit of a wash on the engine :D   

I have to say that following the fuselage fit issue... this wing join is a welcome respite from filling and sanding :D :D

y4mODxy-ekO0Erq6-tsq89q6aHO2cDGiLlugFSpn

y4mdaZQBCFYaATfGxUEd27ouZc9ACP8UGYfNFTx_

Have to admit that I'm happy that everything appears to be OK with all the geometry so far... :D

y4mrfLqle4r1OPINCD5zCtdsow8ccLLZ3NfClNqb

Hello, I'm a Hellcat - how are you? :D
y4mpuzimdIhAyX_Wy4iNkHNg8TSTgY06WDiLi6-W

The engine doesn't look half bad either with a quick Tamiya Dark Brown panel line wash on...  I'll let this cure for a day or two before painting the push rods and attaching the photoetch ignition harness.

y4mRFa7IElr3s9IDGXmogtvZQMkphoed4XwHwjMa

• Like 7

Not been idle - but, not been pushing myself either...

The gearing housing has been chipped and added to the engine. (I also have painted the push rods... but forgot to photograph them...)  I'm also debating whether to use the etch ignition harness...  Still feeling a bit traumatised with losing so many levers to the carpet monster.... :giggle:

Front cowlings have been fettled with and prepared.  I have a friend in the U.S.A. that is something of an authority on WWII USN aircraft, and is sure in his assertions that the inside of the cowlings were black for this mark of airframe.  So, black it is, not the interior green that Eduard have called out for.  (Didn't take photos of that either... I really should fire the chief photog shouldn't I...? :shrug: )

Final seam check has been performed, and a few minor gaps filled with Perfect Plastic Putty...   I reckon she's about ready for primer??

y4mNIWvPlYq9hQ1ZIGXogdZDQq10mtrW-evR1Jz-

y4mWCqaAlhRw5NhpqB6M7tmoEvogEjqzgiLzhn-6

y4mSyaCezoJ_5VoycN0y-9bwfAYHZlmttPcMXjC9

y4maZYLtXoaGtJJ8-PZGCwLn2qIuxQVnZQYauxH0

y4mU5GwmbamIDOyXrtWV3C6mJNBgNIKqgLOzcHqy

y4msN8PBz6Kz1OqAh49bu_IdikR_jEKV5OZekfwS

y4m7prdpDbk6BvMSe83Truljqwv4NTIET9bp2nvQ

y4mfN_-qIdYZxqDm0O6j33kpU83-CX7gjO1vvXCg

y4mLvAi3oaW3KsWFAsJp__65vHyczBBRDY_bdmJ6

y4mZSLqlDoRtRpAzO9ZZ6Bu-JTh4rC0ZBdVJsdt8

y4mTdCl2cgarSCIlRG5dHwIhMgnrL0hDSI5pP6H8

y4mu-DxAQ1F3CoM8tvN2VxRFMy_a_QzkB04gIqsM

y4mER-KJjRSNKB2WTdHvxF2YwYvYGA6g4zUnd4Xi

• Like 9

How's everyone's bank holibobs going?   

I've just about completed all the major works on the Hellcat.  Just the undercarriage oleos to build (that will be fun with my myopic peepers... :rofl:)

• Prop is all painted and glossed - ready for decals - only took me 3 attempts to get it to where I was happy with it... I must be improving!! ;)
  • Engine installed and cowling nailed on.
  • Internal wheel bay parts installed.
  • Glazing is installed firmly in the closed position and masked accordingly.

y4mTrwQYyiWlkcLDEySaugCh01ricnwLXSGkiWlj

y4mOD3AgMqYG7ew5pvjO2itpmSnW8fiKer6P3zKc

y4mM8VJrA6GV_bXqBQNh4XuoSJnGrW7Ebxo9L4Wl

y4mSFae9qwlU1--5iRNNpBr0Gsfe62dWGhjBmUio

y4m4KJvrqa_aCiaOOwJHuJgGqrjB0PDPkxg1N2-d

y4mrgAVZUwAbHPkuhHAjg6S7Y7BvD_hsIm8ik-RW

y4msIbN9bt53CY4yj2cS03TNDdAw0AW-ahP-n3N4

• Like 9

The modelling gods are laughing at my folly... I've been meaning to order a replacement colour-cup cap for my H&S Evolution...   But with several builds under my belt, and many successful paint jobs... complacency set in....

Surely, I could continue to cheat the gods.... and fate...

Today, my A$$ has been royally chomped on....    Still nothing that can't be fixed.....  Sigh......

It was all going so well, too.....  :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

Spot of Molotow Liquid Chrome for the nav light reflectors
y4mzrdafWtNm7N7KLdHDvKbPxQiRwh_TKTxa4bsF

y4mKj0udFJev-rC6XdloXIAsS9dqaEZ1spRjDvOA

Ready for paint.... Shame about the ugly bag of mostly water wielding the airbrush loaded with lacquer paints..... :giggle:
y4md1_8vdqIMvDOgl_-YUzk5A7NbVyBBkwp_YSS9

I wafted a little too enthusiastically.... "Pardon me Boy, is this the splatteroony choo-choo?"....  It doesn't look too bad on first glance.... then you remember that gravity is a thing.....

y4mz2OycKowtZvBzBduKHayk5lw-k50Wvlz8mJhV

y4m4nCdYy7qDXEwUgYtMs5Zdh3a_ME90G1eBFBZA

y4mwvvKR5wSsYAmNGsJpJ25aafkkNVJqHSRloDem

I'll give it a couple of days to cure, then strip it off and start again....

Ho hum....

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

sigh...I may or may not have stripped and restarted painting on a couple of models, too. Well, better at the start than the finish.

Perhaps some plastic cling wrap will do for the time being. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:25 PM, dnl42 said:

sigh...I may or may not have stripped and restarted painting on a couple of models, too. Well, better at the start than the finish.

Perhaps some plastic cling wrap will do for the time being. :shrug:

I've a very good friend that, like me - loses things...  Only he is prepared and a replacement CC is on the way to me as we speak.  Gotta love friends, eh? :D :D

In other news - a swift sanding with p800 then p1800 yields the following results....

y4m-eZQnsRfIDU5I6D6huo90pyekVBUFjo8KOdYN

y4mt-XXkROv3x415B4ZyxfAjiMS01iv12QOrjHTN

• Like 4

Right... sulk over :giggle:

Repaired the paint damage, re-primed and re-painted.... happy camper...

I've selected Mr. Hobby Colour Aqueous H55 Midnight Blue and H57 Aircraft Grey to be my specular lowlight and highlight respectively.   Of course, I'll need to give a top coat of H54 Navy Blue after the fact, but, for now... here where my current project is... :D
I've used Ushi van der Rosten spatter templates in anger for the first time.  I selected pattern C - as I felt it most closely represented the scale for tonal variations in the paintwork.

y4mo1uGky3FsSnQ7kmhDnwgGXmyY7QcOJSBmkL5H

y4mbgbFzo1ScZhdxBJGR7jsnsuN48BKSsQM56BLb

y4mQfjWlfHW8aJTTlyto9Yf3T64wLutyXozoG5Nu

y4mugrBLVs-ClujOJfwhenwzqLFy3TAt1i-LiWgS

y4mXDgbWbYNqomIVmxZSCT_I0SjQ9RLBo15oRHkG

y4ms-TT8rAgqXv1G-0HXmTTep2MyK3_IJeHvfJmT

y4mQmlJzR_BEwlR1WPkLkej_boHpbLmGSvx_5FNK

y4mo44niM9txe3dYhm93_XS_JVnumSJJkbOhhoJe

y4mdCkpg8VNKTYQrCkuKeuWjciZX3Ww1-kWgDM4G

y4mtBtTT4TE47E6UTNR9xOSdowbRVqNo2kwd66Y-

y4meVWl1zLDz_cWOk_QE9mhBfxheKLj0gt5Mysjm

• Like 7

Excellent recovery.

I'm quite interested in your results with that spray template. Weathering is Real Hard(TM) for me, so I usually avoid it. Perhaps some tools may help me master that craft...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent recovery.

I'm quite interested in your results with that spray template. Weathering is Real Hard(TM) for me, so I usually avoid it. Perhaps some tools may help me master that craft...

Thank you.  I must admit to being curious myself.   My usual technique is to black-base... then use a light grey or tan to colour each panel (I'm certain you're familiar with the technique... there are loads of YT modellers that do this) then mist over the "final colour"....

Just looking at it now... looks like it's been salt-weathered to within an inch of being airworthy.....   I kinda like it as-is..... 😲:rofl:

Of course - it WILL get the Navy Blue top-coat.... so I'm itching for this Gunze gloss paint to cure.... it takes forever!!!! 🤬:giggle:

Thanks for following the build :D

Bit of a long update this one....  please bear with me.

I'll start with lessons learned.... @dnl42  Hope this help you in some way :D 

• TAKE YOUR TIME with spatter masks.  Make sure you keep consistent distances (where possible) to avoid changes in definition (see port wing with dark lowlight about the mid section for example)
  • DONT USE GLOSS COATS for your high/lowlights... a world of pain can be avoided... especially in paint drying times...
  • ENSURE YOUR AIR PRESSURE IS SUFFICIENT.  You'll notice that the highlights colour has spattered in several places... leading to lumps of paint that have had to be sanded back to plastic to remove...  Joy!
  • BE SELECTIVE with the areas you use the templates on... Wing leading edges, upper and the same for the tail. (Ventral surfaces receive no where near as much sun bleaching as the dorsal surfaces for instance) 
  • IF using multiple colours for creating effects, maybe not the best idea to go for opposite ends of the spectrum... I feel I would have been much better served with a light and medium grey...

Here we are at the moment...  I'll start with the pictures that show a top-coat over the high/lowlights....

y4mpBFlfPVQqLpmwDXlHTvIs6PwYuTKNUAV8IFL7

y4ml9K9K6FpU8B2Tv1zUhos_ZySGL84UyY2RtGTk

y4mY8e6ds-j0HXYgL4mMO3n2JbINFABhzcsphMoj

y4m4cumecPk7ZfCXvePMzqeQ5oub08sTaSGVmFWA

y4maqyjDXUhVkHwrebbHkUWC8OuPS4u14U9jEWe7

In this picture in particular, you can see the result of holding the mask too close to the surface.... looks awful!!! :( 

y4mBf92nIG3OCKLVa7XECchyoOZmApiZVjzrkkdo

Now this is what it looks like having let the top coat cure for a day... (I used MLT neat to try to get the paintwork to level off... didn't work! :( This left the paint very soft so I didn't want to create more work by sanding soft paint)
y4mSrVVBCjyydC9vtqThij5AQNPtcaIyVyRkxDqz

The spatters are clearly visible... THIN YOUR PAINT AND ENSURE SUFFICIENT PSI!!! :D 
y4mYwxRzi1-KxsTSKNFs2do4Xa3YUcEYTW0j-8mJ

y4mGU1n7f9JeQ7TK6AVYY1rTwAoCyV6y0Qhh8C8f

In other news - I'll now need to scratch build the catapult hooks for the underwings, as my vigorous sanding resulting in blunt force trauma to the parts.... 

I'll give this a fairly heavy coat of Navy Blue and see where we stand....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nope....

Didn't work...  But I did scratch build the representation of catapult hooks at least.... so that's a win? :tease:

Scratch built catapult hooks... (Don't tell Mrs Russmeister... I stole one of her jewellery hook pins, for.... experimentation purposes... :lipssealed:
y4mbsgHI8cYAFTyEgwJoLBp6TCSMDRLia6KknBQQ

y4mZW7-gN71GHaj17u6zBN_LMjxp9Aq5hOIEgGhh

SOOOOOOO - It's been sanded back to plastic and resprayed.... again....   But, now I've scratched the bloody plastic to the point of being obvious.... :angry:

y4mrvQeMgZxMcB0vaszW9kL-ddnE2R8lf9miA9l7

So I'm going to strip the whole airframe, polish the plastic properly... re-prime and repaint.  Am I going to use the spatter masks...  possibly, as I know now where I erred... I do know one thing....  All this is going to be a week or so in the future.... as I'm really REALLY close to seeing how aerodynamically accurate this Eduard kit is..... 

Here is where she is, pending paint strip and complete body overhaul.....

I resprayed with a fairly heavy coat of navy Blue... not realising that the underlying problem hadn't been cured.

y4m__seS-H-OCoobS69qwMU7UwRRaKWqV0nS3OIj

y4mhsna21L8F-5WM_LcbWXgbqNsdtCKL1icRlS1r

Realising the underlying issue was still present - I had to resort to using my scalpel to pry off the little pimples of dried paint that the airbrush spattering had caused...  Had I realised this before hand... I would have sanded the bloody things sooner!!!!   Ah well... lesson learned...  AND I remember why I don't like spraying gloss coats... lol.  Because 

you get lots of little pimples to pop off with my scalpel...  Do you think TLC UK will give me my own TV show?....

Following a respray.. the scratched plastic is obvious.... :angry:

So... see you in a week or so... assuming I've both calmed myself down AND got past the crushing embarrassment I'm feeling presently.... 

TTYNW

• Like 4

The good thing about modelling is the value of £ per hour spent on the hobby.

In this case I can see you are getting tremendous value for money with this kit 😜

Seriously, it looks a 'hell of a kit' TM) to build - as in the amazing level of detail - and in the end I've no doubt you will get to show it who's boss.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

The good thing about modelling is the value of £ per hour spent on the hobby.

In this case I can see you are getting tremendous value for money with this kit 😜

Seriously, it looks a 'hell of a kit' TM) to build - as in the amazing level of detail - and in the end I've no doubt you will get to show it who's boss.

lol!!

I am certain that I will whip her into shape.. 

Damned thing is gonna fight me all the way... The carpet monster just snagged himself (or herself...  or itself...  whatever....) parts from my undercarriage.

Seeing as I don't do "in flight" poses.... (Personal preference, as I don't do figures) this is being boxed indefinitely... I'll contact Eduard and see if I can grab an overtree, if they've any left.

PPO'd

• Sad 2