Eduard 1-48 Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat late

I see that OneDrive have now totally stuffed up the linking on my pictures... way to go Microsoft!!! 😕 

I've got a ticket in with Microsoft at the moment (their initial response to my query was to remove the files from the recycle bin back to the folder...  I'm thinking something was lost in translation perhaps...? :shrug:  Now they understand the issue, (and looking at the web, it's becoming a real problem for a great many folks) they "have a team" looking at it...

Guess I'll not be posting any more updates to WIP or RFI until this is sorted out. (Yes, I know there are other, quite possibly more reliable photohosts out there, but I get 1TB storage with my Office subscription and refuse to pay for another service.)

Sorry chaps and chapettes, paused until further notice. :( 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Right - I've discovered that Microsoft are useless... (perhaps I'm a little too naive?) 
After a week of back and forth - they want me to take a screen video of me going through my "process" to re-create the issue... despite the fact that it is intermittent and not affecting all my pics..?  Ah well.... Ain't got time for that nonsence... 

So, I've deleted all my files and re-uploaded in the original format directly from my phone.  As they are all present and correct, and not a broken file is to be seen... I'm beginning to suspect that there is something screwy with the conversion from heic format (iPhone user, sorry) to ye olde worlde jpg.

In light of this, I've now the mammoth task of re-linking all my pictures... what fun!   I was making merry progress with this task, when, lo and behold - the Onedrive website has flaked out and is refusing to allow generation of hyperlinks to my files......  DAMN YOU MICROSOFT.... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!! <sorry...  I came over all Charlton Heston like for a moment there...>

Updates soon, well, as soon as I've relinked all my bloody pictures that is... 

• Sad 1

Final update on the whole Microsoft saga....

The re-uploaded original files direct from my iPhone seem to be stable and are generating good links to the pictures - hooray! :D 

I've re-linked all the missing files from the build, for your viewing pleasure; I've also uploaded the rest of the major decal shots... all that's left to do now is the stencils, a satin coat and some weathering and I can finally call this one cooked.....

Stay tuned pop-pickers ;) 

• Like 2

I've just found your build and trolled through the four pages. I'm interested as I have a  Dual Kit Hellcat Mk1+2. You seem to have had your fair share of problems and obstacles along the way, not least Microsoft!

Re pinging etched parts, I usually work in a large clear plastic bag. the pinged parts remain in the bag.

Colin

• Like 3

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I've just found your build and trolled through the four pages. I'm interested as I have a  Dual Kit Hellcat Mk1+2. You seem to have had your fair share of problems and obstacles along the way, not least Microsoft!

Re pinging etched parts, I usually work in a large clear plastic bag. the pinged parts remain in the bag.

Colin

The bag is a great idea Colin!  I may have to adopt that method.  

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great with the decals on ,  hope you can  get Photo hosting sorted okay. I use a free site Imgur and so far has been great.

Great work and perseverance. 

Chris

Thank you Chris ❤️  I'll admit that several times this project has been destined for the garbage can... but then I think, NO!  I CAN do this...  take a breath and step back for a day or two.

Thanks for your encouragement :D

• Like 2

So... having had a couple of days rest since my mammoth re-linking task.. I've added some stencils to the underside of the Hellcat....

Nothing much to see, and still a ways to go before completed...  I need to get a move on though, as I've picked up a commission for a friend... They want a Tornado GR.1 like the one I built previously for their other halfs' Xmas pressie... :D  No pressure then :santa:

If you're interested in the Tonka - it's HERE Obviosly, the GR.1 is at the bottom... 

Here's the Hellcat...  Lots of little white stencils all over the place...
y4mbblCgkAA9Ztm_XTI99MdEReP_MCIfORiNE11_

y4mjOQZqdLJmswsvKMJRfX78f1wCzHly_eJ-gyg6

y4me_hjL_ErENmAy2xe8uxCSSCFRbCLwHIU0TX_p

y4mKaXmBhVR1da5Q7izm0ASnD_I8BFa8bk1gVSqW

y4m1n-Uko05gfaallcbhnajglCUIpEFZlBf7hlQw

y4mxORiqGGN9u3wQMKN3AhqP8yWiTTcsxiQUa_1s

y4mgpEilHvdmwuLbUHi4fn4Wf8szRq8s5Peljtwb

• Like 2

When a kit is fighting you all the way…. When do you say enough is enough??? :shrug:

Top tip for you…. Don’t use MLT if there is even a hint of car polish left on your kit… :angry:

Gonna leave this for a couple of days for the MLT to evaporate fully, and the GX100 Superclear to harden properly before I attempt to salvage this…

I foresee a very broken Hellcat in my future... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

y4mF3sW2lAIdvAV8va8NmCyPBh3x_a6Ehv43l2Hp

y4me1Q2ZOMb_t8ZwIhgtGC8JweI0JLeHQ49BBkMU

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952zvlsdi90oey3ongdn4

• Sad 2

I don't usually do crass or vulgar language...  However.. I WILL drag this Motherf*$#er to the finish line if it kills me......

Sanded back with 3M ultrafine sponge... VERY carefully....   I only lost one of the gun hatch decals, and some small damage to the Star and Bar decal on the upper port wing.  Easy fixes!!!

Now - I will do my paint touch-ups and use an acrylic top-coat....

y4m4JDsOmjEXZ1nfGyco3QTxeSkjpJvQTqOd-fLD

y4mfJd9_Qa4dvczMxtTGt3UiZ5ClZCbOh878HPRy

y4m3UKye3YGVK19glJIa9Z8pKX0tzOdxLEiEZNPQ

y4muewxGFW0-fasuhBweseDYz6VxNv-XJdOzpJBm

y4mq7wzUbJ9xq83rL2ygcNT7_AQK1XAGr5c7iWwL

y4m-IU0wuigdKuOiHsC3g8r8KCTkiPOJ5bR27lFk

y4mESJZWgTkaCdTOPvMJsyxNTFeefHjKLMT5kAsW

y4msRb92cqzgGBbvGxb8awDszeelBrVz5XeIz9Fn

y4mLJqbumo68n_i2OuIYZ17r-TqOwT2sWMKgcS8k

• Like 3

Alright cosmos... I give in.  You've fought brilliantly and I no longer have the will to finish this project.

It's going in the bin... I'm man enough to know when the universe is conspiring against me.

So....

Yesterday afternoon, I gave it a lovely coat of Alclad Aquagloss... and left it under a protective container overnight to ward off dust greeblies and impatient fingers....

Giving me this result this morning...
y4mxVX6r1gbhE5K98Eva85gxCkSGzAhidiWPJfHE

Encouraged - I carefully masked off the wing marking that needed repair.... resulting in something resembling thusly...  Note - I de-tack any masking that goes over a gloss coat... because the last thing I want to do is, oh, I don't know.... rip off the gloss coat, or even worse, the underlying decals too.... 😕 

y4m52i9fLpw7XSl3rEbSGRAIibm264vakxZUrLQz

Very thin paint and very low pressure yielded the following results...  Not too shabby... and the masking worked a treat.
y4mFduBMAq6j74KcbskyaY1XjI5p7-dLVUOr0FPQ

While I had white paint in my colour-cup - I turned my atttention to the damaged tail markings that needed touching up... if you recall, looking something like this...

y4mSZeTc3o2xoYXsef9t2XjIP4tx1RlpvTjb1CTl

Now - please bear in mind that the Aquagloss had been left alone for about 20 hours...  AND I detacked my Tamiya masking tape on the back of my not inconsiderably hirsuit arms.... giving the results seen on the wings marking...

THIS... 
THIS happens to me!!! 
y4mAT3bWAhwNaQUtUQ4TWuNAnR-0nl37kWpMzKgr

y4mnKvECsQQxJQyTR6_YoKDH94WH5jKJicsLrC8B

crying-emoji-16.gif

Imma take up Number-plate spotting from the central reservation of the M1 - it's far less stressful.

0*JFAT5LeAP21oPNJS.jpg

• Sad 1

I was just about to write, nice save an the paintwork and then saw your last post. OUCH!!!

If I may and you haven't totally abandoned the build. I think you may have missed something re the panel lines, I think and I'm open to correction, that the skin panels met on the top and bottom of the fuselage, so there should be a join line.

I do hope the kit hasn't beaten you?

Colin

44 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

If I may and you haven't totally abandoned the build. I think you may have missed something re the panel lines, I think and I'm open to correction, that the skin panels met on the top and bottom of the fuselage, so there should be a join line.

I do hope the kit hasn't beaten you?

Hi Colin.  I am afraid that it has.  It's sucked the life out of any enjoyment I was getting from the kit.  It's been riddled with problems from the get-go.  Not that I'm averse to putting in some graft to turn out a tidy end result... But that has to be balanced with enjoyment.   Fortunately for me... Mrs. Russmeister has graciously agreed to display the kit in it's present form in her study,  (I nailed the gear doors and wheels on, and put the prop into the engine.

Regards your comment about the panel lines, and assuming that I understand you correctly; meeting as in the BF109 with it's noticable seam on the spine of the fuselage?  It's entirely possible that you are correct.  This is my first foray into WWII USN kit - so I am by no means even an apprectice yet...

I may.... MAY have another go at this one... (with a new kit, to be completely fair to Eduard!)  

Thanks for looking in on the build... I can quite honestly say I've never had one fight me as much as this one has... but I have other, more time sensitive projects to be getting on with, insteady of Nancying about with torn decals ;)

• Like 1

So sorry to see all these problems....

Whatever, that's a nice Hellcat...

Just let it sleep some weeks, I'm sure that one day soon, you will correct it for good !!

But now, on for new adventures !!

Well done Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Just now, corsaircorp said:

So sorry to see all these problems....

Whatever, that's a nice Hellcat...

Just let it sleep some weeks, I'm sure that one day soon, you will correct it for good !!

But now, on for new adventures !!

Well done Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you kindly CC.  I appreciate the comment :D❤️ 

I may get back to it in the new year... I've a Christmas commission I need to start... it's "only" a Revell 1:48 Tornado IDS (converted to a GR.1a in wrap-around green/grey for 617Sqn :D)

• Like 1