Eduard 1-48 Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat late

Greetings one and all.

Been a while since I built anything, and even longer since I posted a WIP.... 

So, with no further waffle - progress so far on a build of many (well... two at least) firsts - 1st WWII USN airframe... 1st Eduard kit (I know, I know... I only just crawled from under my rock....) 

Obligatory box art shot...
y4mty-VDlIkIwLJuZVca_ZWp4TBKj_GWyxGCNLxr

Photoetch gets taped down to a kitchen tile - this prevents (for the most part at least) pinging of tiny bits of metal shrapnel into the ether..

1y4msAix4HHXjUpjt02qs-KRNsLEe0_I_-OQMjDDz

I still maintain my position that photo etch is the work of Beelzebub...  Still... should look OK when wrapped around the seat (I hope)
y4mBbWu1dyoKazsv1kxrkd6eEb50Em71r6HX4ZyF

Cockpit beginning to take shape... OOOOH... another first... first time using Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black as a primer... Thinned 4:1 with Mr. Color Levelling Thinner.   Gives a cracking base for colour and dries super fast :D Winner!!  On the down side - don't try to clean out your airbrush with IPA...  The resulting crud looked like coffee grounds, and took me the better part of an hour to clean out of my H&S Evolution 🤬🤬
y4m8bwQ0IdtMsqg9HXnR6ZoEyMbBz6c-F5Cn8Gla

Tally Ho Chaps and Chapettes...  More soon!

• Like 10

One thing that has surprised me is the Mr. Color H58 situation... who knew that such a furore would ensue?   8 drops of H12 matt black into my new pot of H58 (now Zinc Chromate...? :shrug:) and a rather pleasing result is to be had, as per the 2nd to last picture in this update... (in my opinion at least....) 

It' sooooo tiny and fiddly.  Gloss clear works remarkably well as an adhesive for etch... allowing plenty of "fiddle time" (necessary for blind old duffers like me... ;)

y4mYt9-3wIaMpHqD8weCRut0SN-f88suX2ZbZ8Wy

Adding even tinier pieces of folded metal onto other pieces is relaxing... how... exactly?  Can someone please explain to me? :D 

y4m-oCQEwSaesECVSDw17ET3MTngXMBoekOIAd-u

Now, the interior green I mixed from my new "H58 interior green" and 8 drops of matt black :D  Not 100% a colour match for the etch... but close enough to fool the eye if only a cursory glance is given... I hope?
y4m9yBjmk7kB6x8KTp5zobQTEzdcEzgm9oPKenph

Did I mention that I hate working with photoetch???
y4mBD-Ro9mT_M2R-2A8UPW9FvWAleoic6NRfPBvh

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent start! :thumbsup: 

There was an F6F GB last year with a several instances of this kit. Not all of the PE made it into my build. 

Thank you.  I doubt it will into mine either... I've already lost an important part to the carpet monster - going to have to improvise and fashion a part from styrene to fill in the gap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's it!  There is more etch on the floor than in the pit and of course, it's all the levers etc... so now the canopy will be well and truly placed in the "risk of falling out - low" position... 

I'm more annoyed at myself than anything else... It's not like I don't KNOW I don't get on with etch... but still I try, and am surprised when the carpet monster leaves teeth marks in my ample posterior...

Have at me fellows...  I shan't even bother to apply a wash - as virtually nothing will be visible behind the greenhouse... :D

y4mlQsecoODtH8soog4qmroDLOiB77reMOHTppNy

y4mfBU-urnCB7_q4ezrmGJ896e3Gqc5n9RuwN-tG

y4mF7g3_subFT34fWnsoRYSaYJF41fYfZjJlbDhY

• Like 14

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

That's nice and neat work! FWIW, I would give the belts a wash, but that's about it.

Thank you for your kind words and advice.  I shall give the belts a wash, as in retrospect, they are a little... clean, aren't they? :D

• Like 3

Another day brings more progress to the build...   Not much to report, except sink marks on the horizontal stabilisers...   They have been taken care of :D

SO... Black based with Mr. Finishing surfacer 1500 (black, obviously... lol) then wafted over my custom mixed new formula H58 Interior Green.   I'll let it go off before I add the final few pieces of photoetch... placards and map wallet etc...y4mtkzHwKIJOMuvHu7UywGmb2ya5HjDFeSs501lw

I understand why sink marks happen... but why do they have to happen in glaringly obvious places??  Grrrr. 🤬:giggle:
y4m6zhXjXJwnKzCqKaK1x1792h79kwtFHHegCxg4

Filled with Black CA glue...

y4m0aeWTytgfzy7yGyGy6RLHltPm_T2bQ6Ay3unX

Sanded and polished... the (almost) perfect crime ;)
y4mpOa-1JFSxpajOaogc2eoIuXF-MbtCafIW7GHh

More soon.... 

• Like 8

I've built two of these. Generally they're nice kits, but the sink marks on all the control surfaces really are difficult to deal with without quadrupling the amount of work required for the whole model. The ailerons are usually really bad on these. Elevators often suffer too as I see yours have.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've built two of these. Generally they're nice kits, but the sink marks on all the control surfaces really are difficult to deal with without quadrupling the amount of work required for the whole model. The ailerons are usually really bad on these. Elevators often suffer too as I see yours have.

Yep - easy enough to tackle with a little time and patience... and, as you rightly say - a pain in the derriere...   Still - all part of lifes rich tapestry, eh? :D 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Russmeister 101 said:

Now why in God's name would anyone want to attempt such foolishness?!?! ;)

It's not foolishness if there is no or next to no detail provided in the kit and there are after market etch sets available which improve the look,

For example the basic Ejector seat in an MPM 1/72 Meteor F.8

52145443986_86772dd04d.jpg

And after the addition of etch

52145682949_c2acd3b381.jpg

Gondor

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gondor44 said:

It's not foolishness if there is no or next to no detail provided in the kit and there are after market etch sets available which improve the look,

Gondor

I meant no offence - hence the winky face after my comment.  Clearly, 1:72 etch is almost a mandatory requirement in the absence of satisfactory kit detail.  I certainly couldn't handle it with my myopic little peepers and ham fisted grip on tweezers!  I doff my cap to you, Sir..   You are a talented modeller to be able to handle the small stuff :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russmeister 101 said:

I meant no offence - hence the winky face after my comment.  Clearly, 1:72 etch is almost a mandatory requirement in the absence of satisfactory kit detail.  I certainly couldn't handle it with my myopic little peepers and ham fisted grip on tweezers!  I doff my cap to you, Sir..   You are a talented modeller to be able to handle the small stuff :D

Now I would agree with you if you had been talking about 1/350 or smaller ship model etch :o

Gondor

• Haha 1

So...  I've been hammering the final bits of etch to the cockpit walls (forgot to take photos, 'cause I'm dumb... sorry) and nailing the fuselage together.  As Eduard only give you a representation of holes in the rear undercarriage assembly, I drilled them out (badly).  Also, as @John Laidlaw rightly stated, the belts looked thoroughly too clean, so they got a wash with Tamiya Brown panel liner (and I didn't wash it off... how gauche of me!! ;) )

I've also made a start on the mighty Wright R-2800-10W engine :D 

y4m-DoJ7YAOVa0mIXeGwTPK8X5wzLIIsCUbzzWMq

y4mcM-YohY185X4q00UOgPc2IT3LpSln3t3jrYUZ

y4mV6GhnEIwtiAsKOLnllpmrNPAgWHMIkP4MKI3u

y4mWKhOtvN5lKyYZGmu4zVtPOE3aeMWNTtHAVBNv

y4mFYGZewAlrhGgLamaa60lSmbbmqKr_z9n7DdTI

y4mb0yI45zujr5dPzcOLCzVndU50Ko3kn_rYzYiA

y4m2D8_z2XoEA9zyynTf5peaEjTvL5VR60duntB7

• Like 13

2 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

That definitely looks better - far less contrast with the rest of the cockpit. The rest of it is coming along nicely!

I thank you kindly…. I would have missed it if you hadn’t mentioned it. :D

• Like 1

So. My sticking and gluing wasn’t as precise as I would have liked….. out comes the PPP and for the nose, superglue was the only option as there was a rather wide gap.

All sanded out now and rescribed where necessary.  The horizontal stabilisers are setting nicely. It’s fortunate that Mr Colour paint pots have a gap between the lid and the shoulder of the pot that is the perfect height to make the alignment square. Happy accident as Bob Ross would say :D

y4mZqiaa7FSNWC9Dc40J3q6tpI5WCdhN76Tb29XT

Rather obvious gap in the nose... the rest of the kit lined up perfectly... a partial mis-mold perhaps? :shrug: Also, you can just make out that the port side of the fuselage is sitting proud of the starboard.... 🤬
y4mZuEGRC4xuwO9ia9vccxGi_nDNJQqX8iJ5hAKi

Ready to be sanded - Perfect Plastic Putty is my best friend :D 

y4mvMsTYQQQ_x7PPdh6T293sn2f2gNkTX17EqApg

See - I told you it was my best friend... .:giggle:  Sadly - the gap in the nose dictated the use of a much stronger and more robust filler... out comes the black CA.

y4mBKhpn4pDFsn5K5eQuTsC79fO2DoaXqAmm9Vj1

Belly all sanded, rescribed and re-riveted

y4modTH7p7nAYme54PgTRLCFJv28aJz3ojitpE7R

Dorsal surfaces also cleaned up and rescribed where needed.

y4mucSwFP3VIMTfEjdqnSVeFgRx5F4sMZt8Agd0j

The perfect alignment tool... who would have thought that the humble Mr. Colour paint pot was so versatile?? :D :giggle:

y4mKadsj_KBU1Czjwp410HXahs0mzU0PvButcpOA

That's all from me for today... I'm off to rest my tired eyes and bones...

• Like 8

Very nice progress! I also have some plans on Hellcat (Academy 1/72 with aftermarket). The shame is like in case with Polikarpov - very little is visible in cockpit afterwards :sad:.

Good luck anyway!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SarmaT said:

Very nice progress! I also have some plans on Hellcat (Academy 1/72 with aftermarket). The shame is like in case with Polikarpov - very little is visible in cockpit afterwards :sad:.

Good luck anyway!

Thank you.  I look forward to seeing your work with the Hellcat in the one true scale :D

• Haha 2

Well done Russ !!

You're on your way to a wonderful Hellcat !! 

This Eduard kit is a good one !!

I commited 2 last year... hum well....

In fact an Hellcat and a Gannet !!

Sincererly.

CC

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well done Russ !!

You're on your way to a wonderful Hellcat !! 

This Eduard kit is a good one !!

I commited 2 last year... hum well....

In fact an Hellcat and a Gannet !!

Sincererly.

CC

Thank you CC!! I’m looking forward to getting the level issue sorted out and then nailing the wings on… :D

• Like 1