Airfix Fairey Battle, upgraded!

So good to finally see an accurate 1/72 Battle on display, all be it needing four long years to complete and the patience of an elephant to see this one through. The final result is a beautiful example of what can be achieved with a clear vision, lots of dedication and a never ending supply of modelling skill. Fantastic result, its been well worth it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simply beautiful. The time and effort put into this build is to be commended and it really has paid off.  The only thing I would say is that you need more close up shots of the stunning undercarriage in the RFI. 🤩

top notch work. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny.

• Like 2

Wow, 4 years. What a journey! You've transformed this kit completely, there is not much left from the original. I really envy you for your patience 👏

After such a monumental effort, Airfix should announce a new tool kit soon, right 😂

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Many thanks again to all who have liked and posted comments. Your feedback is really appreciated.

This one really was a labour of love. For some reason I have a big soft spot for this aircraft, and I do love taking a substandard kit and seeing what I can do with it!

Ian 

On 9/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, Brandy said:

I do love taking a substandard kit and seeing what I can do with it!

Which made the build thread all the more enjoyable and the beautiful result all the more impressive.  Great job Ian.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed! I think the cammo execution is top class!

You had to be perhaps the bravest of the brave to fly in to combat in one of these! Absolutely no match for their adversaries, especially during the Battle Of France in 1940. But these aircrew still flew their sorties. Respect!

• Like 1

On 16/08/2022 at 14:16, Brandy said:

After just over 4 years on and off (more off than on!) I have finally put this one in the cabinet. 

It represents Battle P2332 (the same subject as the kit) from 12 Sqn RAF, based at Amifontaine in mid 1940.

On 10th May, 4 of the Squadron's aircraft attacked German forces, 3 were lost.

On 12th May an order was issued to destroy the bridges over the canals at Maastricht - the whole Squadron volunteered! 6 crews were chosen - One had to turn back early due to technical problems, and the other 5 were lost. P2332, crewed by Flying Officer Norman M Thomas, Sgt BTP Carey, and Cpl TS Campion led the attack on the Vroenhoven bridge which was damaged, but not destroyed. F/O Thomas crashed near the bridge, all the crew survived and were taken prisoner. Pilot Officer Davy in the 2nd aircraft crashed on the way home.

The attack on the Veldwezelt bridge was led by Flying Officer Garland, with Pilot Officer McIntosh and Sgt Morland following. All 3 aircraft were shot down with only McIntosh's crew surviving as POWs. F/O Garland and his observer Sgt Gray were posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, the first such award in WWII to RAF personnel, although for some reason the gunner, Leading Aircraftsman LR Reynolds received no award.

On 14th May another attack was carried out. 5 out of 6 aircraft were shot down, and the Battle was withdrawn from daylight operations.

Here is P2332 after that fateful raid.

52289536451_7e0613ee09_c.jpg

Taken from the internet. Copyright, if any, unknown. If anyone objects I'll be happy to either take it down or add credit.

This is my little tribute to those brave men.

The WIP is here, showing how I went about turning one of Airfix's most notorious kits into something resembling what it should be. It's not perfect by any means, but I am very happy with the result!

To sum up, the fuselage, wings, and tail were all corrected for shape and dimensions. The wings were raised by a couple of mm (I didn't actually measure the amount, just matched to the plans) and the wheel wells, bomb cells, and landing lights were moved inboard to their correct positions. The interior is scratch built with the help of an instrument panel and seat modified from a MK I Hurricane resin set from CMK. The main gear fairings, rear radiator fairing, and gun mount are push moulded, Falcon vac canopy, PE landing lights, Mini World guns, and aftermarket exhausts for a MK I Hurricane.

Tailwheel is a resin replacement intended for the Airfix Defiant, the main landing gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors are CAD designed and printed by myself. Prop is the kit part, modified for the correct length and detailed.

I hope you like her!

52289728459_ecca9a751a_c.jpg

52289457386_43c7d9fbd4_c.jpg

52289464273_6f30ac942f_c.jpg

52289728419_14fc080d74_c.jpg

52289523231_afc4cbb866_c.jpg

52288550302_fc78b425c0_c.jpg

52289530968_4809329d86_c.jpg

52289523171_e1795eca20_c.jpg

52288550217_7a85fc7bb9_c.jpg

52289530898_dfe614deb8_c.jpg

52288550187_59edd71e78_c.jpg