Anycubic Photon Mono X resin residue issue water based resin

lesthegringo

Hi all, I am using the water washable Eelegoo grey resin on my Mono X, and despite playing around with the settings quite a bit, I am geting reasonable prints, but with quite a large over print for the first mm or so, then after that the outer edges are left with half cured resin as a sort of gellid residue. As a result I am having to mechanically scrape off the gelly stuff, which can be pretty tenacious during the clean up phase, followed by tedious manual removal of the over printed layers.

It is set to 0.075 layer height, with only 3 bottom layers, with base layer height is 30 secs with 1.7 for the subsequent layers.

Can anyone advise on this? I produce mainly mechanical parts printing direct to the buildplate so that I guarantee a flatt(ish) back face so reducing the over print would be very helpful, even if I have to scrape off the goo. while I do get overprint (do they call it 'elephant foot'?) on other resins it is not as pronounced and I certainly don't get the half cured goo. The thing is, a) it is vastly less stinky, b) cleanup with water is so much less unpleasant and c) you can't buy 3D printer resins here so I am stuck with what I have

Cheers

Les

The mono X has a setting to turn down the power of the uv light under the screen. I use about 70%.

You'll find it in the settings on the printer menu.  I think that is causing your jelly issue. The over size first layers (elephants foot) is a side effect of the longer exposure needed to get the print to hold the plate. There isn't a way I know of to reduce this. It just needs some sanding to remove it or use print supports to raise the part off the print plate.

Hope this helps.

Stuart