Help with 1/72 Sopwith Woodcock with missing fuselage half

phat trev

I have a Pegasus Hawker Woodcock kit but it has a major issue...  Only one fuselage side is in the box 😢   Looking at ways around this issue,  my first thought was to get a replica (in reverse) of the only side available. Hmm,  can anyone relate and how easy is it to get a single part made? 

14 hours ago, phat trev said:

Hmm,  can anyone relate and how easy is it to get a single part made? 

thread referred to

but I also recommend this

1216.jpg

https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=1216

download here

https://rclibrary.co.uk/download_title.asp?ID=1216

Old but still fascinating,  lots of different techniques explained.    Given Pegasus reputation, it maybe easier   to just build a new fuselage, see the section on various methods in the above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trev

I scratch built a 1/72 scale Woodcock many moons ago (before Pegasus produced their kit), using the Alfred Granger Data Plan Woodcock booklet drawings. They're especially useful because of the fuselage cross sections. I used an Airfix Bulldog engine and mount and wheels. My model didn't survive house moves, but I retained all of the parts and started a rebuild/renovation a year or so ago.

I'll try and post some pics (not mastered a different method since Photobucket changed)

Cheers

Al 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

Just attempted to post images from Dropbox...unsuccessfully.

Cheers

Al

I don't think you can. Images must be somewhere publically accessible online, ideally a photo hosting site.  I use Flickr, find it works well.   

lets see

OK, I just checked, 

Dropbox, goto  image, right click image, select copy image address, paste that into post, get a load of text, and then the image shows.  Do NOT use the insert image box.

Proof.  

p.jpeg

1 hour ago, phat trev said:

I am attempting Pinterest to hold images, let's see. 

you can cut and paste them in, I occasionally find something relevant there and do that.   But, I find Flickr works well. 

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

But, I find Flickr works well. 

What Troy says, it works very well, I use it & can drop images from my camera to the computer, edit/resize them, upload to Flickr & post them here in just a few minutes. It is pretty much instinctive. 

Steve.

On 15/08/2022 at 22:17, phat trev said:

I have a Pegasus Hawker Woodcock kit but it has a major issue...  Only one fuselage side is in the box 😢   Looking at ways around this issue,  my first thought was to get a replica (in reverse) of the only side available. Hmm,  can anyone relate and how easy is it to get a single part made? 

Try contacting someone with a 3D printer. Some who own these printers can be helpful whilst others are not

Basically and generally the two sides of the fuselage are the same.

They could scan the side you have, flip it and print out that mirrored part

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A bit late, but photos of my 1/72 scale scratchbuilt Woodcock (from the Alfred Grainger Plans)...

smashed in a tin after various house moves..

52672935667_efbff9b9cd.jpg

Main components...

52673722474_e6e8a27408.jpg

Removing the plastic card skin from the fuselage

52673932443_c2df0e5567.jpg

Start of the rebuild: a transfer for the instrument panel 

52673434641_50db431368.jpg

Sizing the instrument panel:

52673724014_d17c159edd.jpg

The rebuild is current a project on hiatus, but it will get sorted one day!

Cheers

Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I have a 3D resin printer and would love to help, the ‘scan and mirror’ option suggested by Black Knight isn’t really a ‘home set-up’ option as yet.  If you watched the first Hornby series on TV recently you would have seen the work required to correct the the 3D scan LIDAR anomalies - and they used very expensive, professional equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

My Albacore thread does drone on, so this is the post that explains what I did. You can also add to step 3 "Add card shelves to stick your wings and tailplanes to". Fill up as much space as you can between the bulkheads with balsa or even foam packing to minimise the amount of filler you need. Auto body filler or milliput is what you need, it's too thick for solvent-based fillers.

I won't drone on again so I will leave it there, although I'm happy to help if you want to go that route.

And if you aren't comfortable with it, we have just the right GB for you to do it in :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Trev

What Adrian says is spot on

Troy's reference to Harry Woodman's book is also really good value

This isn't like signing up to be the next professor of the Dark Arts at Hogwarts !

You don't have to be afraid of not getting a perfect result with your first attempt - You are just trying to create a shape over which to mold a new part.

This won't require any expensive or fancy equipment either

You already have one half of the shape you need to recreate - all you need now is a base in plastic card the same shape as the side on profile of the fuselage

If ind it helpful to stroke a straight line from the centre of the propeller to a fixed point on the tail end of the fuselage This can be your Datum against which you mark the mid point of your profile shape 

Next grab some light cardboard a bit of manila folder (ordinary office file) will do

Find a bit of thick solder wire bout 2 inches long (copper wire is sometimes OK - you just want something that will hold a shape ) A profile gauge is handy if you have one 

Identify a point on the side profile and lay the solder wire down inside your existing fuselage half at the same point and press it down to get the shape of the interior.

When you're done lift this out carefully and transfer the outside shape to the cardboard

When you have lifted (made) the required number of profiles you can use these cardboard profiles to make plastic card half sections which you glue to your side profile you can then build your mold from there

It really isn't hard !

It is critical to remember that your mold must be slightly smaller all round when compared to the shape you are duplication to allow for the thickness new material

David

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2023 at 00:52, davidl said:

lay the solder wire down inside your existing fuselage half

I would tend to go round the outside of the fuselage because the plastic can be quite thick and uneven in a short run kit. When tracing the shape, keep just inside the line to allow for the thickness of the moulded material - the taper on a pencil point will probably be enough, and when you cut out the former don't forget to allow for the width of the profile card that you will be sticking the former to.

Regards,

Adrian