Gun nose B-25's in RAF service

Spitfires Forever

Hello all

As I was perusing available decals for a 1/48 B-25G (of which there is little available) I came across decals for an RAF gun nose B-25 which sparked my curiosity thusly this post. I have not been able to find much at all regarding the use of these aircraft in RAF inventory so I put it to those who may have some pertainent information on this subject. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers 

The decals for an H model are available for supposed D Day version. I found it odd that I have never run across any reference to gun nose models in books on the B-25. I imagine short of the 75mm cannon several P-47's could duplicate the same amount of damage plus German flak and fighters could decimate the low flying strangers. I also think that the main target of the B-25H and G models would be airfields and trains, dicey targets for the quicker fighter bombers let alone a lumbering twin like the B-25 or 26 but that is my humble estimation.

Cheers

Hi

can't get to my notes but at least one was at the GRU at exeter

cheers

jerry

link to old thread 

Edited by brewerjerry

Nice photos of a very rare bird. I imagine the RAF found the B-25H was neither fish nor foul and superfluous to their needs. Regardless it would have been most interesting if the aircraft were actually used in combat even if it were just a few sorties. At least the Hurricane Mk IID got some limited use in the anti-shipping role but we can save that for another day. Besides, I am sure there is a thread somewhere on that subject. Thanks to all for your participation on this topic.

FR208, FR209 ex 42-64822 and 23, both taken on charge 17 July 1943.  FR209 reported to have flown the Atlantic on 9 July, FR208 on 12 July 1943.

No record of disposal for FR208, FR209 ultimately became 6819M initially SOC 31 October 1946, but Brought Back On Charge.

Air Arsenal North America has a photograph of FR209 at the Central Flying School stated to be in 1947, no camouflage and a new glazed nose

Liked this bit in The Secret Years: “FR208 fired at least once on the ground: the results are well remembered as the 15lb dummy shell burst through the butts and was last seen crossing a main road half a mile away” 

Air Britain’s RAF serials record FR208 becoming maintenance serial 4823M in Feb 45 after service with A&AEE and AFDU.  FR209 passed from A&AEE to Empire Central Flying School and then Meteological Research Flight, not becoming 6891M until 13 Sep 1951 (so almost certainly the last Mitchell flying in British markings).

@Hornet133‘s photos answer a query I had on the earlier thread.  I find it hard to see the code letters as in anything other than white.

BTW slapping the Italeri gun nose onto the altogether superior Airfix B-25 kit isn’t straightforward: differences in both height and width.  CMK do an amazingly expensive B-25G nose conversion for the Airfix kit if money is no object.

Edited by Seahawk

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Liked this bit in The Secret Years: “FR208 fired at least once on the ground: the results are well remembered as the 15lb dummy shell burst through the butts and was last seen crossing a main road half a mile away” 

Air Britain’s RAF serials record FR208 becoming maintenance serial 4823M in Feb 45 after service with A&AEE and AFDU.  FR209 passed from A&AEE to Empire Central Flying School and then Meteological Research Flight, not becoming 6891M until 13 Sep 1951 (so almost certainly the last Mitchell flying in British markings).

@Hornet133‘s photos answer a query I had on the earlier thread.  I find it hard to see the code letters as in anything other than white.

BTW slapping the Italeri gun nose onto the altogether superior Airfix B-25 kit isn’t straightforward: differences in both height and width.  CMK do an amazingly expensive B-25G nose conversion for the Airfix kit if money is no object.

The nose fit in general is a problem with the AM kit. Maybe Tamiya will make one someday at a reasonable price...and maybe the leprechauns will leave me a pot of gold next to my magic garden gnome!

Cheers

• Haha 1