Question about F6F-5K drone

Martin06

Hello, I'm going to build a 1/72 F6F-5K and I have a question about its cockpit, because I don't think a remote controled drone has a normal cockpit with a seat and belts etc...

So my question is: do those drones had a normal cockpit or a ''cannibalized'' cockpit?

Thanks 

Sometimes they were use in pilot controlled mode, so majority of instruments should be on place, I think (but it is only mine guess)

F6F_target_drone.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

The conversions had instruments and controls for post-maintenance check flights and to ferry them to another location if required. Also see https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/11/f6f-drones.html

The bigger, purpose-built drones line the TDN and TDR also had rudimentary cockpits for the same purpose. Also see http://evanflys.com/tdr-1

• Like 2

On 15/08/2022 at 19:14, JWM said:

Sometimes they were use in pilot controlled mode, so majority of instruments should be on place, I think (but it is only mine guess)

F6F_target_drone.jpg

Regards

J-W

I believe the above is a trainer, not a drone .

Wulfman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

I believe the above is a trainer, not a drone .

Wulfman

Not all aircraft painted yellow are trainers. This F6F-3 has been modified with a raised tail wheel and the remote-control antenna arrangement, the exterior changes for converting it to a drone. The marking on the vertical fin is X-2, probably identifying it as the second conversion for test and evaluation. The marking on the cowling is a bee (specifically a drone) festooned with antennas.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
  • Like 2