Spitfire XIV collective hysteria - FF-B on the bench

48 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

this one is chasing the V1

This will be the SEAC option, wheels down.

It’s actually the first one that will be chasing!

The reason the V1 vignette isn’t done is that the FROG V1 represents a prototype, not the production one. I’m torn between correcting it or not. Now that I have two V1s I will just build one OOB to get it finished and do the right thing with a stand and a hair dryer, and then I can upgrade the other to the correct production one “later” (eg after I finish my Fairey Long Range and Empire builds…).

• Like 2

Nice paint job on the V1 Adrian. Mine were always black... well, that's what the illustration showed.

I'm on a bit of a catch up here, having thought you'd finished ages ago.

Looking forward to the next installment of one of my favourite Spitfires.

• Thanks 1

So here’s my first Spitfire chasing the V1:

0-C112-EFE-6-F2-C-4602-83-C8-D5-CAE1-F6-

I realise I couldn’t show it in a wing-tipping pose because the pilot is looking straight ahead! Bad planning. So I will do a final approach where the V1 is in the pilot’s eye-line.

According to the IWM, V-weapons caused more deaths in the slave labourers making them than the intended target population.

Proper pics tomorrow. And then I will press on with Spitfire #2 in SEAC scheme (and the P-38s and Sd. Kfz 234).

• Like 13

Excellent work Adrian, I missed this project but have enjoyed reading through the whole thread tonight. Seeing these ancient kits turned into something special is fascinating. Looks like great fun too! :)

Richie

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

And then I will press on with Spitfire #2 in SEAC scheme (and the P-38s and Sd. Kfz 234).

Some healthy multi-tasking going on here - V1 is looking lovely Adrian!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Spitfire XIV collective hysteria - FF-B on the bench

I stole my wife’s hairdryer:

5-D81-B920-245-C-44-A7-894-A-12-D2-F13-F

F1-BF29-BC-4-EF8-4957-9-CDC-91-E0240737-

CCEF7252-A341-4595-AD49-344963107-BF1.jp

I did remember to turn the heat off. Trouble is, if it’s on strong enough to turn the propeller, even on the lowest setting it’s also strong enough to make everything wobble and move around! 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I stole my wife’s hairdryer:

5-D81-B920-245-C-44-A7-894-A-12-D2-F13-F

F1-BF29-BC-4-EF8-4957-9-CDC-91-E0240737-

CCEF7252-A341-4595-AD49-344963107-BF1.jp

I did remember to turn the heat off. Trouble is, if it’s on strong enough to turn the propeller, even on the lowest setting it’s also strong enough to make everything wobble and move around! 

Fantastic. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

it’s also strong enough to make everything wobble and move around! 

I'm sure the pilot can cope!

Looks super!!!

Future project?

y4m9BxGfjLaXZnDINwdsGAAKPFVUTuyVBIm1oQW6

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Back to that second Spitfire FF-B.

To my shame, having advised @Zephyr91 not to go over the top on details on kits with dodgy canopies, I failed to heed my own advice:

934-C5978-E329-43-BC-962-E-47446-AECEF08

I think I might look at options for open canopies. All the relevant Falcon canopies I have are too big (designed for the Fujimi kit), so I'm using the Airfix Spitfire IX canopy, which is pretty distorting. I have the option of cutting it up and plunge moulding the sliding bit to have it open, or I might raid my Eduard Spitfire IX box to see if there's a suitable spare in there (or I could leave the Eduard untouched until I sell it on or die, which is the likely fate of all the "nice" kits in my collection).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Only just caught KP with this build for some reason. Re the colour scheme on AP-D. Not near my books, but I have a feeling that the ADGB fighters on anti Diver duties were not required to have black and white stripes. Presumably they were not flying over the invasion area and I understand the  aircraft were cleaned and tuned to get the best performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris beat me to it. Clearly an open canopy is required with all that lovely detail.

41 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

until I sell it on or die, which is the likely fate of all the "nice" kits in my collection

More home truths Adrian. The fate that awaits much of my 'collection' I fear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Re the colour scheme on AP-D.

Sadly, this is the picture that's keeping me up at night. It clearly shows stripes under the fuselage - to your point, it may be that they had less striping than cross channel aircraft, but I've just dodged the question and kept it clean for now.

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

More home truths Adrian.

I just don't enjoy building nice kits! I feel ridiculously guilty about not living up to their high standards. I did enjoy the Sword G.55 though, so there may be hope for me yet...

And thanks gents for the nice words about the cockpit. I had a nice afternoon doing it. If it still looks OK after painting, I will investigate my options for more visibility.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

If it still looks OK after painting, I will investigate my options for more visibility.

Oh go on.  Please do!      And regarding your note above, don't be ashamed!  It was very helpful advice which, if you remember, I totally forgot to take  :rofl:

Rob

• Haha 2