Royal Navy Merlins

andyretro

Hi All,

New to the forum, so apologies if this is basic or covered elsewhere!

I've been thinking about doing a helicopter rather than plane for a change, and settled on the Royal Navy Merlin in some form.

My basic understanding is that there were 30 HM.1s, they all got upgraded to HM.2 and look pretty much identical (except the few with Crowsnest AEW kit). And then the Navy inherited 25 HC.3/A from the RAF, and they've all now been upgraded to HC.4/A. However, I'm sure there's more to it than this!

I was wondering if there were obvious differences externally (or indeed internally) between an Anti-Submarine Warfare HM.1 and HM.2 (Crowsnest being the most obvious), and then again between the Commando Transport RAF HC.3/A and Royal Navy HC.3i/4/A?

Using the Revell/Italeri 1:72 Merlin as a starting point, what modification, if any would be necessary to do all variants?

I may also do an RAF Merlin, but that's easier with only 1 real variant :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Oooh my there's a few things to answer here. 

Firstly, I'll cover some of the common differences between the HM1/HM2 and HC3/HC4. 

The early Merlins had a different cockpit display, consisting of 6 display screens, see below

Merlin-HM2-046.jpg

On the later variants HM2 and HC4, they now have 5 display screens and two touch screens, see below. 

Merlin-HM2-060.jpg

Old variants of the 101/Merlin had a teetering tail rotor (TTR), this has now been replaced with a fully articulated tail rotor (ATR). To the best of my knowledge, all existing model kits 72 and 48, include the earlier teetering tail rotor only. The tail rotor blades are different, at the blade root, on the articulated tail rotor.

I believe all the above covers the "common" differences.

HM1 HM2 

Now, differences between the HM1 and HM2 (plus crows nest). Unfortunately,  I'm not particularly up to speed on the changes between HM1 and HM2, aside from the changes detailed above. As far as I can recall, the changes were mainly to the avionics systems, rather than the airframe themselves. What I can add is that ANY HM2 can be fitted with the crowsnest gear, it's all roll fit.

Obviously, the crows nest radar is attached to the side, plus a load of fairings for wiring. The crowsnest equipment includes radar stuff in the cabin and a large double console for two radar operators sat (facing aft) immediately aft of the cockpit (there is a little door/divider on the starboard side of the console between the rest of the cabin).

The Mk2 has wing mirrors, the Mk1s didn't necessarily. 

HC4 HC4A

There are few significant differences between the Mk4 and Mk4a. The only one that springs to mind is the hole in the floor of the HC4 (not present on a),  for external load lifting. The 4As were the Danish troop transport version,  therefore not fitted with the heavyweight floor and cargo hook bay. I can't quite recall if the 4A has an extra fuel tank (and associated gravity refuel point). 

HC3 HC4 

Aside from the new cockpit display, mentioned above, all the HC4 (and A) are fitted for (but not all with) main and tail folding. All have the hinged tail, not all have the folding main rotor head.

There are numerous changes to avionics and various sensors/aerials, too many to list.

Summary

Broadly, a HM1 kit can be converted into a 2, and a HC3 to 4. Aside from the interior avionic changes, there are multiple aerial and sensor changes. 

• Like 3

I am building the Revell Navy Merlin. The decals are just falling apart as soon as I try to move them from the backing sheet.

Anyone else has this trouble with the kit?

Only used the interior decals so far, but they all appear the same.

On 15/08/2022 at 15:37, andyretro said:

Hi All,

New to the forum, so apologies if this is basic or covered elsewhere!

I've been thinking about doing a helicopter rather than plane for a change, and settled on the Royal Navy Merlin in some form.

My basic understanding is that there were 30 HM.1s, they all got upgraded to HM.2 and look pretty much identical (except the few with Crowsnest AEW kit). And then the Navy inherited 25 HC.3/A from the RAF, and they've all now been upgraded to HC.4/A. However, I'm sure there's more to it than this!

I was wondering if there were obvious differences externally (or indeed internally) between an Anti-Submarine Warfare HM.1 and HM.2 (Crowsnest being the most obvious), and then again between the Commando Transport RAF HC.3/A and Royal Navy HC.3i/4/A?

Using the Revell/Italeri 1:72 Merlin as a starting point, what modification, if any would be necessary to do all variants?

I may also do an RAF Merlin, but that's easier with only 1 real variant :)

Cheers,

Andrew

There were 44 HM.1 (ZH821-ZH864) of which 30 were upgraded to HM.2. You will find the serials of the HM.2 here.

http://www.ukserials.com/results.php?serial=ZH

35 minutes ago, I Dole said:

The main problem I have had with this kit is that, left to their own devices, the fuselage side inserts sit slightly too deep in their recesses.  On my second kit I was aware of the issue but hoped to get round it by fitting them very carefully.  I was wrong. I think some 5 or 10 thou plastic strip in the locating grooves is the way to go.

You, in the other hand, may be a less kack-handed modeller.  (I’ve never heard of anyone else having the problem.)

Yes, I had the same thing with the fuselage sides and have heard others on this forum say it too.

As you say, shimming pushes them out, but there is still a gap to fill.

Haven't heard anyone else talk about decal probs.

Given that I'm totally incapable of scratch building, I have a couple more questions!

Is anyone aware of a HM.2 cockpit upgrade/additional aerial kits (PE?) as mentioned by wellsprop and Evalman? Or a crows nest addition (external and internals as mentioned by wellsprop)?

Also an HC.3A kit for the nose dimple etc?

Also too as well any HC.4/A aftermarket decals?

Xtradecal do a set for the EH101/Merlin X72279. It covers versions with and without the rear ramp and includes RAF, RN and RN ex-RAF schemes.

As the cockpit is all black, it is really hard to see the sorts of things that changed in the HM1 to HM2 upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 6:25 AM, andyretro said:

Given that I'm totally incapable of scratch building, I have a couple more questions!

Is anyone aware of a HM.2 cockpit upgrade/additional aerial kits (PE?) as mentioned by wellsprop and Evalman? Or a crows nest addition (external and internals as mentioned by wellsprop)?

Also an HC.3A kit for the nose dimple etc?

Also too as well any HC.4/A aftermarket decals?

Air Graphics was working on a conversion/detail set for the Merlin I believe, cannot remember what scale though.

Couple of pictures showing some of the more obvious external differences between the HM.1 and HM.2 Merlins

52325478970_6b5bd590e4_k.jpgAW101 Merlin HM.1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

52325038006_695b31de5f_5k.jpgAW101 Merlin HM.2 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

As can be seen in the pictures the HM.2 has an extra Pitot and revised ECM antennas on the nose and sponsons and also fittings for the Defensive Aids suite

Edited by dolphin38

I’m intrigued; anyone know why the additional pitot head?  Doesn’t seem likely that it can have been an accuracy issue; the HM1 would never have been released to service with dodgy airspeed indication - and on any case, the second one is right next to the first, so any pressure / airflow snags would affect both heads.  The twin heads look significantly larger, too.

There also appear to be two new panels above the radar / under the door on the HM2.

I’m still sad I never got to fly one (other than a 30-minute wazz in the Sim just before I left the RN).

On 8/17/2022 at 7:47 AM, I Dole said:

I am building the Revell Navy Merlin. The decals are just falling apart as soon as I try to move them from the backing sheet.

Only used the interior decals so far, but they all appear the same.

Try Model Art decals they have a sheet covering HM2 Merlins with Squadron badges& stencils. 

HC3/3A and HC4/4A

Please see the other topic which is currently live 

The Royal Navy has flown all four variants.

As this topic sets out, the differences between the HC3 and HC3A were quite significant, both internally and externally.  They were designed for different customers for different roles.  The external differences include  the nose cone that was such a distinctive feature of the HC3A,the type of rescue hoist, the way the cabin port door opened, as well as the cargo hoist, refuelling point and cabin window arrangements.

Besides introducing a ship optimisation package to enable the aircraft to operate more effectively from ships in the maritime environment, the Merlin Life Sustainment Programme (MLSP) eliminated most of the differences between the two variants but there are still some residual differences between the HC4 and HC4A, which I have looked at in the topic.

I've relied heavily on the following briefing by Key Aero https://www.key.aero/article/commando-merlin