Bandai B-Wing 1:72, but I ran out of white paint

Hi all,

In an effort to reduce my quarantine pile of shame, I started this lovely Bandai B-Wing even though I knew I didn't have enough white paint. Then I thought "Well why do I need to paint it exactly like the film?" The answer is, I don't! So I'm painting it red and it will have yellow and orange chevrons and other markings. I've built it in sub-assemblies and I'm painting all the sub-assemblies separately. The kit itself is really nice. I only had a couple of small seams that needed to be puttied.

Critiques and suggestions welcome.

Apologies for the Google Photos link.

Google Photos Link

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement all.

neil5208 thanks for the warning. I haven't test fitted the gun into the pod yet. I'll be sure to check it before I glue.

Pete In Lincs, Brave? maybe, Idiotic? quite possibly. I have painted a lot of grey models over the last couple of years and I really wanted to do something different. the lack of enough white paint was all the excuse I needed to go nuts with this one. As for the images, all those images are about 150KB give or take. That's nothing. But I take your point, in future I'll compress them a little to get them down around 100KB.

Thom216 I have no Idea who the Crimson Drakons are. I assume something from the expanded universe. So yeah, sure. I don't have a backstory here, I just want to paint it with bold colours.

Arthur Dent, I haven't seen Rebels. I sold check it out. I think the inspiration started when I saw a photo of  Red Tails P-51 with the red wingtips and tail and yellow bands along the wings. I didn't want to go bear aluminium (I have a Razor Crest for that) so I went full red. The yellow and orange trimmings will follow soon.

• Like 2

Masking and Painting chevrons. After I had completed this and took a look I realized that the wing chevrons are oriented the wrong way. It will look odd with the wings folded. But it's ok. I'm fine with it. So now I just need to clean up a few paint leaks and I can move on to the next phase.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

I'm gonna call this one done. It's a little dirtier than I intended, but I'm not great with washes. Well, I'm not great at getting the wash off the areas I don't want it. Anyway, I like a dirty girl and she's dirty.

I just need to give her a spray of matte to get rid of the glossiness but other than that, she's done.

And yes, that is indeed a cat in the background. It's Chester, wondering what the hell his human servant is doing with some stupid piece of plastic when there's cats that obviously need petting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ldk6TzPG_o.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 9

I should point out that although this kit is really great, as @neil5208 said the bottom gun pod was a freakin' nightmare to get to fit. I sanded, I chopped, I cut bits of the gun off to try to get it to fit and after a couple of hours I just gave up..

Great finish! I just started the Bandai B-Wing this Sunday, nice to know there will be fitting issues with the lower gun pod. I was planning to paint the different color sections separately and then just assemble but it may not go as expected..

I applaud the decision to go for a custom paint scheme! That's the fun part of scifi builds, I think. And yours has turned out great, it reminds me of the ships from the Homeworld series.

• Thanks 1