The orange yellow on Culver drone - is it more orange or more yellow? And few more Q.

JWM

Hi,

In stash I have the Pavla Culver PQ 14 kit.  It looks  like a fast build model, but it wait there for more than 10 years because of some doubts I have on it...

The WW2 drone Culver PQ14 was said to be painted in orange-yellow. The majority of color photos existing in Net are for the museum machine show it in red, but this is known exception.

https://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2003/3021.jpg

The flying one is just orange. https://m5.paperblog.com/i/221/2219572/culver-pq-14atd2c-1-L-IhFXbw.jpeg

On the box of Airmodel kit it is just yellow

https://www.net-maquettes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Airmodel-AM-7004-300x163.jpg

So my question is - how much orange was this yellow? 

BTW I am also curios about the use of Culvers for shooting training. How many of them were actually shot down? How many flight they did in average? Were they repaired when not  crashed? Were any traces of repairs seen? All this could be useful for proper weathering...

I have found set of photos of machine with a tactical number "7" besides the serial one. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlE2bEnDhvvstP4gXqcpv 

Any comments on this particular machine (or on individual markings on Culvers during  WW2 in general) would be appreciated.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Right now there is another thread on Hellcat drone, and that made me search for photos of it.  Amonog many others I have found that one 

F6F_target_drone.jpg

It looks like"orange yellow" - likely the same as on PQ 14. How do you think?

Regards

J-W

I smell another color rabbit hole :)

The drones were produced between 1942 and 50.

• Around 1933 US Navy issued porcelain enamel on steel plates as standards, which does include Orange Yellow (and funnily Lemon Yellow too)
  • In 1943 Navy issues ANA bulletins, those include Ana 614: Orange Yellow
  • In 1950 government issued famous TC-C-595 which has Orange Yellow 13538 (or 33538 if you prefer flat). This one up there looks glossy.

Orange Yellow | Ana 614 | 13538 | 33538, as measured by spectrophotometer from samples given by Official United States Aircraft Colors 1908-1933 by Monogram.

100x100100x100100x100100x100

Pick your poison.

It's orange. No it's yellow! No it's banana :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Pick your poison.

It's orange. No it's yellow! No it's banana

Many thanks! I will take my portion... The first one (pre war Orange Yellow) looks like a Humbrol 24 with a tinny add of fresh green (banana!), the others requires some red pigment...

Regards

J-W

59 minutes ago, JWM said:

Many thanks! I will take my portion... The first one (pre war Orange Yellow) looks like a Humbrol 24 with a tinny add of fresh green (banana!), the others requires some red pigment...

Regards

J-W

If you are in for color mixing I can provide you with spectrophotometer data and pigment matches for those.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I think on that machine it was red not orange, this is a restored AC tho even if I seem to recall of seeing a original color photo in approximately the same color

Culver_PQ-14_N2775.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

If you are in for color mixing I can provide you with spectrophotometer data and pigment matches for those.

Many thanks - I will not go that deeply . Some people says it is not good to mix up work and hobby and I am a physicist...  :) Let keep some margin of error...

Regards

J-W

30 minutes ago, JWM said:

Some people says it is not good to mix up work and hobby and I am a physicist...

I heard you are not supposed to have fun at work, there must be a rule against it somewhere but I could not find it.

You can always paint it PRU pink, or fluorescent red orange to make it look like safety cone on image before.

On 15/08/2022 at 10:07, JWM said:

The WW2 drone Culver PQ14 was said to be painted in orange-yellow. The majority of color photos existing in Net are for the museum machine show it in red, but this is known exception.

The Culver PQ-14As were used by the US Navy and painted in their standard drone colour scheme of gloss Insignia Red.  (Orange-Yellow aka Chrome Yellow, Insignia Yellow, etc was the Navy's official WW2 colour for target-TOWING aircraft.....).

A smaller number of PQ-14B were used by the USAAF. These should have been painted in their standard drone scheme of gloss International Orange, just like their most famous drone, the Bell RP-63, (but there seem to be few good photos of the Culvers) :

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196305/bell-p-63e-kingcobra/

Whatever that yellow Hellcat was, it was definitely 'non-standard' :

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/platzs-remotely-piloted-1144-hellcat 

The Navy definitely had no yellow Culvers and I doubt the Army did....

• Thanks 1