Vickers Vimy engines as mineshaft film props?

Quiet Mike

Just watching the old Dr Who film with Bernard Cribbins (RIP) as PC Campbell. I was most surprised to see these strange objects pop up in the mineshaft set ...

52285855329_9927a97eab_z.jpg

Dalek - Invasion Earth 2150AD by Mike, on Flickr

Yes, I thought they were too!

Then an even better view a few frames later.

52284608632_39e9dda837_z.jpg

Dalek - Invasion Earth 2150AD by Mike, on Flickr

I wish I had more info to go with this! Not sure where else to share this nugget of trivia, or who else would be interested.

Or to post here, or the sci-fi section 😆

• Like 6

Invasion Earth was shot at Shepperton. A list of films made there didn't reveal anything obvious, 

But You;re not alone. I watched the film a couple of years ago & noticed the cowlings too.

Did you spot the big Sugar Puffs poster in another shot? Guess who part sponsored the film...

• Haha 1

Just a speculation: the Vimy replica G-AWAU, which was built at Weybridge, flew in 1969. The Dr Who film was released Aug 1966. Is is possible that components such as cowlings were being mocked-up early in the Vimy build and were offered to the nearby film studio when surplus?

I seriously doubt that the RR engines are in the cowlings, given the flimsy-looking supports partly visible in the screenshots.

• Like 1

I very much doubt the engines are in there too, it's just the nacelles. I just find it strange they could have been dug out of a scrap yard just for this film set!

I'm really the later Star Wars generation, so maybe my eyes have just been tuned into spotting random surplus repurposed, like Jawas toting sawn off Lee Enfields and Stormtroopers lugging Lewis Guns and Sterlings about ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Invasion Earth was shot at Shepperton. A list of films made there didn't reveal anything obvious, 

But You;re not alone. I watched the film a couple of years ago & noticed the cowlings too.

Did you spot the big Sugar Puffs poster in another shot? Guess who part sponsored the film...

I loved the Morris J Type too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think that they were props left over from a never completed film about the Alcock and Brown Trans Atlantic flight. I believe that it would have starred John Mills.

There may be more  said about them if you  watch the YouTube  videos about the making of Dalek Invasion Earth 2150ad   on the channel Dalek63-88

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 9:32 PM, Quiet Mike said:

I very much doubt the engines are in there too, it's just the nacelles. I just find it strange they could have been dug out of a scrap yard just for this film set!

I'm really the later Star Wars generation, so maybe my eyes have just been tuned into spotting random surplus repurposed, like Jawas toting sawn off Lee Enfields and Stormtroopers lugging Lewis Guns and Sterlings about ...

and you'll see  parts of DH Vampires and Venoms in both Star Wars-A New Hope and Dalek invasion Earth 2150ad. Martin Baker Mk6's on the Millenium Falcon and in Dr Who in The Pirate Planet.

Edited by matti64
  • Like 1