Old Monogram SE5.a, 1/48 scale....FINI...

My first serious attempt at a WW1 aircraft. First attempt at rigging although I did do the Wright Flyer decades ago for my son.
I'm pleased with this, I have new found appreciation for artist that do these aircraft models all the time.

Having the WnW builds all over the www is a blessing but a bigger curse...

WIP found here:   

The ubiquitous bottom shot...

P1010050(7).jpg?width=undefined&height=u

While test fitting the landing gear, it looked a bit short and funky so I lowered the axle and that seemed to fix it.

P1010045(1).JPG?width=undefined&height=u

P1010044(1).JPG?width=undefined&height=u

(edited)_P1010007(6).png?width=undefined

(edited)_P1010012(6).png?width=undefined

(edited)_P1010010(6).png?width=undefined

I used as much of the original kit as possible, no aftermarket, scratched the interior and added a windscreen. I wanted to do Mannock's bird and was lucky enough to have someone send me some Revell decals for this kit.

P1010042(7).jpg?width=undefined&height=u

(edited)_P1010026(7).png?width=undefined

(edited)_P1010025(7).png?width=undefined

P1010043(6).jpg?width=undefined&height=u

P1010048(6).jpg?width=undefined&height=u

P1010047(7).jpg?width=undefined&height=u

This is the first kit I've revisited from my childhood that I've tackled with my adult modeling skills. Was much fun and I'm pleased with the results. Because of the intrinsic difficulties in building these things, aligning wings, rigging, interiors, etc..I now get why people appreciate the Eduard and Roden offerings. Biplanes already a challenge, why make it even more difficult starting with a 60-70 year old kit. That said, I am going to do the Aurora EIII and the Halberstadt CL II. I'll experiment with turnbuckles and other things another time. I had great fun with this especially in light of all the firsts for me.

P1010046(7).jpg?width=undefined&height=u

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

• Allan31 changed the title to Old Monogram SE5.a, 1/48 scale....FINI...

Outstanding, Allan -

I might be tempted to try this one again myself now I've seen what can be done with it ..........

Regards

Dave

Very convincing bipe workhorse!

I'm not a Great War aficionado (except for being a fan of Derek Robinson's War Story and Goshawk Squadron), but I can appreciate a superb model when I see one.

Incidentally, is the nice fog filter/soft focus effect intentional, or do you have perhaps a fingerprint on the front lens of your camera?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Things I learned: No matter how hard you try, no matter how many times you check, no matter how careful you are throughout the entire process, you can still glue the upper wing on slightly cocked.

I also learned, after exhausting all the careful ways of gently trying to coax the wing into the correct position, you can get really miffed and just grab and twist it, hearing all the struts cracking, and then re-glue back correctly....

You were right Spitty, something was off with the "shadows" setting. reshot and replaced some of the pics, thanks for the heads-up.