Will find myself an ocean, Sail into the blue - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish MK.I

A slight change of plan, instead of getting the control lines done I went for this instead.

5jDRhtS.jpg

Once the Dark Sea Grey on the last bit of PE is dry this will be mat coated which should take the shine of the rigging down.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

Hi Alistair

Good to see some rigging going on, you're a braver man than I to use the PE rigging.  If you damage any I will happily send you the PE rigging set from mine .

I will replace mine with Elastic thread (Prym Knitting in Elastic) which has the flat profile.  With that you can rig the whole thing in one or two sessions.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Great to be able to follow this. Thanks so much for sharing the process!

You're more than welcome.

If anyone learns anything from this then I'm chuffed.

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Alistair

Good to see some rigging going on, you're a braver man than I to use the PE rigging.  If you damage any I will happily send you the PE rigging set from mine .

I will replace mine with Elastic thread (Prym Knitting in Elastic) which has the flat profile.  With that you can rig the whole thing in one or two sessions.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris, both for your kind comments and very generous offer.

I got the remaining rigging on yesterday and painted the locking handles red.

diNYKod.jpg

I'm just waiting for the weather to die down a tad and I'll get a matt coat done on them.

Edit:

But as this has just arrived I may have some listening to do.

q3Zc8RF.jpg

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

A wee update.

This could be headed for the bin.

I spent 4 hours yesterday and 3 hours this morning trying to get an acceptable fit on the starboard wing and am finding it impossible.

The wing spar broke when the cat sat on it in the box a couple of months ago and there is also a twist in the wings that is entirely my own fault.

It's currently sitting on top of a cabinet in my bedroom with the top wing affixed with resin glue in the hope that this will be strong enough to allow me to correct the twist when gluing the bottom wing.

If that works then I have a lot of work to sort the bent rigging and the various bit of PE that broke off during my struggles.

I'll give an update tomorrow but at the moment I've really lost interest.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

I am sure a man of infinite resource and skill such as yourself will come up with a way of surmounting these obstacles. You’ve been going at this too long to give up now! Might be wise to turn your attention elsewhere for a couple of days though. 

Craig. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Sorry to hear that, Alistair. What a pity after all your hard work to make such a fine looking model. Sincerely hope this can be salvaged.

Niall R

Thanks Niall,

I'll give it a go but everything I've tried so far has just made the matter worse.

Not ruling anything out though.

With a clearer mind tomorrow I may come up with a plan.

5 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I am sure a man of infinite resource and skill such as yourself will come up with a way of surmounting these obstacles. You’ve been going at this too long to give up now! Might be wise to turn your attention elsewhere for a couple of days though. 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

I've put the thing through in the bedroom just so it's not staring at me.

I'll see what i can do but It's not looking good at the moment.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Alistair,  I hope you carry on with it and are able to sort, this is one reason I never use the PE rigging and go for the Prym.

If you PM me your address I will gladly send you up the Kit PE rigging set, although can I keep the sights. 

At least you can start with straight rigging again.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry to hear this Alistair,  I hope you carry on with it and are able to sort, this is one reason I never use the PE rigging and go for the Prym.

If you PM me your address I will gladly send you up the Kit PE rigging set, although can I keep the sights. 

At least you can start with straight rigging again.

Chris

Thanks for the kind offer Chris.

It's not the rigging that's the main problem.

It's trying to get a decent fit on the Starboard Wing.

If I can get something tomorrow I'll carry on but if not then i might just leave it and think about it later.

I had thought of making it a wingfold on the Starboard side but looking at the joints i would never get the bits out without destroying plastic.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Arg, what a shame. I guess the thing about struts and rigging by their very nature is they're designed to make a strong rigid section that will resist deformation until fracture. Sounds like you've done all the sensible things, I agree perhaps put the confounded thing aside for a little bit, make a nice fun Tamiya kit or something, and come back when it doesn't make you want to watch it slowly crumble in a waste compactor. 

I guess the rigging is the limiting factor? Perhaps there are certain bits that can be quietly snipped to allow the structure to move as necessary? Other than that I guess a bit of extra thin on the strut joins and maybe some heat when forming the lower wing into place?

I was going to suggest wing fold too, but sounds like a big do.. although one side could be somewhat hidden behind. All that lovely work on the fuselage and wings should be shown off somehow. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mark.au said:

Maybe take a break and build a shake and bake kit to completion?  Then, suitably refreshed by the break, you come back to the Swordfish on Saturday?

Thanks Mark,

I had decided after looking at the wing this morning that I was going to walk away for a good while and come back to it later.

I take it the Tamiya FRS.1 doesn't count as shake and bake then. :whistle:

9 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Sorry to hear about the setbacks. Maybe the community could help brainstorm options for you.

Thanks very much.

I'll get back to it some time in the future when I am of a better mind set.

5 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Arg, what a shame. I guess the thing about struts and rigging by their very nature is they're designed to make a strong rigid section that will resist deformation until fracture. Sounds like you've done all the sensible things, I agree perhaps put the confounded thing aside for a little bit, make a nice fun Tamiya kit or something, and come back when it doesn't make you want to watch it slowly crumble in a waste compactor. 

I guess the rigging is the limiting factor? Perhaps there are certain bits that can be quietly snipped to allow the structure to move as necessary? Other than that I guess a bit of extra thin on the strut joins and maybe some heat when forming the lower wing into place?

I was going to suggest wing fold too, but sounds like a big do.. although one side could be somewhat hidden behind. All that lovely work on the fuselage and wings should be shown off somehow. 

Andy

Thanks Andy,

The rigging has pinged off in enough places that I've got a join on both top and bottom, but it's holding.

There are some gaps that will need dealing with but I'll deal with them later.

I'll start up some thing else in the meantime.

In a side note I'm in serious danger of running out of Colourcoats Sky and they are sold out at the moment.

I'm assuming that's until the new 30ml tins come into use but i'll need to wait for that anyway.

I do have some AK Real Colours Sky but the shade is greener.

I do have some doubts about the accuracy of some of the AK Real Colour Stuff take their Light Aircraft grey for example. Not even close.

Thanks for all the kind words and this will be returned to in the future.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

Sorry to hear about your wows, an upbeat thought is try making a new model that starts with another letter of the alphabet…….. the last three kits all started with the letter S.   Sunderland - Swordfish - Sea Harrier. ……. 🥲

My advice would be to try F.   F-4 Phantom (Meng / ZM) or F-35 ( Tamiya  ) 😛

Though Bob would not advise a P,  and Carol V may start with a vowel.  😆

Keep ya chin up,  yours the ‘sarky’ one.    😺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hi Alistair,

Sorry to hear about your wows, an upbeat thought is try making a new model that starts with another letter of the alphabet…….. the last three kits all started with the letter S.   Sunderland - Swordfish - Sea Harrier. ……. 🥲

My advice would be to try F.   F-4 Phantom (Meng / ZM) or F-35 ( Tamiya  ) 😛

Though Bob would not advise a P,  and Carol V may start with a vowel.  😆

Keep ya chin up,  yours the ‘sarky’ one.    😺

I've taken your helpful and valuable advice and will be starting a Meteor later tonight.

Thanks for the punt in the right direction.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Gosh, how annoying. Taking a break and getting the mojo-meter back up with a different kit is probably the right approach.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

Stuff happens, as they say.

I'll give it a break and then come back some time in the future and see if it's salvageable.

Cheers,

Alistair

On 02/02/2023 at 07:37, AliGauld said:

I had thought of making it a wingfold on the Starboard side but looking at the joints i would never get the bits out without destroying plastic.

Alistair,

Sorry to hear your woes. With the wing joint do you need to remove the existing pieces or could you position the fold pieces over them? Hope you can resolve it - in the mean time I'd do as Mark suggests and bash out a quick mojo restorer,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Sorry to hear your woes. With the wing joint do you need to remove the existing pieces or could you position the fold pieces over them? Hope you can resolve it - in the mean time I'd do as Mark suggests and bash out a quick mojo restorer,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I will have a look see again at the wingfold when I get back to it, as that may be possible and I have PE to cover the wing fold areas and hopefully hide any extra parts.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2