Will find myself an ocean, Sail into the blue - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish MK.I

Last night I realised that I'd painted the wing roots in the top colours and not the shadow ones.

Out to the garage to correct what appears to be a theme on this build of painting the wrong colours on various bits.

Well, after some masking I headed out and sprayed some Slate Grey and Dark Sea Grey around the place.

Once that was done and dried more masking and Nato Black for the walkways.

After unmasking this.......

kAUTs1A.jpg

9PS5LpL.jpg

Not much for a days work but hey ho it's my own stupid fault.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

Alistair,

A small but important detail, and well worth correcting. Looking lovely,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

I don't actually mind you did this.

I just like any excuse to be seeing all of these wonderful colours in the same photo 🤓

Thanks, I think. ;)

The colours do look quite good together.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Alistair,  now you've done this lovely work you get to hide it under the small struts🙄

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Yeah, I realise that those struts are going to cover most of it up but some will be seen, judging by the size of this thing.

I'l' need to take a photo with a 1/72 to give some comparison.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

A small but important detail, and well worth correcting. Looking lovely,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

That's the third time on this thing that I've put the wrong colour down.

I think I should possibly stick to smaller subjects. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks, I think. ;)

The colours do look quite good together.

Thanks Chris,

Yeah, I realise that those struts are going to cover most of it up but some will be seen, judging by the size of this thing.

I'l' need to take a photo with a 1/72 to give some comparison.

Cheers,

Alistair

It certainly is a biggie, or is it a miniature bread bin and you are fooling us😉😄

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Spectacular Swordfishery.

Thanks Mark,

But be prepared for some less than spectacular work.

Yesterday was not a good day. The MRP Marking Blue and Yellow had arrived earlier last week and so I got the fuselage roundels masked up.

Now I don't know whether it was me being to quick between coats (most likely) or MRP being too hot but I had endless trouble with crazing and bubbling.

So much so that the centre red almost lifted out of the masking on it's own.

I knew there would be touch ups required as the Oramask did not play well with such a bumpy surface.

Next time on a similar one I'll try masking sheet.

Anyway these are the results.

531Hi5z.jpg

qWaKvFB.jpg

tff0TFy.jpg

Cox03SD.jpg

I'll attempt the touch ups and see how it goes but if not then I'll strip back and start again.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Leaving the masking issue to one side, the more I see of this project the more I am enjoying it.

You are going to end up with something lovely to behold at the end of it.

I know I keep saying it - those colours look so wonderful together 😍

Thanks WP,

I'm not feeling quite so optimistic about it at the moment but that will change.

There's nothing there can't be fixed.

Cheers,

Alistair

Oh no, what a shame. You can definitely fix it and as WP said you will end up with a fantastic model in the end. It is bitterly disappointing when paint reactions like that happen. 

I has a similar thing with WNW Sopwith Camel, it's still on the shelf 3 years later. I hope this beautiful Swordfish doesn't suffer a similar fate. It's far too good to suffer that fate.

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Ughhhh, that is one problem when "Spraying " your markings on an uneven surface.

Hope that your fingers get better mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I did ponder whether to just use the kit decals but decided against it.

Oh well, I'll just need get the touch ups done and hopefully all will be good.

9 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Oh no, what a shame. You can definitely fix it and as WP said you will end up with a fantastic model in the end. It is bitterly disappointing when paint reactions like that happen. 

I has a similar thing with WNW Sopwith Camel, it's still on the shelf 3 years later. I hope this beautiful Swordfish doesn't suffer a similar fate. It's far too good to suffer that fate.

Richie

Thanks Richie,

It was either me not leaving enough time between coats or being too heavy handed but I'll keep on trying until I get it working for me.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Oh well, I'll just need get the touch ups done and hopefully all will be good.

Hi Ali, if you are doing the touch ups with a brush I would advise experimenting first on a surface already painted with MRP paint. When they first came out they were so solvent heavy that brushing was impossible as the paint being touched in got dissolved. The recipe seems a little different now so it might not be a problem. I haven't tried retouching by brush with the newer batches yet. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Hi Ali, if you are doing the touch ups with a brush I would advise experimenting first on a surface already painted with MRP paint. When they first came out they were so solvent heavy that brushing was impossible as the paint being touched in got dissolved. The recipe seems a little different now so it might not be a problem. I haven't tried retouching by brush with the newer batches yet. 

Richie

Thanks for that,

I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Alistair,  what a shame about the masks not playing ball.  I am sure you'll be able to sort out fella and all will be looking rather splendid when sorted.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's nothing that can't be fixed with a little care and attention.

I just need to plan how i'm going to sort it.

I'll see what comes with daylight tomorrow.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Well, the masking didn’t quite perform to spec but I’m sure the touch ups will pose little  challenge to a man of your abilities.  

More concerning is the paint reaction, that would annoy me to no end - I admire your stoicism in dealing with that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Well, the masking didn’t quite perform to spec but I’m sure the touch ups will pose little  challenge to a man of your abilities.  

More concerning is the paint reaction, that would annoy me to no end - I admire your stoicism in dealing with that!

Thanks Mark,

Aye the paint reaction was really annoying as it looked really good as it went down.

It was only when it was cooking off in the house that it started and in the end i had to peel the red out and lightly sand to get it to work a second time.

Still, I've got form for sloshing thinners about and repainting, if it comes to that. :blush:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Fingers crossed for the roundels!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

First pass with the brushy thing.

ortUzyi.jpg

xbipNRY.jpg

There's still a little to do but I think I might just get away with it.

I should never have been disloyal to Colourcoats :sorry: and will be using them in future for this sort of thing.

Once there's some weathering and a matt coat on that will blend it all in.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8
  • Haha 1