Will find myself an ocean, Sail into the blue - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish MK.I

3 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Glad you've found a solution to your pee problems.

(Photo etch excision!)

Now you've really got us all looking forward to your Spitfire wip - can't wait. New Year build?

Q

Thanks Q,

I was thinking it was just a consequence of getting older. :D

I was going to start my big build on Christmas Eve as I have for the last couple of years so the Spit will be later in the New Year but not too late.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I was going to start my big build on Christmas Eve as I have for the last couple of years so the Spit will be later in the New Year but not too late.

The Spitfire isn’t your “big build” for 2023?!  Now I’m really intrigued!

You’re in for a great Christmas, you must have been a very good boy this year!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Swordfish wings look great!

Edited by mark.au
  • Thanks 1

I agree with everyone else, your wings look great 👍 

Whilst I've been eyeing up Airfix's new tool Spit, I've been wondering whether to sell my old tool Mk.Vb and all the aftermarket and buy the Mk.IXc, or just build the damn thing. It's not often I'll build the same aircraft more than one...

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I've had a fondle. Just to check that there's no shorts shots etc. 

I suspect the new 1/24 Spitfire us the most fondled model in the world. It really does look great, feels nice too! 😄

Your swordfish wings look good. Not sure how I missed this build until now. I usually follow biplane builds like a shadow. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

The Spitfire isn’t your “big build” for 2023?!  Now I’m really intrigued!

You’re in for a great Christmas, you must have been a very good boy this year!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Swordfish wings look great!

Oh it's nothing special.

Just a bigger aircraft. 2 years ago it was the Shackleton, last year the Sunderland.

This year I'm planning on a real challenge. So it'll probably be the Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier with a lot of aftermarket and even more filler.

At the moment that is the plan. It might change as I may have to work on Christmas Eve until closedown.

It just depends on the timetable which we've not had sight of yet.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Wings looking very nice, and v. jealous of the Spit!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

From the little I was allowed to caress and fondle it's seems a real beauty.

Yes, there was drooling involved. :blush:

1 hour ago, Tomjw said:

I agree with everyone else, your wings look great 👍 

Whilst I've been eyeing up Airfix's new tool Spit, I've been wondering whether to sell my old tool Mk.Vb and all the aftermarket and buy the Mk.IXc, or just build the damn thing. It's not often I'll build the same aircraft more than one...

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I would just build it. It could be fun.:D

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

I suspect the new 1/24 Spitfire us the most fondled model in the world. It really does look great, feels nice too! 😄

Your swordfish wings look good. Not sure how I missed this build until now. I usually follow biplane builds like a shadow. 

Richie

Thanks Richie,

Nice to have you along.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

The wings have had a clear coat.

Then a wash into the control surfaces and after that some oil work to get a little more variation.

ygXtWtk.jpg

SBsdqvo.jpg

112bKIQ.jpg

5aTKQj0.jpg

I was going to do the centre top wing but noticed that I'd chipped some EDSG on the PE.

That has been touched up and I will get on with the rest of it then.

I also made a start on the torpedo but there are some very visible ejector pin marks and I'm waiting for the Mr. Surfacer to dry on them then I can start building it.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

The windsock great Alistair,  cracking work. Gonna be very impressive when hung on the fuselage. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's going to be a biggie.

Still don't know where it's going to go.

Another problem for future me.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I like the effect you’ve achieved on the wings Alistair, very convincing of a used fabric finish without it looking unrealistically threadbare.

Thanks Mark,

Sheer blind luck I'm afraid. I just kept working the oils until it looked ok.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got up this morning to find that there had been a cat in box scenario.

fFHCvcW.jpg

CdxPIyq.jpg

One of the rudder trim tabs had disappeared as well so I replaced that with a bit of scrap PE spframe.

z1Ut30g.jpg

This is the culprit but he says it was nothing to do with him and that "A big boy did it and ran away"

nu2G9O1.jpg

There's nothing unfixable but it stopped me giving the underside Sky a respray in a couple of places.

I decided to get on with the torpedo while the glue was curing on the tab.

I'd sanded down the seams yesterday after a second application of dissolved putty.

Then a quick spray to check the seams, which were all good so I then rescribed the necessary lines and fitted the PE for the torpedo.

xL89vxL.jpg

0RJn2UL.jpg

pCdfKNm.jpg

rUFHXWB.jpg

It was then given a coat of Mr. Color Gloss Black in prep for painting.

0Fv1YH6.jpg

Edit: I've noticed in the picture that there was a rough patch towards the rear.

That has now been sanded and polished and I'll give it a fresh spray tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Arrghhjh!!! The cat problem is a common sufferance of model making. Even for those who don't have a cat! A neighbours kitten wandered into my home last summer, leapt onto my shelf and utterly destroyed  3 Spitfires and 2 hurricanes. I don't think even Adolf Galland had that much success in a single sortie. He was very cute though! 

Richie

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Arrghhjh!!! The cat problem

😺   I’ve left a happy face, certainly not for the wanton destruction, just because the last line is amusing. And the fact my neighbours cat wanted to come in ours only a few hours ago, Mrs B was very insistent that Oscar bog off.  My own Cat seems to know my limitations 🐈‍⬛.  Don’t mess with my paint brushes or else.   🙀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Alistair the repair and the Torpedo look good, what cheeky pussy cat, he does have a rather guilty look on his face 😀  a big boy did it and ran away, I like that and mag have to use that myself:wicked:

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

He's not the one that usually climbs into boxes though, it's the other one. So, he may be telling the truth but I saw him climbing out so.....

20 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Arrghhjh!!! The cat problem is a common sufferance of model making. Even for those who don't have a cat! A neighbours kitten wandered into my home last summer, leapt onto my shelf and utterly destroyed  3 Spitfires and 2 hurricanes. I don't think even Adolf Galland had that much success in a single sortie. He was very cute though! 

Richie

Sorry to hear that,

This is the first time that either of mine have done anything like it.

I can't blame him too much as I'd left the box open under a desk. Too much temptation.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

It's about time I got on with the fuselage.

Am I putting off rigging the wings until I can't put it off any more, possibly,well probably.

Anyway it was about time I did some more to this part of the kit.

So, masking applied.

xu46fsc.jpg

FMfjmQC.jpg

Then I ventured out into the cold and got some Dark Slate Grey laid down.

FARpEzd.jpg

sp2XyTq.jpg

I managed to get some Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black and Xtreme Metals Steel on the torpedo as well.

qHGt3fL.jpg

That may be it for tonight as I'm off to get the roast lamb in the oven, but if I get some time then I'll do some lightening to that in prep for EDSG tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Alistair, can't wit to see the EDSG on too.  The Torpedo looks good too.

What are you going to rig the wings with?

When you start you find out it's not as bad as you think.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Kind of looking forward to it myself.

I'll be using the kit PE for the rigging.

It's not fear that's causing my reluctance it's purely laziness about cutting the flaming stuff out. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

When it was a bit less cold I ventured into the freezer/garage and got the lightened Dark Slate Grey down and then masked up for the Extra Dark Sea Grey.

Which then had some lightening done.

OOv3Lcs.jpg

koLvYNL.jpg

Back to the house and once dried the masking putty was removed.

A word of warning for anyone using this stuff. You need to be quick as it spreads and droops.

It also sticks and tears foam masking and doesn't come off.

Ask me how I found that one out. I only lost a fingernails worth,, so, no harm done.

As I had been volunteered to assist with some domestic chores just after I had set the stuff by the time I sprayed this happened.

jwizfbg.jpg

fpUNNt3.jpg

B9lRmFH.jpg

Not a huge problem just a few touch ups.

When these were done the entire thing was unmasked to see what I had.

XUJCJeh.jpg

GdSlCpO.jpg

Happy with that, I think.

I'll see what the cold light of day tomorrow shows.

If it's all good then the next thing to do will be to paint the roundels, fin flash and the red letter H on the tail.

One more pic as it's a long time since I had this view.

SYUUKth.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6