Will find myself an ocean, Sail into the blue - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish MK.I

After being badgered, cajoled and told I was doing this by The Swordfish Squad. :whistle:(You Know Who You Are):wicked:

I have unwillingly ;) relented and am going to attempt this beast.

fmy6a97.jpg

azpBWTW.jpg

mn4tpiI.jpg

I won't be using these clear bits.

Pyt7NGp.jpg

nbhsyZk.jpg

1feeveL.jpg

5cAHfRB.jpg

leFyrvz.jpg

IBACcSI.jpg

jXD1E9P.jpg

h2uZjBG.jpg

5Avw7av.jpg

UBcR7Xv.jpg

xIqZp9A.jpg

sESOvCe.jpg

hd2Jykc.jpg

2RoQhNl.jpg

mvUWB5Z.jpg

UiDZmMy.jpg

And some goodies that I was badgered into getting as well.

JSkX8P1.jpg

That's it for tonight.

I may start butchery tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

Great colour scheme option out of the box, nice looking kit detail from the sprues.

Looking forward to your future installments on this one 

Thanks very much,

I'll get to it as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I didn't know you were getting a Swordfish!!!

Aye Right. :rofl2:

10 hours ago, mark.au said:

Oh oh oh, I am beyond excited!  🥳

I finally got there Mark,

You should see some progress soon. 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dunny said:

Of this I am sure

Thanks Roger,

I'm glad someone's got some confidence in me. :D.

I've never built anything this big before and am a little intimidated, but I'll have a crack at it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Aha! In before it gets completed!

Great to see this little GB. When I saw the intimidating scale in the title, I thought 'yknow, there's a chance that if I start a swordfish myself, I might have the cockpit painted before at least one of them still isn't finished'. Then I realised it was Alistair building it and that idea went out the window; I doubt I'll even finish making my morning coffee in time!

Clear fuselage was a bit of a whack idea from Trumpeter for this subject!

Andy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ah yes I do live the Swordfish, can’t imagine what a 1/32 model would be like to build. I reckon there will be some engineering challenges ahead. Looking forward to tagging along.

077-BDE73-CAF9-4-A8-A-A1-C6-09-DFE6534-AI’d also recommend this to get you in the spirit :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Aha! In before it gets completed!

Great to see this little GB. When I saw the intimidating scale in the title, I thought 'yknow, there's a chance that if I start a swordfish myself, I might have the cockpit painted before at least one of them still isn't finished'. Then I realised it was Alistair building it and that idea went out the window; I doubt I'll even finish making my morning coffee in time!

Clear fuselage was a bit of a whack idea from Trumpeter for this subject!

Andy

Andy have you noticed that I started the Sunderland nearly 9 months ago. ;).

Not sure what they were thinking with the clear fuselage unless it's one half used and masked up with only a few see through bits.

Far too much trouble for me. :D

47 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Ah yes I do live the Swordfish, can’t imagine what a 1/32 model would be like to build. I reckon there will be some engineering challenges ahead. Looking forward to tagging along.

077-BDE73-CAF9-4-A8-A-A1-C6-09-DFE6534-AI’d also recommend this to get you in the spirit :) 

Welcome aboard.

It could be a long trip though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I've never built anything this big before and am a little intimidated

Who are you trying to kid? We all know it'll be finished by the weekend.

Looking forward to another masterclass in plastic bothering. The popcorn is at the ready!

Craig.

• Haha 2

And we're off,

As I had the Interior green out for the Sunderland I decided it was way past time that I cut some plastic on this one.

tD27EoD.jpg

k8UKaRT.jpg

aEjFIJe.jpg

VimHEc3.jpg

I put the seat together after a light treatment on the cushion with some Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber oils.

BdyL2AX.jpg

I'll need to paint some stuff up by hand but at least it's started.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent,  great to see this underway Alistair,  really looking forward to seeing it progress.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'll get some more paint on today.

10 hours ago, mark.au said:

More swordfishy goodness to follow along with, nice start Alistair.  Did you decide on a scheme yet?

Thanks Roger,

As for a scheme.  It will be the box one of Swordfish Mk.I, W5984, H.

Now, there is a reason for this. Lets travel back in time to 1975. I was in First Year at Dingwall Academy and our English teacher gave us the option of getting cheap books from Scholastic Publications.

The one that caught my eye was Pursuit by Ludicrous Kennedy.

I devoured it and it fired my imagination even more so when my Dad advised me that he had been involved in The Channel Dash whilst training in Dover.

W5984 was involved on the attack on The Bismark but was unfortunately lost, along with many others, in the tragic attacks during The Dash.

It's a huge bit of nostalgia for me and one of the main reasons for wanting to build a Swordfish.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

As for a scheme.  It will be the box one of Swordfish Mk.I, W5984, H.

Now, there is a reason for this. Lets travel back in time to 1975. I was in First Year at Dingwall Academy and our English teacher gave us the option of getting cheap books from Scholastic Publications.

The one that caught my eye was Pursuit by Ludicrous Kennedy.

I devoured it and it fired my imagination even more so when my Dad advised me that he had been involved in The Channel Dash whilst training in Dover.

W5984 was involved on the attack on The Bismark but was unfortunately lost, along with many others, in the tragic attacks during The Dash.

It's a huge bit of nostalgia for me and one of the main reasons for wanting to build a Swordfish.

What a great story, thank you for sharing that.  It’s a great choice of scheme, I almost did a Channel Dash Swordfish myself but I didn’t want to write that story, too tragic.  I can’t wait to see how you go with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alistair,

Nothing like a personal connection to bring a build to life. As a fellow Stringbag victim I only hope that you can derive a little joy from such coercion 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, mark.au said:

What a great story, thank you for sharing that.  It’s a great choice of scheme, I almost did a Channel Dash Swordfish myself but I didn’t want to write that story, too tragic.  I can’t wait to see how you go with it.

Thanks Mark,

It'll be fun.

30 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Nothing like a personal connection to bring a build to life. As a fellow Stringbag victim I only hope that you can derive a little joy from such coercion 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger.

I'll struggle along in my usual passive aggressive manner showing my displeasure at being forced into it. :rofl2:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a great personal connection to build the Swordfish model you always wanted:whistle:

Looking forward to this even more so.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Aye it's not as if I've been pushed into it or anything. :wink:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

Oooooo great to see the voclpit coming together Alistair,  looks good.  

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great so far.

The Trumpeter kit looks amazing, but I have to say it makes you realise what a great job Airfix did with their kit in 1/72 (the second time around).

Regards,

Adrian

It certainly does  the newer Airfix kit is amazing .  The Trumpeter tooling looks very similar to the Tamiya 48th scale tooling so far.

Chris

• Thanks 1