British Airways BAC/Aérospatiale Concorde, Heller 1:125 (Chatham)

I built this model for display on the window sill in my office.

This is the second Heller 1:125 Concorde that I made; the first one I gave to a coworker several years ago.

No real issues with the kit, but it's in Air France only.  I bought the British Airways decals from F-DCAL, and they went on without any problems.

The gaps under the wings needed some work, and there were no decals for the heated leading edges on either the Heller decal sheet, or the F-DCAL sheet.  I wasn't even going to try to paint them by hand...

This kit offers a positionable nose, but it has no mechanisms in it to connect the visor to the nose like the 1:72 has.  Instead, Heller offers two visors to build the kit either in the raised position, or for lowered position.  It's not entirely accurate in that with the second option, the visor sits on the nose, rather than inside it - it's just that the second visor is shorter to look like it has been retracted.

For the Revell kit, I put the visor inside the nose, where it slides when the nose is lowered.  

I did try to mount the visor in the same place for the Heller build, but it's too large to fit inside the nose.

In any case, the Heller kit has an accurate flight deck windows, in contrast to the flat-faced single-piece representation in the Revell kit (which I corrected with a resin replacement).

IMG_7706

IMG_7707

IMG_7708

IMG_7709

IMG_7710

IMG_7711

And with its 1:144 cousins from Revell (left), Airfix (right), and the Airfix/Heller/Revell kit in 1:72 (back):

IMG_7712

You may also see the other 1:72 just off to the left...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Superb Heller Concorde Neil.

A lot better than my attempt a few years ago.

That Heller kit gave me a lot of headache and I really hated that kit.

You made a superb model out of it.

Quite a collection of Concordes 👍

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 18:46, Alex1978 said:

Superb Heller Concorde Neil.

A lot better than my attempt a few years ago.

That Heller kit gave me a lot of headache and I really hated that kit.

You made a superb model out of it.

Quite a collection of Concordes 👍

Thanks for sharing

Alex

I remember your Air France build - I think it looked really smart!

Do you remember how the decals were?  I really struggled to apply the tail decals that came with the Heller kit.  

They weren't sticky enough, and would not conform around the curves of the rudder actuator fairings.

I may try an Air France one again some day...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neilg said:

I remember your Air France build - I think it looked really smart!

Do you remember how the decals were?  I really struggled to apply the tail decals that came with the Heller kit.  

They weren't sticky enough, and would not conform around the curves of the rudder actuator fairings.

I may try an Air France one again some day...

As far as I remember,the kits decals did work fine,I also used a detail/windows set from Draw Decal.

Hellers decal set was very simplistic with no external details,not even door frames.

Apart from that,the quality was very nice though.

Edited by Alex1978